Is this jug fixable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave27483

Enthusiasts of the chainsaw
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg i had a customer put a screwdriver through the spark plug hole to remove clutch..... I know I know just crazy
However he is know mechanic
Anyways I've fixed many cylinders before but never for this issue
What would all your thoughts be and how would you go about cleaning this up??

Thanks
Do you suggest that I keep the top of the port straight? As in raise the port.?
As it will end up with a blended gaulge
Or do you think it would be OK

Yes as timber tool said you can make that work.... My ms362 had the excact same thing before I rebuilt her, and it's my most used saw now... Just make sure you get it ground down good.... I did look at my piston threw the muffler a week ago, and it has some minor marking, but saw runs flawlessly....image.jpeg

image.jpeg You will do just fine, take your time.... I actually used the piston that was in my saw to... It also had the same mark...I just sanded both out and moved the piston by hand to make sure nothing was hitting... All went well, yours will too.... Keep us posted how it turns out, you will learn something either way!!!!

Ps--- now that I have learned more since my first rebuild, I would have put a meteor piston with caber rings in..... The saw is fine and runs great so I am not changing nothing right now.....

View attachment 521304 You will do just fine, take your time.... I actually used the piston that was in my saw to... It also had the same mark...I just sanded both out and moved the piston by hand to make sure nothing was hitting... All went well, yours will too.... Keep us posted how it turns out, you will learn something either way!!!!

Ps--- now that I have learned more since my first rebuild, I would have put a meteor piston with caber rings in..... The saw is fine and runs great so I am not changing nothing right now.....
Thank you for your reassuring advice !
I will keep you posted on how it turns out
I do have a new piston and ring going in as the piston showed signs of substantial wear.
Did your saw feel like it maintained the same performance as it was after work?

Well let me say I don't know as much as a lot of the guys on here, but I have learned as I go along....I am just glad I seen your thread, as I have done that excact same thing before....

Good idea on getting piston and rings, will last you along time now.... I got the saw in pieces and broke for $40 so I never ran it before they broke it.... However, it is now my most used saw, and I have buried the 20" bar in a lot of shagbark hickory and she never has let me down yet!!!!

Please let me know how she turns out!!!!

No definitely don't use a screw driver lol..... I use a yellow piece of rope and it works great.....I think people that people who fry their Pistons try to fix their saws on their own, and just make it worse... That's what happened with the ms362 I have....

No definitely don't use a screw driver lol..... I use a yellow piece of rope and it works great.....I think people that people who fry their Pistons try to fix their saws on their own, and just make it worse... That's what happened with the ms362 I have....
I have the yellow rope also, use it on saws where muffler is hard to get to like the 031 Stihl and the like.

Ok guys well I finally got around to fixing this cylinder!!
I treated it to a new piston and ring, decarboned the cylinder completely, cleaned up all factory casting defects, reduced squish to 0.020" and muffler modded it
It's now a little screamer
I'll post a video of it running
Unfortunatly I only had an average semi chisel chain at hand

Ok guys well I finally got around to fixing this cylinder!!
I treated it to a new piston and ring, decarboned the cylinder completely, cleaned up all factory casting defects, reduced squish to 0.020" and muffler modded it
It's now a little screamer
I'll post a video of it running
Unfortunatly I only had an average semi chisel chain at hand
Hey that is awesome you stuck with it and got it running strong...I tell ya I was pretty damn excited when I got my ms362 going....

There is a down side, you will know probably try to acquire more broke down saws to fix up..... a year from now you will probably have twice as many saws as you do know LOL..

Good job man!!!!

Back