Is pull cord size some type of national secret?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been searching around they give a part number but not the size. I finally found a 372xp pull cord is 4.5mm and I believe my 359 is 3.5mm dia. pull cord does that sound right?

3.5 will do just fine. That's what most if not all come stock with. The recoil spool is 5mm so a 4.5mm cord might be tight enough to jump the spool when it recoils.

Been searching around they give a part number but not the size. I finally found a 372xp pull cord is 4.5mm and I believe my 359 is 3.5mm dia. pull cord does that sound right?

You ask the best questions. I knew I saw a spec sheet someplace, you made me go lookin.
Found this old Jonsered service bulletin from 1990 and revised a bit.

starter cord revised 001.jpg

Size doesn't matter. Color and style do. You can get hot pink, glow yellow, or camo parachute cord, your saw will thank you

Actually never tried it, put it on my buddies plate compacted, pink, he was like wtf???

Size definately matters when it comes to pull cords and peters.
But they are on opposite poles when it comes to swelling.
Its a cold environment thing.

That thicker stuff works on mid size saws until cold wheather hits and then it wont recoil without hiting with axe or a fire.

I have had luck with ordinary nylon rope.. perhaps a little less durable, but I haven't had it fail yet.. Length? wrap until the spool is full and give another 3" for knots and lead-in.. always easier to shorten than to lengthen, and there's nothing worse than too short a pull cord! Make sure to use some quality lube on the recoil assembly.. stuff that doesn't dry out, get gummy, etc

I have had luck with ordinary nylon rope.. perhaps a little less durable, but I haven't had it fail yet.. Length? wrap until the spool is full and give another 3" for knots and lead-in.. always easier to shorten than to lengthen, and there's nothing worse than too short a pull cord! Make sure to use some quality lube on the recoil assembly.. stuff that doesn't dry out, get gummy, etc

Man, if that ain't the truth. :popcorn2:

^^^^^^^^^
Max summer size in winter beats it
I think i get the idea of what you're saying, but want to make sure.. Larger cords are OK in the summer because they're flexible, but when they get cold they get a little too stiff to rewind? Could an extra turn of preload on the spring help?

If you hear a soft gentle hum overhead don't panic (indeed you won't have time to panic), as the drone will release it's guided missile momentarily afterwards.

The secrets of starter cord sizes is only revealed to selected few deemed worthy to carry forth those secrets from one generation to the next.

We are watching you !!!!!!

Didn't see it mentioned, but by wrapping the spool full, the diameter of the pull loop it larger on the spool which produces more torque for the same pulling force. So, if you have a modded saw with high compression (or any large displacement saw), a fully loaded spool will help you overcome the compression during starting!

Thanks for the chart woods works, the 372xp is a 501201502 so your chart says 4.0 - 4.2 mm dia. The 359 is a little smaller 3.8 mm at the farm store all they had close was 4.5 mm and 3.5 mm. I bought 12 feet of each.

Didn't see it mentioned, but by wrapping the spool full, the diameter of the pull loop it larger on the spool which produces more torque for the same pulling force. So, if you have a modded saw with high compression (or any large displacement saw), a fully loaded spool will help you overcome the compression during starting!

And a larger dia. rope would make pulling a high compression saw a little easier. less revolutions per foot of rope, but more torque.

Latest posts

Back