Is this a good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's both saws for $250. So, yeah, $125 each. The 266 has a 32" bar, the 55 has 18".

Seems like a good deal, but again, I don't know these particular Husky models. What I could find is the 266 is about a 70cc saw, roughly the same size as a Stihl 044. The 51 sounds like the little bro' to the Husky 55, which seems to be well-liked here on the forum.

Well, I went ahead and bought these 2 saws, the pair for $250. :)

I will post pix if I can find my camera! The 32" bar is cool, but I suspect that I will swap it out for something a little smaller. What's a good length for the 266? I cut mostly fir, some oak, maple, madrone if I can get it--whatever wood I can gets my hands on. Anywhere from 4" to 24"+, but mostly 10"-16" range.

I have been running 40:1 in the my old Pro Mac 700, since that's what I was told when I bought it used about 5 yrs ago. Recently, I hear 50:1 recommend, at least for the newer saws, but should I run 40:1 if it's better for the older Huskys?

I don't know the age of the Husky 266 and 51, and neither does the seller. He said he never used them, just sorta inherited them when he moved in and needs to clear out the garage. Is there a way to tell the age? I can check for serial nums or whatever.

Does the 266 say XP on it? Is the chainbrake steel or plastic? I have owned a few 266XP saws, they are great, a 32" is too much, a 24" is about it. 40-1 won't hurt. I would change the air filter, plug, clean out the oil tank, stuff like that.

50:1 Stihl Ultra and 92-93 oc. seems to be the recomended fuel of choice here on AS. And yes, you can run it in older saw as well. WDO

Does the 266 say XP on it? Is the chainbrake steel or plastic? I have owned a few 266XP saws, they are great, a 32" is too much, a 24" is about it. 40-1 won't hurt. I would change the air filter, plug, clean out the oil tank, stuff like that.

I can see the vestiges of blue "XP" on the 266 filter cover, and the chainbrake is steel. I will look into new bar/chain (tho I must admit the big bar looks manly, heh-heh) :cheers:

I can see the vestiges of blue "XP" on the 266 filter cover, and the chainbrake is steel. I will look into new bar/chain (tho I must admit the big bar looks manly, heh-heh) :cheers:

Good, the XP model is the best. That brake is adjustable, and better than the plastic one which replaced it. I figure your saw is from the 80s.

Latest posts

Back