Is the 395 air filtration OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Was warned recently the husky 395 filtration isn't the best and a few saws are failing. Anyone experienced this or heard anything similar please? Am considering buying such a saw but a bit worried about the filtration.

if you saw some of the old 395's here still being used for production you wouldn't worry about it lol 394/395 live to high hours just like a 660 stihl, hell, i've even seen a few low top 394's with smashed AF covers being run like that for years and still survive. not ideal at all but just saying they are tough saws.

I can't comment on dusty areas but cutting in normal areas the 394/395 in my opinion has one of the best filtration systems out their. I hardly ever even check my 394 and 395 because they stay so clean. Of all the things to worry about the 395 filtration isn't one of them... And I put a lot of time on them weekly. It's a proven saw, it's only problem is its weight lol

I can't comment on dusty areas but cutting in normal areas the 394/395 in my opinion has one of the best filtration systems out their. I hardly ever even check my 394 and 395 because they stay so clean. Of all the things to worry about the 395 filtration isn't one of them... And I put a lot of time on them weekly. It's a proven saw, it's only problem is its weight lol
With certain trees in dusty dry environments these filters do fail, the wood in Australia produces extremely fine powder like dust, and from what MCW has posted the only stock filters that work without oil are the Stihl HD2 filters and the HD filter for the 790/7910.

Personally air filtration has always been a Husky xp strong point to the stihl pro models. The new hd2 filters are pretty nice but it always seemed the husky filters stay cleaner longer. Personally though if i was spending 1200 on a chainsaw Id go for the MS 661-C-M. If you plan on using the saw for several hours you will thank me for my suggestion. Dont call me a stihl fan boy either because I love my 372xp the most, but this new stihl is amazing too especially being a semi large saw. My saw fleet consists of three brands so I can give unbiased opinions.

Stihl MS 201 C-EM
Echo cs500p
Husqvarna 372xp
Stihl MS 661 C-M

R.I.P 041 farm boss

Personally air filtration has always been a Husky xp strong point to the stihl pro models.

The filtration on my 395XP is very nice. On my 2014 vintage 562XP, however, the filtration SUCKS. Here are a couple pics I shot this morning. This is after I'd used my saw a week or two ago for about an hour of cutting & noodling some decent chunks of wood for a friend who'd had a tree dropped.

Prior to use, the air filter had been blown out nice & clean. See all the crap inside the air filter, plus waaaay too much crap inside the saw's air intake. Not impressive at all. I may end up squirting a small bead of silicone caulk in the air filter mating surface (the groove) to better seal against the intake flange. In a properly designed/engineer/tested "professional" saw, the end user shouldn't have to **** around with stuff like this. IMHO.
air-filter-inside.jpg
air-intake.jpg

The filtration on my 395XP is very nice. On my 2014 vintage 562XP, however, the filtration SUCKS. Here are a couple pics I shot this morning. This is after I'd used my saw a week or two ago for about an hour of cutting & noodling some decent chunks of wood for a friend who'd had a tree dropped.

Prior to use, the air filter had been blown out nice & clean. See all the crap inside the air filter, plus waaaay too much crap inside the saw's air intake. Not impressive at all. I may end up squirting a small bead of silicone caulk in the air filter mating surface (the groove) to better seal against the intake flange. In a properly designed/engineer/tested "professional" saw, the end user shouldn't have to **** around with stuff like this. IMHO.
View attachment 505516
View attachment 505517
The 550 and 562 have very poorly designed air filter setups. Not long ago it was Stihl that had sub-par filters, which is no longer longer the case with the new sealed surfaces and new filter material.

The round/oval 'auto style' filters like the 395 has and the modern stihls have are the way forward. Such designs are challenging to fit in top handles but the 241cm is great. I hope husky will do something similar on their 50/60cc saws in the future.

Latest posts

Back