I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultra04, I consider you a friend. In the beginning it was you that was so gracious to provide me with many IPLs. Perhaps I should hold you accountable for this crazy disease I have:laugh:

I will be the first to admit that you're taking a risk when you buy anything on eBay. It's just the nature of buying and paying for things sight unseen. In the case of this MS660, the biggest mistake I made was buying from a brand new eBayer with 0 feedback. But then again, that's part of the gamble. I know others may shy away from an item like that and not drive the price as high. He seems like a super nice guy. We are in the process now of rectifying the situation. I can guarantee you that he will be much more careful the next time he describes an item for sale. He's worried about his feedback and reputation and doesn't want to get started on the wrong foot. I told him that there will be no negative feedback with the way he's handling the situation right now.

Someone here pointed out that the engine shroud was broken. I pointed that out to the seller and asked if anything else was broken or cracked. His reply was "no there should not be any other broken parts just those 2 places, I never never even noticed the engine shroud broke, let me Know if you see anything else, cylinder is OK THANKS". I sent perhaps 3 or 4 messages and always got a reply. These are some of the things I do to help me guage the reliablilty of a seller, especially if their feedback is low. Another thing you want to do is always pay with PayPal using a credit card. If you do get a bad item like I just did, document it with pictures and try to resolve it with the seller. Be cordial as long as you can. If that doesn't work, file a claim with PayPal. DO NOT make any repairs to the saw. PayPal will likely require you to return the saw to the seller if you hope to get your money back. This MS660 is all back together and in the box ready to be returned.

Last edited:
Buying any saws on Ebay is a risk, and why I only buy PARTS for saws on Ebay now. Been burned too many times, and seen too many others burned on Ebay buying saws. Just the other day another insto-Husky and Stihl saw shop was closed on Ebay. Zero feedback seller. Some guy selling (supposedly) in Budapest. No longer... Ebay shut him down. After he sold 8 saws. I wonder how many of those 8 got burned? :monkey:

A saw in hand is worth 10 on Ebay.

Paypal gets paid by the SELLER and works for the SELLER. Why do you think Paypal will do anything they can to keep you from using a credit card to fund a payment? Because charge backs from credit cards keep both the seller and PAYPAL from getting paid.

I have gotten 2 refunds fron Paypal with 2 disputes I filed, as the BUYER. One was a crap saw, and the other was a non-received item. I also 'won' another bad saw that Paypal sided with me on (the 210 Saw from Hell, that led to several long and emotional threads on AS that were later pulled), but I had already fixed it and the seller was hostile. So I kept it AS A REMINDER NEVER, EVER TO BUY A WORKING SAW ON EBAY AGAIN. So far, it has worked!

The Paypal dispute process is slow and a PITB. However, they can and will side with the buyer. Even if the item is listed on Ebay as ABSOLUTELY NO RETURNS, if they accept Paypal for payment, they have to accept returns of items that are not as described. I use a CC on Paypal now for all purchases. Paypal is fairly suspect as a "bank" anyway. The skim is high for money transfers into my PP account too. They certainly do not want to wind up with the bill for a product either. They are owned by Ebay now though. They used to be better when they were on their own. I would rather avoid them, but 99% of my sales on Ebay are paid with Paypal these days. So its parts saws and saw parts for me only on Ebay. Dunno why saws are so bad there, I have never been burned on anything else on Ebay.

Last edited:
Ultra04, I consider you a friend. In the beginning it was you that was so gracious to provide me with many IPLs. Perhaps I should hold you accountable for this crazy disease I have:laugh:

Now it's all you're fault!!! HA, at last the truth comes out, and the truth shall set you free!!!!!!

I sell a lot on E-bay, and prefer parting them out, or selling as "parts
only", as a good running saw, is very subjective. I sold a little
McCollugh a few weeks ago, that started and ran pretty good, but was
one of those factory reconditioned jobs. So in the add, I only stated
that the saw would start with a squirt of gas in the carb then die. And it
was for parts only, and as is. Before boxing it up to ship, I started and
ran it out of fuel. It idled for 10 minutes. I did not want to risk selling it as a good running saw,
and have problems, but that is me.

link

Your eBay link no longer works can you PM me the seller user ID I don't want to buy anything from that A$$H@<E by mistake.... Thanks:angry:

Your eBay link no longer works can you PM me the seller user ID I don't want to buy anything from that A$$H@<E by mistake.... Thanks:angry:

+1 same here, I dont wanna have to drive to where he is to "settle" a dispute. But Im sick enough of getting screwed that I just may do it.

ya know, I buy and sell on ebay. I have good feedback and am as honest as I can be when listing stuff.

With that said, there are many people that aren't as honest, or just don't know what they are selling. They will watch other items going for big dollars and think "hey I got one of them out in the garage".

I buy stuff on ebay, but to buy a project saw for a lot of money to fix up and then ultimately sell off for a profit isn't gonna happen. The price of stuff seems way to high to make a profit.

now, when you are buying a parts saw on ebay, that seems to be the end all title for listing crap saws. You gotta take a look at stuff super close and bid accordingly and expect the worst. I mean you could get a deal on a parts saw every now and then, but over 3 bills for one??? c'mon.

ya know, I buy and sell on ebay. I have good feedback and am as honest as I can be when listing stuff.

With that said, there are many people that aren't as honest, or just don't know what they are selling. They will watch other items going for big dollars and think "hey I got one of them out in the garage".

I buy stuff on ebay, but to buy a project saw for a lot of money to fix up and then ultimately sell off for a profit isn't gonna happen. The price of stuff seems way to high to make a profit.

now, when you are buying a parts saw on ebay, that seems to be the end all title for listing crap saws. You gotta take a look at stuff super close and bid accordingly and expect the worst. I mean you could get a deal on a parts saw every now and then, but over 3 bills for one??? c'mon.

+10

Well, I have not really seen much difference in saws I have bought on Ebay, either listed as BUSTED PARTS SAW or GREAT FANTASTIC SAW. Both are typically beaters with serious problems. Chainsaws are generally abused pretty bad by most people. So I stick to buying parts saws there... and not for 3 bills. No way... got a trashed 025 for $30. Parts to me were worth over $100. But those are hard to find and pretty rare. The guy listed it by the part number, and not the model number, and it was poorly described.

Latest posts

Back