Is this pine salvegable? Or cut it down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joekidd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Aunt has this pine in her yard and I'm curious as to what you knowledgeable folks think? So many dead branches going up the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Really hard to make a diagnosis based on those pictures, there are several fungal diseases that cause similar symptoms, but if you have other similar spruces nearby it would be good to remove it as soon as possible.
If your aunt wants to keep it until it's a complete eyesore (it's halfway there), it would be advisable to periodically remove all fallen needles from underneath and burn them to avoid spreading the contagion even further.

Really hard to make a diagnosis based on those pictures, there are several fungal diseases that cause similar symptoms, but if you have other similar spruces nearby it would be good to remove it as soon as possible.
If your aunt wants to keep it until it's a complete eyesore (it's halfway there), it would be advisable to periodically remove all fallen needles from underneath and burn them to avoid spreading the contagion even further.

O boy! I raked up all the cones and needles and tossed them in the woods amongst the other trees there. I'm in western Pa and its been in the lower 30s lately, can the disease spread this time of year at this temperature?

The tree will not get any better looking than it is. Might be able to slow the decline down with fertilization, but it will still be an eyesore. Don't worry about the contagion, there is plenty to go around even with cleaning up your needles. Would only spend money and effort on removing the tree and replacing it.

You can always cut it down, but you can't stand it up again, but as others have said, it may be too far gone. I don't know much about tree diseases, however, as a last ditch effort hang a few bird feeders in the tree, as a symbiotic relationship may be developed.

I know it looks ugly with all those dead branches, but generally if the crown is healthy the tree should still have some life left in it.
If it were my tree, I'd prune the trunk to just below the crown, thus getting rid of all those useless trunk limbs.

O boy! I raked up all the cones and needles and tossed them in the woods amongst the other trees there. I'm in western Pa and its been in the lower 30s lately, can the disease spread this time of year at this temperature?

Relax, it's just part of being responsible: when you have a tree you suspect may harbor a fungine infection, it's always better to dispose of the fallen leaves/needles properly.

Removal of dead limbs and fallen debris will be largely cosmetic. There will be plenty of fruiting bodies/innoculum still on the tree and in the neighborhood.

It's an alpine species that generally fair quite poorly in my region due to incompatible site conditions. I always recommend that no more be planted here but Colorado spruces are deeply engrained in the minds of homeowners, landscapers, and growers/nurseries. Not going away anytime soon.

Back