ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by firstbassman, Mar 9, 2009.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman ArboristSite Lurker

I have a chance at a used Husky 266xp and a Husky 51, both for $250. Good deal, or not? I'm not too familiar with these saws.

2. SilverBox

SilverBox AboristSite Guru

$250 each? or both saws for $250? If its $125 a saw its a pretty decent deal if they are both runners.

3. firstbassman

That's both saws for $250. So, yeah, $125 each. The 266 has a 32" bar, the 55 has 18".

Seems like a good deal, but again, I don't know these particular Husky models. What I could find is the 266 is about a 70cc saw, roughly the same size as a Stihl 044. The 51 sounds like the little bro' to the Husky 55, which seems to be well-liked here on the forum.

4. firstbassman

Well, I went ahead and bought these 2 saws, the pair for $250. :)

I will post pix if I can find my camera! The 32" bar is cool, but I suspect that I will swap it out for something a little smaller. What's a good length for the 266? I cut mostly fir, some oak, maple, madrone if I can get it--whatever wood I can gets my hands on. Anywhere from 4" to 24"+, but mostly 10"-16" range.

I have been running 40:1 in the my old Pro Mac 700, since that's what I was told when I bought it used about 5 yrs ago. Recently, I hear 50:1 recommend, at least for the newer saws, but should I run 40:1 if it's better for the older Huskys?

I don't know the age of the Husky 266 and 51, and neither does the seller. He said he never used them, just sorta inherited them when he moved in and needs to clear out the garage. Is there a way to tell the age? I can check for serial nums or whatever.

5. clearance

clearance Addicted to ArboristSite

Does the 266 say XP on it? Is the chainbrake steel or plastic? I have owned a few 266XP saws, they are great, a 32" is too much, a 24" is about it. 40-1 won't hurt. I would change the air filter, plug, clean out the oil tank, stuff like that.

6. willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer Addicted to ArboristSite

Run a 16-20'' 3/8 pitch on the bigger Husky, 14-16'' .325 pitch on the smaller one. Get some Husky xp oil, mix at 50:1 and tune the carbs.

7. whitedogone

whitedogone Addicted to ArboristSite

50:1 Stihl Ultra and 92-93 oc. seems to be the recomended fuel of choice here on AS. And yes, you can run it in older saw as well. WDO

8. firstbassman

I can see the vestiges of blue "XP" on the 266 filter cover, and the chainbrake is steel. I will look into new bar/chain (tho I must admit the big bar looks manly, heh-heh) :cheers:

9. clearance

clearance Addicted to ArboristSite

Good, the XP model is the best. That brake is adjustable, and better than the plastic one which replaced it. I figure your saw is from the 80s.

10. bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman Addicted to ArboristSite

18 - 20" on the 266, and 14-16 on the 51...just my suggestion.