ISA certified arborist embarrassingly easy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
Reaction score
I recently took and passed my ISA exam without studying. I thought I may even fail the first time. Reading each question that was presented I was amazed at the simplicity. Does anyone else here feel more knowledge than that test covered should be required to become the golden standard of our industry?

I recently took and passed my ISA exam without studying. I thought I may even fail the first time. Reading each question that was presented I was amazed at the simplicity. Does anyone else here feel more knowledge than that test covered should be required to become the golden standard of our industry?

I've hear that it's been dumbed-down quite a bit from when I took it and passed on first try back in 1991. I was the first in my county and my business partner became the second one a few months later. I kept certified for 18 years then gave it up and it didn't affect business one bit. On the other hand it would have been nice to keep it up but I got pissed at the total number of CA's and the dumbing down that was happening. I still think the ISA is a good org but they get zero of my dollars these days.

They have dumbed it down over the years. I'm not currently certified because I don't need to be. Over the years, I've taken the test three times because I could never keep up with the CEUs. The last time I took it, I was drunk off my ass and passed with flying colors. I'm licensed through my state and that is good enough for the work I do now. In bid situations with cities and institutions, ISA is a must have to qualify to bid.

Step in the right direction. Hopefully one day certain tree work will be treated like that done by certified plumbers or electricians.

All depends on what work you or your company will be practicing.

It really is a "minimal" standard....Does the individual have a basic understanding of trees and their proper care? I would be curious to know what the pass/fail rate is. I know people still fail it. There was a prep course that a friend helped teach. A local guy who has been in business for over 30 years (and we all know does poor quality work) failed the test even after taking the course.

Even though it is a minimal standard, I still think it is valuable because it should ensure clients that their arborist is doing some continuing education. There is also the Code of Ethics. My disappointment with ISA isn't how hard or easy the test is, but that they don't push the code of ethics stronger. There was a town in the area that hired a company with a CA to do some young tree structural pruning. They topped all of the trees! It was reported to ISA who said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't be sure the CA did the work (they did have the bid/contract requiring that and an invoice from the company stating it performed as specified). I've heard similar stories as well. They need to enforce that or the standard really will mean nothing.

I was one of three from my company who took the test at the same time I was the only one who passed. We all took the prep coarse, I was the only one who went to all 8? Classes but for the most part was a word for word power point of the study guide, huge waste of money to attend there were a few weeks that had a good instructor that used actual life experience to teach the class these were half way useful.. the prep class and study guide "is not intended to fully prepare you for the test" you are supposed to buy hundreds of dollars of books from who knows where to learn everything... there were questions that I have no clue where I'd even begin to look for the answer. Then there were questions I didn't know but common sense would knock it down to 2 answers then it was a guess from there or in some cases 3 answers were completely off in left field so obviously it was the 4th option.
But the test did keep two tards from being certified.. so in some cases it does serve it's purpose

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It really is a "minimal" standard....Does the individual have a basic understanding of trees and their proper care? I would be curious to know what the pass/fail rate is. I know people still fail it. There was a prep course that a friend helped teach. A local guy who has been in business for over 30 years (and we all know does poor quality work) failed the test even after taking the course.

Even though it is a minimal standard, I still think it is valuable because it should ensure clients that their arborist is doing some continuing education. There is also the Code of Ethics. My disappointment with ISA isn't how hard or easy the test is, but that they don't push the code of ethics stronger. There was a town in the area that hired a company with a CA to do some young tree structural pruning. They topped all of the trees! It was reported to ISA who said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't be sure the CA did the work (they did have the bid/contract requiring that and an invoice from the company stating it performed as specified). I've heard similar stories as well. They need to enforce that or the standard really will mean nothing.
Yes, this. I've seen guys on our city's CA list spike prunes. My goal is now board certified master arborist as there is only one currently in our state

Yes, this. I've seen guys on our city's CA list spike prunes. My goal is now board certified master arborist as there is only one currently in our state
I did BCMA a little over a year ago. I certainly see increased client base with the CA. I don't think that will happen because of BCMA...I actually thought about not doing the BCMA test because technically I can't call myself a CA, and nobody knows what a BCMA is. It was more of a personal accomplishment than anything practical. I will have to actually watch my continuing ed now. I had no problem keeping up with CA requirements, but this may take a little extra effort/attention.

I hear you, I'm one of 10 BCMAs in the Columbus area. Not so widely known or understood by the public so its kind of a "who cares" cert. Very much a pat on my own back for doing lots of reading/research and having experience. If ISA pushed this cert program as "expert" it would be a better thing.

Something of a money grab but not nearly as BS as TRAQ. I didnt pay for the test but CEU requirements are much higher. I figured I get 15 CEUs a year from ISA and Ohio Chapter publishings so the rest can be made up at conferences or online purchased quizes.

i did mine in 2010 it was easy enuff to get a pass but was hard to get high % pass as the last 10 % of questions ramped up on topic knowledge or were worded in way that tricked the reader (me) I still enjoyed the study while much was obvious or a subject i knew i gathered few new ideas on the way and yes its $ gouge but the ISA arb magazine and quizz questions keep me thinking and current in skills and understanding.

Do they still do 20 plants tree id? i heard had been dropped for me was 20 twigs and leaves of local trees placed on table none to hard but i was in another OZ country state than my own so there was slight variation

I wrote mine a month ago and did better than I thought I would. I only read the study guide because I didn't want to buy all the other reference books the isa suggested to get, lots of extra $$ invested on top of exam fees and all.

I read the study guide 5 times to make sure I understood everything good and I'm glad I did. I found 90% of the questions on the exam we're not worded exactly as it was written in the guide so if you couldn't make sense of what they were asking you didn't stand a chance. Also I'd say 10% of the questions were not covered at all in the guide so someone with no experience probably would have to guess those. Although someone with no experience probably shouldn't be allowed to write. Interesting thread.

Back