Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

is using rescue rope bad for drt?

Discussion in 'Recreational Tree Climbing' started by amhst56, Dec 1, 2015.

1. amhst56

amhst56 ArboristSite Lurker

im new to tree climbing and right now am using some rock climbing gear to climb trees with.

i am slowly getting the arborist gear, but right now i am using my rock climbing harness, safety blue for my split tail and blue water rescue rope.
    https://bluewaterropes.com/product/12-colored-safeline/

i have climbed a dozen times without any issues. the blakes hitch on my split tail on this rope holds great and releases when i want. the only issue is tying in the blue water rope to my caribeaner. its a very stiff rope.

is this ripe ok to keep using? it seems to be holding up great and i believe is stronger than arborist rope.

i think its to stiff for a taughtline hitch, so i used a figure 8 followthrough and it seems to be ok.

and when i tryed using the rope in my act or tubular repel device (i think thats what its called), just getting the rope in the device was a little difficult.

can i still use it or should i run for the hills until i get an arborist rope?

any input would be very helpful!
    thanks!

2. amhst56

i should have said ddrt.

3. Nish

Nish ArboristSite Lurker

If it's in decent condition I wouldn't have any reservations about climbing on this rope. It's plenty strong. For the stiffness, just take extra care dressing, inspecting, and re-checking the knots. Leave plenty of tail. A Munter hitch might also work for the rappel.

4. amhst56

only used rope 5 time since new.

its the knots that worry me, any company do sewn eye splices?
    the end i want sewn has never been used