Is or was a Husky 242xp a good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking at one on ebay, needs p&c, anyone have a p&c laying around?

It was, and still is, an exremely good lightweight limbing saw, and I don't think OEM parts are a problem to get.

It was replaced in 1999 by the 45cc 346xp, that is a slightly heavier and slower reving saw, with just a tad more max power.

Thanks for the reply sawtroll, does doing a p&c on this saw require any thing special. I have never rebuilt a saw before and dont want to get something to complicated. Have been wanting better limbing saw and thought this might be the ticket.

The 242XP was one of the highest revving stock saws of all time. A p&c swap should be easy, but make sure the crank and or bearings arent shot also. Also plan on rebuilding the carb and resealing the crankcase to make sure everything is done right. Dont want to burn up a new p/c with a bad crank seal

i once owned a 42,which was a "homeowner" version of the 242.The 42 was a great little saw.Actually the 246 replaced the 242,which I also owned.If the 242 cuts anything like the 246 its an excellent saw for its size and weight.Im more fond of Stihl products,but Husky built a winner in the 246.Not often will you find a saw that small with that much power and chain speed and even had a decompression valve.

Looking at one on ebay, needs p&c, anyone have a p&c laying around?

Are you trying to buy my saw out from under me? J/k, I think I have enough, however, I was looking at the same saw, they have a vey good reputaion in these parts, if I recall, these saws turn an incredible 15.500rpm! I'll pass so you can get a reasonable deal on the e-bay listing, PM me for piston & cyl info.

i once owned a 42,which was a "homeowner" version of the 242.The 42 was a great little saw.Actually the 246 replaced the 242,which I also owned.If the 242 cuts anything like the 246 its an excellent saw for its size and weight.Im more fond of Stihl products,but Husky built a winner in the 246.Not often will you find a saw that small with that much power and chain speed and even had a decompression valve.

The 246 never replaced the 242xp, just complimented it as a less costly version, with less rpms and power. It was a true 46cc saw, unlike the later 346xp, that was 45cc, and now is 50cc.

The 246 was replaced by the 351, and then the 353, as the lesser saw in the class (but still pro quality).

Last edited:
hehehehe

There was a good husky made???

Couldn't help it... hehehehehehee

:clap: :jester:

thanks for the info saw troll,I always thought the 346 replaced the 246,now I know.How bout the 257?Did the 357 replace it?Thanks for the info

Nope, the 357xp replaced the 254xp, and the 359 replaced the 257.......

I wonder who you really are - some funny posts in another tread......:dizzy: :confused:

Last edited:
Fish if you are interested in the saw dont let me stop you from bidding. My sub concious will probably say dont buy it.

just a new guy here addicted to chainsaws and Advil.Ive owned dozens and dozens of chainsaws down through the years and wish I had them all now.Even back to my very first saw,a Mac 110 which came with a 10 and 14" bar.I got a full time job,but work my saws alot on weekends and evenings cuttin firewood,some logs,and millions of fence post.I also build fence.Anyhow,most of yall seem like you know your stuff and I look forward to reading many more of the post here

Nope, the 357xp replaced the 254xp, and the 359 replaced the 257.......

I wonder who you really are - some funny posts in another tread......:dizzy: :confused:

just a new guy here addicted to chainsaws and Advil.Ive owned dozens and dozens of chainsaws down through the years and wish I had them all now.Even back to my very first saw,a Mac 110 which came with a 10 and 14" bar.I got a full time job,but work my saws alot on weekends and evenings cuttin firewood,some logs,and millions of fence post.I also build fence.Anyhow,most of yall seem like you know your stuff and I look forward to reading many more of the post here

...and now they are here as well......

Last edited:
Back