Its time for a super split (gas or electric)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absrio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the almost silent operation of a electric motor super split. and it will be cheaper to run an electric motor than put fuel into a splitter. plus no oil changes. I have a couple acres I usually split on. but I split in many different areas. I talked to supersplit. and they recommended going with the 220 model and running a cord 50 max. most times I'll need to run either a longer cord (150 ft) or a 110v 2000watt honda generator. they said I can easily rewire the generator to run off of 220 or 110. what do you guys think? any good/bad stories about electric supersplits? has anyone noticed a difference after switching from 110-220 on a supersplit? or would you recommend the gas version?

I appreciate your input, but I have to ask; please don't the kinetic vs hydraulic arguement.

thanks

I really like the idea of the almost silent operation of a electric motor super split. and it will be cheaper to run an electric motor than put fuel into a splitter. plus no oil changes. I have a couple acres I usually split on. but I split in many different areas. I talked to supersplit. and they recommended going with the 220 model and running a cord 50 max. most times I'll need to run either a longer cord (150 ft) or a 110v 2000watt honda generator. they said I can easily rewire the generator to run off of 220 or 110. what do you guys think? any good/bad stories about electric supersplits? has anyone noticed a difference after switching from 110-220 on a supersplit? or would you recommend the gas version?

I appreciate your input, but I have to ask; please don't the kinetic vs hydraulic arguement.

thanks
a 12 pack of cold busch beer cans and an 8# maul work great for me ....but then again i'm a little f***** up...good luck in whatever you decide on ...lol

I run an electric SS. My finished wood is kept behind the barn, easily reached by a 10 ga. cord. I enjoy splitting without the roaring drown of a gas engine. When it gets cold or wet I can split inside the barn from a trailer of rounds into a trailer of split. Pretty nice when the game is on. I'd say it's a matter of figuring out your own logistics. Worse case, get a gas engine if you want to split remotely. Not a huge investment and 10 minutes to swap.

I guess it depends on how you view splitting..it's just work to me so I get it done as fast as possible.

It's not a hobby or pastime I enjoy so I get all year's wood busted up in 3-4 days and the splitter goes back under the tarp or loaned out to one of my buddies.

Buying an electric splitter with a high probability of needing to use a generator to operate it seems silly to me. Gas engine seems like a good route unless you just want to put some run hours on the generator. It will be less efficient than just getting it with a gas motor though.

I use both. I hooked them both up to separate flywheels at the exact same distance, so I only need to move the belt. Most of the time I use electric, so I installed a 220 outlet (or 210, or 215 - whatever you want to call it, but let's not start another argument over it!!!) at both my shop and my home wood piles. I can take it out to the woods and split there if I like. The thing just sips fuel - doesn't need a whole lot.

But I certainly would advise to use 220 over 110. It'll still work with 110, but you'll be popping breakers a lot.

220v vastly superior to 110v. Lots of popped breakers on 110v even with heavy duty cord and 20amp breaker. No popped breakers on 220v except for the thermal overload on the motor itself when I've had lots of stalls on nasty elm. Also on 220v I run a cheap 50ft extension cord with no issues.

When wired for 110v I tried to run it off my 3500w champion generator, didn't work so well. Might be different on 220v with the generator but I never tried it. I do all my splitting in the pole barn so the electric works good for me. From this site I've been lead to believe the gas version is a bit better for splitting nasty stuff but I don't have personal experience with the gas engine version.

You won't be running it off a 2000 watt Honda generator, that's for sure...they just aren't big enough.

SR

My SS should be here next week and I can't wait to try it out. I went with the Honda engine so that the splitter will able to be towed to the wood source one day when my supply from the house build dries up. My thoughts were along the lines of cutting and splitting onsite, then go home and unload it once at the woodpile versus cutting, loading, unloading to split, split, reload to haul to my woodpile, and then unload there. I've been trying to figure out how to handle the wood the least amount of times and being able to haul my splitter to the wood will be a benefit.

I considered a electric motor because it would be nice to not listen to a gas engine run but that would only work for me if all the wood came off my property and the splitter never needed to be moved.

This is just my line of thinking. Hope it helps with your decision either way.

I wanted electric at first and will eventually add one, but the gas motor is just too convenient.
And that little Subaru motor is bullet prof!

I wouldn't consider an elec. powered splitter.I often split miles from an E outlet.

Anyone know how well the 220 motors works in tough wood. I only split at my house so I don't have to worry about being mobile. I saw a video of a guy with a SS and a electric motor. He said some pieces of wood got in the motor and it blew up. So I wouldn't want electric if it was that fragile. I aslo was wondering if anyone knew if the Special Edition is actually better then the HD model. I think on the Special Edition each fly wheel is 10 pounds heavier. Will that really make a difference?

What is the amperage draw of the motor?

The little Honda Gen set only outputs about 17 amps at 120v. (probably has 15 amp breaker?). Thay maybe would run a 2.5hp motor if the startup draw isn't too high.

At 240v, if it's possible, the gen set would make about 8 amps.

Gas model is what, 5hp? If so would need about 3hp electric motor for same performance, which would be 9 amps at 240 or 18 at 120v.

120v or 240v isn't going to make a difference aside from being able to use a smaller extension cord.

If the gen set could run that, all depends if 2000 watt is surge or continous. If continous, it probably would, though it'd be working hard.

In the REAL world, it takes an HONEST 10 amps to make one REAL hp at 120volts... Yes motor mfg's lie about what a "hp" is, but I'm talking about a real hp..

SO, that's 30 amps at 120V or 15 amps on two legs for 240V...

The Honda 2000 is 120V only, and as I said above, not even remotely close to running a 2hp motor let alone a 3hp!!

SR

it is the starting current of the electric motor that killed my 3500w continous/4000w peak champion. once the motor was up and spinning it would run it but from a dead stop not so much. I suspect it would have worked better at 220V but 110v from the generator was a no go.

Back