ISA certified arborist embarrassingly easy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you guys have a study guide you'd be willing to part with?
Become a member of the Certified Arborist Study Group on Facebook. They have the quizlet study guides for all 16 chapters of the book. I would still get the book but you could probably pass just by using those quizlet sets.

Edition shouldnt matter much.

Steps to become CA:
1. Read the book
2. Have a credit card
3. Have a pulse

Mostly the credit card and the pulse...and I'm not so sure about the pulse. I did the CA thing years ago because ISA was spending some money on public awareness of the credential. "Certified Arborist" had become a little buzzword. The real value of it other than that...pretty much zero I suppose. I have hired CA's and also licensed applicators over the years that didn't know the first thing about ANYTHING. Just completely freaking clueless. I have also hired class A CDL holders that didn't know how to drive a standard shift bucket truck.

Mostly the credit card and the pulse...and I'm not so sure about the pulse. I did the CA thing years ago because ISA was spending some money on public awareness of the credential. "Certified Arborist" had become a little buzzword. The real value of it other than that...pretty much zero I suppose. I have hired CA's and also licensed applicators over the years that didn't know the first thing about ANYTHING. Just completely freaking clueless. I have also hired class A CDL holders that didn't know how to drive a standard shift bucket truck.
Pretty much dead on! Im a CA, I'll be honest I don't know nearly enough to go market myself as a CA to anybody. In my job I pretty much do 10 months of 90 percent removals then 2 months of 50/50 trimming/removals. I never have to diagnose, I can give you some sort of guess why your tree is sick but I'll probably be wrong... the isa don't teach it and unless you are taught in the outside world it ain't gonna happen. Don't get me wrong I'm not a complete tard but compared to a lot of the knowledge from people on this site I know nothing....

We just hired a guy class A went to truck driving school "I drove semis for xx long" and the ****er couldn't even find low or first gear in a 6 speed. He didn't even know how to hook a trailer up to a truck like dude close the pintle pin it, I'll give him the pin, put the safety chains on, and plug in the lights. Like really dude, I'll assume the semi was an auto?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I am taking the exam on November 4th and have been working through the study manual. I'm coming from a 4 year forestry degree background and I'm kinda finding alot of the information to be fairly easy. How difficult is the exam comparatively to the questions within the study guide?

I've also had alot of people tell me that its not difficult and pretty damn basic.

Maybe thinking about pushing the exam forward in time.

Thanks in advance!

I am taking the exam on November 4th and have been working through the study manual. I'm coming from a 4 year forestry degree background and I'm kinda finding alot of the information to be fairly easy. How difficult is the exam comparatively to the questions within the study guide?

I've also had alot of people tell me that its not difficult and pretty damn basic.

Maybe thinking about pushing the exam forward in time.

Thanks in advance!

Given your background it will be easy nuff however if any knowledge areas within study guide challenge you best focus on them as pass mark is..( huh I forgot).. think it's 70% so be shame to need a do over plus ISA fee costs$$

From my memory the study guide and exam questions mostly lined up but typically ISA will mix up some the question syntax format to test you..

Given your background it will be easy nuff however if any knowledge areas within study guide challenge you best focus on them as pass mark is..( huh I forgot).. think it's 70% so be shame to need a do over plus ISA fee costs$$

From my memory the study guide and exam questions mostly lined up but typically ISA will mix up some the question syntax format to test you..
It's currently a 76 to pass.

You should be fine...especially since it is one score to pass it. When I took it, you had to pass the whole thing AND pass each domain separately. I think I had a high 80 or low 90 percent for the overall score, but didn't pass the tree support system section. Had to pay a small re-take fee and drive an hour and a half to take a 5 or 6 question test for the tree support section only.

It is a "basic knowledge" test, not a comprehensive advanced examination of all things arboriculture.

Back