Is The MS441 Being Discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 461 wins the power/wt duel, but the 441 has M-Tronic, spring AV, and tech to keep the filter cleaner. I can't see them dropping the 441 unless there is a replacement with those features.

FYI, I will always want a good running 70 cc saw, because when you can only take one where you are going, and you may have to limb and buck, it is the saw to take.

Mike that doesnt even make sense unless your a timber faller hiking through the woods with your saw , gas , oil etc.

You cant limb and buck trees with a 40 , 50 , 60 cc saw ?..that would kinda depend on the size of the tree wouldnt it ?

Where do you fall , limb ,and buck wood that you can only take one saw ?

The 462 will definitely be M-tronic and have spring AV. I doubt that it will have FI. FI is being touted in the carbon fiber 80cc saw but Stihl says that is a limited prototype design, and will not go into production (at least not any time soon). Meanwhile the 462 is being field tested now and is due out next year this time.

I will not be surprised if Stihl drops the 441; that is their oldest design air strato saw still being produced. It was never well received and never sold well. The 440 spanked it in sales. The 461 is a good design and has the next generation engine. The 461 was only intended as a stop-gap saw to tide things over until after the 661 was released. That was recalled and delayed a year, but now fixed (bad cylinders) and back in production. That leaves the 881, and I would predict a 60cc exhaust scavenged saw to follow (the 363). After the 462 is released, the 881 would be the next one on the design block. I think it would be a good FI saw, it already weighs and costs a lot. Pure speculation on my part, but that is how I would do it.

I am tempted to get a 461 if they are lowering the price. It is smoother than the 44o and has the power of the 460. What's not to like? I am not sold on Mtronic yet, and I like tuning carbs with my orange screwgies. AV would be nice, but that would mean Mtronic. Decisions decisions. Husky seems to be stalling on the 372xt replacement. The AV on the 372xt turns me off (the 372xp was a much better saw, IMO). The replacement '572xt' has been field tested for over a year now. Where the fork is it?

I am not sold on Mtronic yet, and I like tuning carbs with my orange screwgies.

Are you planning to make the gtg this year? I would like to do the lakeside muff mod on my 361 beforehand and am hoping someone there will teach me how to tune the carb.

A fuel injected, spring AV and Mtronic 462 with factory reduced wieght bar would be truly feared in the husky R&D dept. Husky will rush the 572xp (like the 562xp) to the market in order to get sales. When the MS462/MS442 hits the shelf l would imagine 572 sales will slow considerably. The 441 l believe was the first Mtronic in stihl's lineup so it's due for an upgrade, strato tech has changed and they are doing things a bit different now. All good news for the sawyer but bad news for the wallet as we all want these new saws. Even if the 572 is just a 562 with more displacement, l'd buy one but l am particularly interested in the four series Stihl.

Mike that doesnt even make sense unless your a timber faller hiking through the woods with your saw , gas , oil etc.

You cant limb and buck trees with a 40 , 50 , 60 cc saw ?..that would kinda depend on the size of the tree wouldnt it ?

Where do you fall , limb ,and buck wood that you can only take one saw ?

We all have different situations. I often have to climb up some steep grades to drop one or more trees, and limb them. If the tree (s) are over 20" diameter, I'll usually choose one of the 044s for that situation. If you need one hand to help you climb, your only taking one saw.

My brother is a PE, and he often takes on difficult jobs involving steep grades. (He takes pride in doing projects others can't). Often the trees have to be removed for a driveway, house or retaining wall. He often takes over "failed" projects. It gets interesting.

The 461 wins the power/wt duel, but the 441 has M-Tronic, spring AV, and tech to keep the filter cleaner. I can't see them dropping the 441 unless there is a replacement with those features.

FYI, I will always want a good running 70 cc saw, because when you can only take one where you are going, and you may have to limb and buck, it is the saw to take.
I take one saw to cut firewood a lot of the time. I would rather be overpowered than underpowered. So I take the 441rcm.

The 462 will definitely be M-tronic and have spring AV. I doubt that it will have FI. FI is being touted in the carbon fiber 80cc saw but Stihl says that is a limited prototype design, and will not go into production (at least not any time soon). Meanwhile the 462 is being field tested now and is due out next year this time.

I will not be surprised if Stihl drops the 441; that is their oldest design air strato saw still being produced. It was never well received and never sold well. The 440 spanked it in sales. The 461 is a good design and has the next generation engine. The 461 was only intended as a stop-gap saw to tide things over until after the 661 was released. That was recalled and delayed a year, but now fixed (bad cylinders) and back in production. That leaves the 881, and I would predict a 60cc exhaust scavenged saw to follow (the 363). After the 462 is released, the 881 would be the next one on the design block. I think it would be a good FI saw, it already weighs and costs a lot. Pure speculation on my part, but that is how I would do it.

I am tempted to get a 461 if they are lowering the price. It is smoother than the 44o and has the power of the 460. What's not to like? I am not sold on Mtronic yet, and I like tuning carbs with my orange screwgies. AV would be nice, but that would mean Mtronic. Decisions decisions. Husky seems to be stalling on the 372xt replacement. The AV on the 372xt turns me off (the 372xp was a much better saw, IMO). The replacement '572xt' has been field tested for over a year now. Where the fork is it?
the fuel injected chop saws were just to test the waters/prototype as well. they will all be fuel injected within the next year. i would definately not bet against a direct injected 462, there is alot of buzz about it among the reps.

Are you planning to make the gtg this year? I would like to do the lakeside muff mod on my 361 beforehand and am hoping someone there will teach me how to tune the carb.

Dunno... seems I have made enemies here. Tuning a carb is easy, especially the 036. Maybe drop down to my place across the river here and I can show you how its done. I have a stock 361 and a muffler modded one in use right now. .

Well, I still doubt that Stihl will put EFI on the 462, after the fiasco with the 661. Especially if they are dropping the 441. I do not see a 442 in the mix either. The carbon fiber EFI 80cc super Stihl saws are still a ways off yet. Also if the 462 was EFI, people would have leaked the info from field tests. I have not heard anything about it on that saw. Not in the EU, the UK, or here in the states. The safe and sane bet would be a 462 with spring AV, 461 motor, Mtronic, and maybe a laser like the EU 661.

if you have a local deere dealer, they should be well set up. there are alot of big deere dealers in your state. stihl provides each dealer with a full line display.
The Deere /Stihl I go to now in Lexington, Il. does not have a full pro line at the store.

I don't really care. They can get anything I want w/i a couple hours and a discount when paid with cash

The Deere /Stihl I go to now in Lexington, Il. does not have a full pro line at the store.

I don;'t really care. They can get anything I want w/i a couple hours and a discount when paid with cash
You must be close to Peoria? That's where the distribution hub is which must be nice for your dealer...unfortunately that will go away in a year or so as the distributor there will be closing up and moving to Madison wi :(

Back