Is there a better $400 59cc saw than an Echo CS-590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not trying to start a fight but it is an honest question from someone who wants a bigger saw. I know, the 590 isn't the most powerful 59cc saw nor the shiniest in the stable. But it can cut big wood for a small price, some changes are necessary though. I want to clear some trees around my place but I don't heat with firewood. So a giant pro saw would be nice, but I might not use it after I get my trees cut. I hear a 590 is supposed to respond well to a muffler mod. And a lot of people around here like their 590s. What says you guys? Thanks!

The Criteria For What I am Doing:

Small felling and bucking. Definitely nothing bigger than 40". I need to take some measurements and see what the diameter of the trees are that I am felling. No large timber just weed trees that have been left to grow for 20 years.

I would like it to be able to bore cut. I would probably change the stock bar and chain to something else more common.

I believe the 590 shares a chassis with the 620 and would accept a full wrap handle from a 620, if I needed it.

Has dogs. Good way to kill a saw with dull chains. I keep my chains sharp.

The 590 is about it unles you buy a used stihl 036/ms360.the 590/600 does respond well to a muffler mod.a more common setup for a bar and chain setup would be a large mount husky bar and more common 72 dl chain.

Buy a 590 and don't look back. Another thing to consider would be a second hand ms361/562xp/555/6400. All good saws but the 562 is prone to carb issues. Anyone who owns a 590 is more than happy with them. Just if you get a 590 be sure to remove the little red tabs by removing them and filing/grinding them off so you have a safe tuneable carb. l would do this as soon as you get it so your ready for a proper good break in.

Nothing better New for $400
Adam (johnsered racket) had a new Redmax 7000 (70cc)
He said it could be had for $550 ish you might pm him
I ran it at the Iowa gtg Saturday , it runs good

I am supposed to be leaving for work. Instead I am typing...

I hear what you are saying about the bar. I guess a standard husky 20" bar would work. Maybe I could get the dealer to sell the 590 to me without the bar. What pitch bar does it come with? I want to say it is 3/ths. If it is 3/8ths, I THINK husqvarna makes a roller guide for it... And I would be putting a husky bar on it anyway...

Oh with mounting a husky bar you may have to drill the oil holes out a bit.i'm running a husky bar on my 600p and it seems to be oiling but not enough.been meaning to work on it but just havent had time.

The 590 is about it unles you buy a used stihl 036/ms360.the 590/600 does respond well to a muffler mod.a more common setup for a bar and chain setup would be a large mount husky bar and more common 72 dl chain.

+1 I have the Timberwolf and 620P. Both nice saws but using either on 40" trees may be pushing it.

Define "better". Apparently it is a strong well made saw with good power. It's cheap because it's lacking in engine technology, and it is common in most industries to move out the old tech stuff at a discount. Echo is now bringing out strato engined saws (550P) so it will be interesting to see what happens with the older designs. If none of that matters to you than the 590 is better.

Define "better". Apparently it is a strong well made saw with good power. It's cheap because it's lacking in engine technology, and it is common in most industries to move out the old tech stuff at a discount. Echo is now bringing out strato engined saws (550P) so it will be interesting to see what happens with the older designs. If none of that matters to you than the 590 is better.

The CS550p has been out for several years and most likely Echo's worst sell. Quite a few new models have come out since the 550 all with no strato. Steve

The CS550p has been out for several years and most likely Echo's worst sell. Quite a few new models have come out since the 550 all with no strato. Steve
Yeap looks like on my limited knowledge of saw economics if they were going to carry on with strato charging it would have made more sense to bump the cs500 down to the cs490 discontinued the cs500 and came up with something strato charged to take its place along side of the cs550.but would have really not made much sense since both the cs500 and 550 are so close in size.the way i see it if they were going to carry on with strato they would be in full force doing so.i'm thinking they will carry on with cat mufflers and restrictions as long as they can.

Latest posts

Back