Ive worked on some much stuff at my new Job....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer I bought the MS260 from is a rental business that is both a Stihl and Echo dealer.

He has nothing but good things to say about echo and ALL of his rental saws are Echos.

Wow, you guys sure are......passionate..... about this Echo vs. ???? stuff. I can't say very much about their saws because, like I said, we sold very few. I do know that the ones we did sell were mostly a small trimming saw, I don't remember the model #. The guys who bought them were from several different commercial tree trimming companies. They said they wouldn't have anything else for the power vs. weight ratio.

The dealer I bought the MS260 from is a rental business that is both a Stihl and Echo dealer.

He has nothing but good things to say about echo and ALL of his rental saws are Echos.

We were once a Stihl and Echo dealer (7 years ago). We dropped Echo when they started to flood every hardware store with product, wouldnt guarantee parts for more then 7 years, and we got the warranty work. In retrospect, it was very good move (business wise..).

Wow, you guys sure are......passionate..... about this Echo vs. ???? stuff. I can't say very much about their saws because, like I said, we sold very few. I do know that the ones we did sell were mostly a small trimming saw, I don't remember the model #. The guys who bought them were from several different commercial tree trimming companies. They said they wouldn't have anything else for the power vs. weight ratio.

I didn't think much about Echo's either untill I got that CS510 off Ebay brand new for $210 After running it I was hooked, now have six of them. The only one I don't like is the CS8000. My Husky's and Stihl sit in the shelf quite a bit and the Echo's come to the woods. I guess I llike the way they handle and the torque. Nothing wrong with the O44's or the 385. The MS170 wouldn't even make a good anchor. The Rancher 55 is OK for a 53 cc saw but the CS510 49cc smokes it and wieghts 1-1/2# less

those days

You had one of those good days. Everything goes well, all repairs follow the book, take little time.
But, you will have one of those days when nothing goes right, the repair you made by the book doesn't work. and there will be nowhere to stop on repairing a saw.

And yes, the gas smell will chase every body out of the shop, the carb is corroded beyond repair, and when you walk in the house, you "smell like a rotten old chainsaw".

Yep, there will be both kinds of those days, and I hope the good ones far outnumber the bad.

Oh, believe me, this is not brand specific, by no means.:chainsaw:

You had one of those good days. Everything goes well, all repairs follow the book, take little time.
But, you will have one of those days when nothing goes right, the repair you made by the book doesn't work. and there will be nowhere to stop on repairing a saw.

And yes, the gas smell will chase every body out of the shop, the carb is corroded beyond repair, and when you walk in the house, you "smell like a rotten old chainsaw".

Yep, there will be both kinds of those days, and I hope the good ones far outnumber the bad.

Oh, believe me, this is not brand specific, by no means.:chainsaw:

+1

I didn't think much about Echo's either untill I got that CS510 off Ebay brand new for $210 After running it I was hooked, now have six of them. The only one I don't like is the CS8000. My Husky's and Stihl sit in the shelf quite a bit and the Echo's come to the woods. I guess I llike the way they handle and the torque. Nothing wrong with the O44's or the 385. The MS170 wouldn't even make a good anchor. The Rancher 55 is OK for a 53 cc saw but the CS510 49cc smokes it and wieghts 1-1/2# less

The CS-8000, did you get it from HD/LOWES or from a Dealer?

Echo released the 8000 and CS-670 to box stores some time ago, problem was that the carbs were NOT tuned on on these saws from the factory, like ALL other Echo equipment IS.

This limited number of 670's and 8000's generally disappointed or burnt up in short order.

You might consider taking it to a dealer, and having them tune in the carb. I can assure you that the CS-8000 will pull a 36" bar with little effort, as I was fortunate enough to work on one today. It takes a long time to sharpen 36" worth of saw chain...:dizzy:

Also worked on a couple Gokarts today, a Gray Market Diesel, and some other things...pretty slow day, but working on the diesel made bank for me!:clap:

Bring over your stock 50cc Husky or Stihl And we'll run them againt my CS510 that's been running forever. Bring some money Steve

Steve, got you, you'll be needing that money for a new piston and rings afterwards right?

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel! I'm not saying one way or the other if Echo is on par with Stihl or Husky, but i do know that your statement contains very little truth.

More truth than untruth, but OK OK, the milkshake machine comparison was a bit unfair on the saw, an egg-beater would probably be a closer match;)

Just a mess on the web-site...

Troll If you want to see Echo HP numbers look on a Aus website. They're a little overinflated. ....

I found it, and yes, they look inflated on the main page for each model. Looking further into it (the pdf brochures) makes the ratings a real mess.

The 6702 is rated at 4.25kW one place, and 4.5hp another place - that does of course not add up at all.
That last number fits what I remember from that UK site (believe it was the older 6700, or 6701), which said 4.4hp/3.23kW........:dizzy: :dizzy:

Last edited:
Time to settle this...

Ok chainsaw fans, here we go. An un biased educated opinion.

1. In NZ and AUS, echo offer a 5 year warranty. This is not a factory warranty, but offered as 2 + 3. The importer / distributor wears the 3 year balance as a tactic to increase unit sales. The factory warranty on echo for consumer use is 2 years, same as stihl and husky. As the distributors for stihl / husky are factory owned, they have a universal sales plan. indepentant importers such as the ones in NZ and AUS can do as they please to try and get you to buy the product... the factory has nothing to do with the extra 3 years.

2. Kioritz (Echo) are a japanese based manufacturer who put millions of dollars into refinement (note - not R&D!!!). The warranty cost on echo products for importers / distributors are relatively low because the japanese dont try new things, they copy other ideas and refine them to a point of near perfection (but always many many years later due to copywright laws).

3. It is because of point 2, that you can pick up a 346 xp (49cc) husky, and absolutly blitz a CS6702 (67cc) echo. While the durability of the jap stuff can go the distance because they continuosly improve on 1 idea, the latest, coolest, and more powerfull gear will continue to come from Europe.

4. At the end of the day, a pro user will go wear out a stihl, husky, or echo in the same amount of time. The problem is, stihl and husky have the cool advanced stuff and a pro with an echo will take twice as long on the job as a pro with the europe gear. An the echo man will also spend twice as much on fuel...

There, I have said it. Crucify me if you will, but thats that. :givebeer:

Last edited:
I found it, and yes, they look inflated on the main page for each model. Looking further into it (the pdf brochures) makes the ratings a real mess.

The 6702 is rated at 4.25kW one place, and 4.5hp another place - that does of course not add up at all.
That last number fits what I remember from that UK site (believe it was the older 6700, or 6701), which said 4.4hp/3.23kW........:dizzy: :dizzy:

Troll In real life I have a Cs6700 66.7 cc and a Stihl 044 70.7 cc rated at 5.4 hp according to Stihl. In timed cuts the Stihl will take 15 seconds and the Echo 16 secs and wieghts 1# less full of fuel and oil. So if it's only 4.4 HP they're strong horses. My little 49.6 cc Cs510 smokes a 3.3 HP Rancher 55 by a lot 10 seconds to 14 seconds. Must have big HP too. That Cs510 also smokes my 57 cc Cub Cadet (Efco) Steve

Troll In real life I have a Cs6700 66.7 cc and a Stihl 044 70.7 cc rated at 5.4 hp according to Stihl. In timed cuts the Stihl will take 15 seconds and the Echo 16 secs and wieghts 1# less full of fuel and oil. So if it's only 4.4 HP they're strong horses. My little 49.6 cc Cs510 smokes a 3.3 HP Rancher 55 by a lot 10 seconds to 14 seconds. Must have big HP too. That Cs510 also smokes my 57 cc Cub Cadet (Efco) Steve

Go back to post #13, last para......:greenchainsaw:

..but I sure would take a 670x over a MS 390, if that is a comfort....

Last edited:
Heres how to get the most from your Echo, Steve.

1. Get 5m of normal everyday security chain, not chiansaw chain.
2. Get 30m of rope.
3. Attach previously mentioned chain to one end of the rope with some sort of knot.
4. Weld the other end of the chain to the bar of your Echo
5. Tie the other end of the rope to your boat.

You now have a useful anchor. Now go buy a husky (these are actually designed to cut wood)

mwahhh hahahaha :greenchainsaw:

Go back to post #13, last para......:greenchainsaw:

..but I sure would take a 670x over a MS 390, if that is a comfort....

All of my Echo's are tuned a little on the rich side, more grunt. Iv'e never had any problem in the last 10 years with a Echo or any other brand. A couple I bought off Ebay were junk when I bought them but with a little fixing run good. Got a Cs5500 off Ebay that could barely get out of it's own way that smokes now. Too bad it wieghts 1# too much for 55cc, same as my 6700. Steve

Heres how to get the most from your Echo, Steve.

1. Get 5m of normal everyday security chain, not chiansaw chain.
2. Get 30m of rope.
3. Attach previously mentioned chain to one end of the rope with some sort of knot.
4. Weld the other end of the chain to the bar of your Echo
5. Tie the other end of the rope to your boat.

You now have a useful anchor. Now go buy a husky (these are actually designed to cut wood)

mwahhh hahahaha :greenchainsaw
I olny own 3 boat anchors MS170 Husky Rancher 55 and Cub Cadet (efco) 57cc. Looks like you have 2. My Solo 690 smokes my Husky 385xp in timed cuts but it's 5 cc more so I suppose it should. Steve

To the fella who said earlier that ECHO is planning to move to a 4stroke model in the next year, I told my Boss exactly what you said today, he talked to a buddy at the R&D dept that he met at the Louisville Expo last year, and he said that is total, 100% bull:censored:

Ok chainsaw fans, here we go. An un biased educated opinion.

1. In NZ and AUS, echo offer a 5 year warranty. This is not a factory warranty, but offered as 2 + 3. The importer / distributor wears the 3 year balance as a tactic to increase unit sales. The factory warranty on echo for consumer use is 2 years, same as stihl and husky. As the distributors for stihl / husky are factory owned, they have a universal sales plan. indepentant importers such as the ones in NZ and AUS can do as they please to try and get you to buy the product... the factory has nothing to do with the extra 3 years.

2. Kioritz (Echo) are a japanese based manufacturer who put millions of dollars into refinement (note - not R&D!!!). The warranty cost on echo products for importers / distributors are relatively low because the japanese dont try new things, they copy other ideas and refine them to a point of near perfection (but always many many years later due to copywright laws).

3. It is because of point 2, that you can pick up a 346 xp (49cc) husky, and absolutly blitz a CS6702 (67cc) echo. While the durability of the jap stuff can go the distance because they continuosly improve on 1 idea, the latest, coolest, and more powerfull gear will continue to come from Europe.

4. At the end of the day, a pro user will go wear out a stihl, husky, or echo in the same amount of time. The problem is, stihl and husky have the cool advanced stuff and a pro with an echo will take twice as long on the job as a pro with the europe gear. An the echo man will also spend twice as much on fuel...

There, I have said it. Crucify me if you will, but thats that. :givebeer:

That's not entirely correct. Take for example, the hybrid 4-stroke. Shindaiwa invented the technology and was the first company to put it into production. (C4). A few years later, out comes Stihl's hybrid. (4-Mix). A very close copy, but not as good. It's not very hard to see who copied who.

Back