I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
This one is likely to end badly... Unless you can prove he mispresented the saw, you're likely to eat this one... His description gives him every out.

Definitely go though dispute resolution, but.. You will at least get his phone number etc and call him. Ask for the dealer name... They'll remember him...

I'd bet a dollar that PayPal will make this right. It's a lopsided system, IMO - They collect their fees from the seller, but PayPal virtually always rules in favor of the buyer when there is a dispute. In this case the buyer deserves a refund, but I've seen cases where the buyer had no legitamate claim and still got a full refund, including shipping. Most of the time they don't even require the buyer to return the item to the seller.

The phrases 'as-is, where is', 'no warranty/no return', 'all sales are final', etc mean NOTHING unless an item is listed as being sold for parts only.

Good luck!

blsnelling said:
With shipping, I'm out $284. Assuming I'm stuck, should I part it out, or find a good crank and put a BB kit on it for $99 from Baileys?

Well, for $120 more you could have had this 440

Give it back to the guy for a refund less shipping, or part it. Not worth fixing if you ask me!

I'd ask what Stihl shop he took it to. I bet he won't give you the name of the shop because he didn't take it to anybody. If you do get a name ask them what's the deal with the saw and why didn't the seller let them fix it if all it needed was a coil and rope. I bet the coil is good. How would they check for spark without a working recoil on the saw? If they did turn the saw over to check for spark why didn't they notice the lack of compression and bearing noise and pull the muffler? The seller knew the "bad coil" reason for not running would bring the highest price because it's the easiest fix. The new air filter implies the saw has been taken care of and is probably in good shape which again helps bring a higher price. I think the seller is very slick and knew exactly how to get top $ for a junk saw. He also knew how to protect himself with the "no warranty" and "as is" caveats. Unless you can show that he lied about taking the saw to the shop or about what the shop told him re. the condition of the saw, you may be out of luck as far as help from Ebay. Good luck and keep us posted.

Muffler

blsnelling said:
My better judgement is telling me that I don't have a saw to repair here. I mean, no crank, no cylinder, and no piston. This is truely a parts saw if there ever was one. Lets see what I have here.
1. Top engine cover
2. Filter cover - newer
3. Bar/clutch cover
4. Carb
5. New HD air filter
6. New rim sproket
7. Clutch
8. Oil pump
9. Good tank
10. Starter has too much wear to sell
11. Top handle
12. Muffler

I don't think this will even come close to recouping my money. Which leads me back to getting a new case/crank for $100 and a BB kit for $100. I'd then have about $550 in it with the coil and new 24" ES bar I already bought for it. I'd enjoy the process and likely get good money for it when I was done.

I'll give ya $10 for the muffler. That a good start to recouping??? :yoyo:

I think there's a very good chance that PayPal will make it right. They are definately there for the buyer, not the seller. I've seen them work more than once. The seller is now getting emails from users on the forums I post to. I'm not sure that's helping my situation, but it sure is making for an interesting deal.

Normally, I am a vigilanty justice freak kind of guy. For some reason I've yet to get really mad about this. I'm simply dealing with it at face value. One side of me even wants to laugh. Have you ever seen a saw so totally destroyed? Look at that piston. Can you say scoring? Roller bearings from the big end of the rod embedded into the cylinder head and piston. I mean, come on. This thing must be a collectors item of some sort:ices_rofl:

Obviously advertising laws in the USA are non existant.

He wrote all that BS about no warranty etc coz he knew the saw was stuffed.

Mate, I got a corroded 44 in the shed, engine seem to OK just the chasis got eaten by palms, if your interested I can strip off some crap and send it over ... you pay the freight, I'm sure you'll build a working saw out of it. I dont want anything for the saw just you fix up the freight. I go thru a 44 a year but the palms eat away the alloy ... but the piston, pot, crank etc will all be fine.

Might take 2 weeks to get there that's all.

Let me know.

Needle bearing rollers are HARD

Believe it or not all of that damage is from one needle roller bouncing around the cylinder after the big end bearing cage let go.....

Someone knew this had happened because the saw was run without an air cleaner hence the new air cleaner. The guy scammed you pure and simple

Four Paws said:
Well, for $120 more you could have had this 440

Not sure how much of a 440 that is... looks like at least the flywheel side half of the case is 044, judging by the threaded bar oil cap. It does have the newer plastic and tank on it though.

Oh yeah, and Edit to add: You did get hosed on that deal. I'm sure he knew what was up. Having the pull cord being busted is a great way to keep the potential local buyers from yarding on it and finding out the truth...

Last edited:
Ekka said:
Obviously advertising laws in the USA are non existant.

He wrote all that BS about no warranty etc coz he knew the saw was stuffed.

Mate, I got a corroded 44 in the shed, engine seem to OK just the chasis got eaten by palms, if your interested I can strip off some crap and send it over ... you pay the freight, I'm sure you'll build a working saw out of it. I dont want anything for the saw just you fix up the freight. I go thru a 44 a year but the palms eat away the alloy ... but the piston, pot, crank etc will all be fine.

Might take 2 weeks to get there that's all.

Let me know.
Now you guys are really trying to real me into the saw thing. How can you not hang out with guys of this caliber? I really appreciate all the feedback I'm getting here. That's probably why I'm not going crazy mad at this point.

I'm definately interested in taking you up on your offer, Ekka. That's truely respectable of you. Your saw sounds like the perfect candidate. Bad case with good internals. I'm definately up to doing the work. That's why I even bought this saw. I enjoy it. Let me see what happens with the PayPal dispute and I'll get back to you. So far we have both replied several times to the dispute and he's not backing up at all yet.

I'll go down and have a sticky beak what I got and maybe post a pic.

I have a few in the grave yard box. I just gave away a deceased Echo 350T coz some-one needed the chain break handle/cover (they fall of and you lose them).

Four Paws said:
26 of us just waiting for someone to respond...
27 but who's counting? :greenchainsaw:

That's a great offer from the kind Ekka but don't let the slug slide on this deal. He knew previously what was up with the saw.

He's said he's used it "quite a bit" for personal firewood cutting. I think you could get him on that. If he was using that saw "quite a bit", either he knew what happened or his shop told him it would cost more to fix than it's worth. Looks like somebody threw a few parts at it to get it together before they peddled it.

Someone else mentioned asking about the Stihl dealer that looked at it and I think that's a good idea too.
Put the screws to him. :greenchainsaw:

One more idea. The saw looks like it's more than 2 years old. Use the serial number to find out when it was made and if possible when it was sold. If it's more than 2 years old then the saw is "NOT as described" case closed. Ebay/Paypal will have to refund your $. My experience with Ebay is that the burden of proof is on the buyer not the seller. They are not going to refund your $ without a fight. I charge all Ebay purchases through paypal to a credit card. If you're not satisfied, you ship it back. Then mail proof the seller has received his product back along with the dispute paperwork to your credit card co. and they will do a charge back and get your $ back. Ebay/paypal hates chargebacks and will do everything they can to get you to not use your credit card to fund purchases. Ebay/paypal are paid by and work for the seller, your credit card co. works for you and is your only real protection from fraud. If you funded this purchase through your bank acct. you are probably screwed unless you can show some really good proof that the seller misrepresented the item.

Back