It got a little hot.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In defense of the guilty party, I will say that it can be very easy to mistake a tripped chain brake with a chip-loaded stuck chain. I have, on more than one occasion, had my brake trip and thought I needed to roll the chain on the top of the log to clear debris from the bar groove. When this happens, the rolling action is often accompanied with pulling the trigger as I try to get the chain to move and spin free. But I will admit that it usually only takes about 2 or 3 attempts with no success to make me grab that brake handle and give it a tug. Just wish I could convince folks that you cannot start a saw and let it warm up for 2 minutes with the trigger set and the brake on. Seems to happen on MS180s more often than any other saw I have seen.

I never start a saw with the chain brake on. Yeah, I know what the books say, and probably some people need to have the chain brake on for their own safety.

I started off in 1984 with a Sachs Dolmar 112. Went through too many to list, and ended up with a 372XPW 75cc ported. Never started a single one with the chain brake on.

As a side story, I was at the Husqvarna shop to order some parts last week and a customer held up his 455 to me and said"Do you think you could run a saw like this"? I reached for the saw and he said "You better use two hands" I just got the saw with one hand, and said " Son I run a 372XP like those on the rack over there. But you do have a nice saw.
I guess maybe he needs to start his saw with the chain brake on.

Latest posts

Back