Its Heeeere. A Game Of Logging Class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coming clean

A t-shirt. A long sleeved t-shirt. If you win daily competitions, you could take home a non-PNW style helmet, chaps, files, whatever.

Its called game of logging because their strategy is to use a competitive based approach to encourage skill development and application. One may score stumps, release of spring poles, etc., and use this score to compete against themselves or others.

I have done all the game of logging, levels 1-4, I've never participated in any competition portion outside of the original portion. I did it as a part of an independent study on adult education and logger safety training programs. The competitive based approach is in fact a rather effective approach to advocate learning-- lets say its better than enterring your state logger SFI training lesson and every time the instructor starts by saying "I know you're just here so you can sell pulpwood, we'll try and get you out of here as fast as possible."

I was first a tree guy. I worked for a fellow who trained me in the basics of climbing, felling, and stuff. His greatest attribute was the plant care and proper pruning elements but he lacked some on the physical skills- limited climbing technique, felling, and the like. Good enough to remain safe and in work, but not great. By and by I started cutting for a GOL trained logger. He first taught me all the GOL stuff (in about 30 minutes), then said go on and get started and I cut for his skidder for a while, about a year and a half.

Any faller I bring on to cut with me I will see to it that they know these same skills, whether they are attributed to GOL or not- I know every faller has to know these things, left or right coast, and they are not GOL exclusive. But, you've got to see that a fellow has a foundation before you risk having to pack his smashed ass out of there! I also see to it that the prospective faller can produce, I don't want to cut with a mediocre faller.

The GOL stuff is good basics and helps keep a new guy safe. I was stoked about what it enabled me to do with wedges in terms of falling trees against the lean, etc. And you can essentially use the same technique for most any tree as long as you understand the physics of lean, crown weight, and so forth. And it is reassuring that the tree is not moving at all until all the cutting is done.

BUT BUT BUT BUT, I have had my career progress.. I 've now cut with many people from many parts of the country for many years. I've learned and adopted many skills from here, from study, and from experimenting. My capability now is FAR beyond what it was as a GOL limited faller. I fully understand why its so anoying to so many, it annoys me too, its a red flag that the person in question is, in short, a novice, as I was. But, its not a bad deal to get someone started safely.

I will say there is still plenty of timber I have to bore cut, though I do as little as possible, rarely do I want to fall a tree right with the lean, I'm always swinging them one way or another. My dutchman has developed tremendously lately, occasionally I won't get one to come all the way around and it ends up sitting back but all in all its been a tremendous development for me.

So you can expect a t-shirt. A long sleeved t-shirt. I hope you will tie the sleeves to a bamboo pole and fly it at the PNW GTG. I would not expect anything less than a ceremonial celebratory burn of this flag at some belated witching hour. I'd join in laughter, hell, I'd stoke the fire!

There, I'm clean.

I have no idea why the little angry guy is at the top of my post! I did not put it there. Funny little fellow, so angry.:msp_smile:

A t shirt, but no hat? :msp_mellow:

Just apply all that charm, tact, and conflict resolution technique you leaned working for the Circus. Once they find out that there's an actual experienced saw person amongst them they'll probably fall over themselves giving you hats and stuff.

Wear your MacT. And your 'spenders. And your calks. Stagged pants are a must as is a grease fronted hickory shirt with the sleeves ripped off. Don't forget your shoulder pad. Glare a lot...you know, that salty old logger stare. I know you don't chew snoose but black licorice spit looks a lot like the real thing...especially when it lands on somebody's brand-new-for-the-occasion genuine timberbeast boots.

I don't know how everybody else feels about it but I'd like to be there...just to watch the fun. Anybody else want to go? Not to participate...just to watch.

Hmmmph. Note that NO former participant has divulged the answer to the hat question. They've all skirted around the question. Is it a secret? I'm not sure if I can wait till September to find out the answer.

I'll ask for clothing approval prior to the course. I do have a semi-greasy belly hickory shirt. Will it make me look fat? :laugh:

I have 3 official USFS safety whistles. I can fasten them on too.

Will they teach me to cut straight? Maybe the secret hat has that power? We'll have to wait.

now you have more room in that closet.

or less overflowing?

I found some Uncle Carlo RESERVE. Cracked me up so bad I bought it, for a dollar more than the other jugs. Laughed all the way to the cash register. Its not jug wine, its RESERVE jug wine.

Hell I thought I was pretty clear, no hat, t-shirt
I'll be slammin tomorrow too.

Last edited:
or less overflowing?

I found some Uncle Carlo RESERVE. Cracked me up so bad I bought it, for a dollar more than the other jugs. Laughed all the way to the cash register. Its not jug wine, its RESERVE jug wine.

Hell I thought I was pretty clear, no hat, t-shirt
I'll be slammin tomorrow too.

Get some money shots on here before it gets muggy out, and everything is blurry.

Get some money shots on here before it gets muggy out, and everything is blurry.

I'll try but no cutting partner now so they'll be pause and shoot style.

SlowP I think you need to go the other direction with your attire- Euro and "safety" to the T-- yes, 3 faller's whistles, goggles, glasses, bugs, and a face screen, cutting pants and chaps, kevlar boots, maybe get some of those speed chopping shin gaurds, end up like the kid on that Christmas movie, so safe you can't see, move, or work. And a 14" bar.

Randy, I won't forget it. I'll be meeting you there someday. Got too much bidness to take care of at present.

Hammer! Can't wait to see some pics!

The woods seems a long ways off for me at this point unless I pick something up soon. Lowering firewood chunks and dragging branches to the chipper pays well. It just don't feel well. Still making chips but its damn near an office job compared to beatin the brush. You just can't cuss, spit, and piss when you want to!

I'll try but no cutting partner now so they'll be pause and shoot style.

SlowP I think you need to go the other direction with your attire- Euro and "safety" to the T-- yes, 3 faller's whistles, goggles, glasses, bugs, and a face screen, cutting pants and chaps, kevlar boots, maybe get some of those speed chopping shin gaurds, end up like the kid on that Christmas movie, so safe you can't see, move, or work. And a 14" bar.

Hmmmm. So I should wear my bright orange Vikings--they are actually heavy kevlared, steel toed, orange so you can see your feet before cutting your toes off, boots? Should I also take my "limbing" saw--the 032 with a half wrap handle and 20 inch bar? That's as short as I have. I could probably borrow a Euro style "helmet". My friend, the grandma has one.

My chaps are green. Maybe I should put some reflective tape on them? ;)

Back