Is this poison oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cherry tree that has been leaning over back yard from woods for years snapped the other night in a storm. I know it isn't poison ivy but could this be poison oak? If not, anybody know what it is? Vines go clear to top and are covered in like a bark, have no little hairs growing out like poison ivy. Hopefully pics work. Thanks 20170503_191739.jpg 20170503_191727.jpg 20170503_191821.jpg

I googled poison oak images before posting and firgured no because all images showed 3 leaves like poison ivy but wanted some expert opinions.

I live in poison oak. I'm scratching as I'm typing this. That is NOT poison oak.

The Los Padres has the absolute oiliest and NASTY oak I've ever worked around.
128b3bae2bb9185b149f37c6c5faabc5.jpg

Wiped out a NG unit in '08, came off the fire and got injections every night.
Last years Soberanes Fire [emoji91] was no different.

Agreed Drip. Do you have a figure on how many PO cases were treated? The local news channel interviewed several crews that were being treated. 100% casualties.

Also, how can I get a hard copy of the BAER catalog? The PDF I have is only a half dozen pages long.

Agreed Drip. Do you have a figure on how many PO cases were treated? The local news channel interviewed several crews that were being treated. 100% casualties.

Also, how can I get a hard copy of the BAER catalog? The PDF I have is only a half dozen pages long.

Not sure , would've had to get records from several MED Units, I know they were running several shot clinics.

I had 4-20 person crews plus about 50 others in my division that spiked out for 2 weeks, about 12 needed shots, a base camp technue scrub & shower and we did a clothing swap for a 20 person crew.

e7b14a08291f6c2c46756f4c9ef539ed.jpg
Oak Free Zone
df9d427d471460dd1d065988259805ce.jpg
and ridge top laundry services. Original Dawn dish soap is the Best.
Getting all jacked up now, stuffs starting to burn in Central Valley and the Southland was mighty busy this week

I suffered from PO as a child, was immune from my late teens on, to the point of being able to saw it, pile and burn it.
It would most likely eat me alive now.
There are some stands of old growth PO in Southern Humboldt that run 12'+ and cover acres and acres.
Like Yellowjackets, PO is a fact of life in the woods.

Cherry tree that has been leaning over back yard from woods for years snapped the other night in a storm. I know it isn't poison ivy but could this be poison oak? If not, anybody know what it is? Vines go clear to top and are covered in like a bark, have no little hairs growing out like poison ivy. Hopefully pics work. Thanks View attachment 577162 View attachment 577163 View attachment 577164
maybe just plain wood vine. Poison oak is a west coast species according to the literature I think I recall reading!

I suffered from PO as a child, was immune from my late teens on, to the point of being able to saw it, pile and burn it.
It would most likely eat me alive now.
There are some stands of old growth PO in Southern Humboldt that run 12'+ and cover acres and acres.
Like Yellowjackets, PO is a fact of life in the woods.

Had some guys on a fire taking a PISS break off the side of a road on the Trinity river around Burnt Ranch, standing in it and a couple guys actually holding on to the vines for support. They thought it was always "red", out of commission and in misery 3 days later...

I've seen that sign many times, but not once in the past 15 years!

Good times indeed!

That's not poison oak BTW.

Latest posts

Back