Ive worked on some much stuff at my new Job....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok chainsaw fans, here we go. An un biased educated opinion.

1. In NZ and AUS, echo offer a 5 year warranty. This is not a factory warranty, but offered as 2 + 3. The importer / distributor wears the 3 year balance as a tactic to increase unit sales. The factory warranty on echo for consumer use is 2 years, same as stihl and husky. As the distributors for stihl / husky are factory owned, they have a universal sales plan. indepentant importers such as the ones in NZ and AUS can do as they please to try and get you to buy the product... the factory has nothing to do with the extra 3 years.

2. Kioritz (Echo) are a japanese based manufacturer who put millions of dollars into refinement (note - not R&D!!!). The warranty cost on echo products for importers / distributors are relatively low because the japanese dont try new things, they copy other ideas and refine them to a point of near perfection (but always many many years later due to copywright laws).

3. It is because of point 2, that you can pick up a 346 xp (49cc) husky, and absolutly blitz a CS6702 (67cc) echo. While the durability of the jap stuff can go the distance because they continuosly improve on 1 idea, the latest, coolest, and more powerfull gear will continue to come from Europe.

4. At the end of the day, a pro user will go wear out a stihl, husky, or echo in the same amount of time. The problem is, stihl and husky have the cool advanced stuff and a pro with an echo will take twice as long on the job as a pro with the europe gear. An the echo man will also spend twice as much on fuel...

There, I have said it. Crucify me if you will, but thats that. :givebeer:

How can a a 346xp blitz a 670 when my 510 cut faster than a 346xp except in 2" pine. Maybe if modded a lot. Steve

How can a a 346xp blitz a 670 when my 510 cut faster than a 346xp except in 2" pine. Maybe if modded a lot. Steve

You seem to be the only one who thinks that the Echo's are fast.

No way any stock 50cc Echo is going to hang with a stock 346xp or a 5100 in the same conditions. I have a cs346 and have run a few other echo's. They are decent saws but are not KNOWN for their speed.

Don't even compare modded saws......

You seem to be the only one who thinks that the Echo's are fast.

No way any stock 50cc Echo is going to hang with a stock 346xp or a 5100 in the same conditions. I have a cs346 and have run a few other echo's. They are decent saws but are not KNOWN for their speed.

Don't even compare modded saws......

No the 5100 is going to beat my Echo and a stock 346xp in anything but small wood. Steve A Cs346 is around 34cc, no comparision.

That's not entirely correct. Take for example, the hybrid 4-stroke. Shindaiwa invented the technology and was the first company to put it into production. (C4). A few years later, out comes Stihl's hybrid. (4-Mix). A very close copy, but not as good. It's not very hard to see who copied who.

Shindawa didn't invent it... it's nothing new and has been around (but pretty much unused) since before WW2... and the C4 is different to Stihl's approach.

As for the other posters assertion that the Japanese don't try new things..rubbish....

Last edited:
Paint m

I say we go to Walmart tomorrow and buy some spray paint and paint our echos to look like these sthils and huskies so these brand babies will leave a good saw alone.
Its almost like being in high school again (my fords is faster than your chevy BS). Hell i've got a stihl,husky,MCCULLOCH and an ECHO that all do the job that i ask of them and at the end of the day I have a big smile on my face from runnin m. plus mine are bigger better and faster than his.:chainsaw:

Ok chainsaw fans, here we go. An un biased educated opinion.

1. In NZ and AUS, echo offer a 5 year warranty. This is not a factory warranty, but offered as 2 + 3. The importer / distributor wears the 3 year balance as a tactic to increase unit sales. The factory warranty on echo for consumer use is 2 years, same as stihl and husky. As the distributors for stihl / husky are factory owned, they have a universal sales plan. indepentant importers such as the ones in NZ and AUS can do as they please to try and get you to buy the product... the factory has nothing to do with the extra 3 years. ....

Who really cares about the warrency of a sub-standard saw brand???? :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
no bash

No the 5100 is going to beat my Echo and a stock 346xp in anything but small wood. Steve A Cs346 is around 34cc, no comparision.

Steve? Try Brian, LOL.

I know my cs346 is a 34cc. It also has the muffler gutted and runs great for it's size....

I'm not bashing Echo and might have some more if I didn't buy a few Stihl's.:cheers:

Who really cares about the warrency of a sub-standard saw brand???? :greenchainsaw:

Niko,

Is this a setup? Is so, you hooked me.

Many homeowners that use one tank of gas a year care about the warranty. Anytime your try to rationalize a purchase to your spouse or to thine own self, the warranty may come into play. A decent percentage of new car purchases occur because "Oh my, it's out of warranty now."

Now, I realize that of 20 thousand some registered souls on this site, but a handful have ever rationalized a purchase, so I may be breaking new ground for you.

The King, the Absolute King, of Rationalization,

Joat

someone rep Joat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niko,

Is this a setup? Is so, you hooked me.

Many homeowners that use one tank of gas a year care about the warranty. Anytime your try to rationalize a purchase to your spouse or to thine own self, the warranty may come into play. A decent percentage of new car purchases occur because "Oh my, it's out of warranty now."

Now, I realize that of 20 thousand some registered souls on this site, but a handful have ever rationalized a purchase, so I may be breaking new ground for you.

Joat

Good point, most will say we are all nuts for spending so much time/money on a saw(s):cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Steve? Try Brian, LOL.

I know my cs346 is a 34cc. It also has the muffler gutted and runs great for it's size....

I'm not bashing Echo and might have some more if I didn't buy a few Stihl's.:cheers:

And I hadn't bought that CS510 I'd have more Stilhs now and some Huskys. Stihl MS170 2-044"s Husky 385xp Rancher55 Echo CS440 2-( CS510"s CS6700 favorites) CS8000 CS5500 CS5000 Sol0 690 Cub Cadet 5670 Steve And a Dolmar 143what a beast

Last edited:
Echo has a good reputation around here. I know some people that have been running models from the 80's and are still using them,mostly for farm and firewood saws. I have been around logging a bit over the years and have wondered why I never see loggers using them.

From joatmon
" Now, I realize that of 20 thousand some registered souls on this site, but a handful have ever rationalized a purchase, so I may be breaking new ground for you."

Joat

First of all good luck to Red85 and his chainsaw business anyway, I'd target the non-commercial side on the saws myself, less hassle all-round and Mountainlake says some modern echos seem to be grunty enough, for me I've used a fair few echos and they were all disappointing performance-wise, but I did recently use a very modern echo pruning saw and it was crap even though it had more power than the usual echo for it's size, vibration, coarse motor - and in the junkheap within a few weeks! And Joat it's the person buying the saw that makes the decision, no new ground there for most chainsaw buyers I'd thought or is there a bigger market for newbies who can be sweet talked into anything? :cry:

I Cant Believe This Is A Topic

Why oh why anyone would prefer echo is beyond me. The question came up about echo not being in the logging industry. I can sum up why in 3 words

"they are $hit"

you might as well buy a ryobi

Their line trimmers however,are the best you can buy.

Ran my Cs510 against my brothers 346xp. My gutless 510 was dead even with 346 in 10" oak. Same as before. 346 had more RPM 510 more torque both cut the same speed. Steve Getting awfull smokey down under. Both bone stock

Last edited:
I bought an echo top handle a year or so ago and it has surved me very well.

if its the cs.2600, cs.2600es, cs350t or cs350tes be carefull. they have a huge seizure rate. the bellows stretch and get twigs caught in them as the saw antivibes move, lean seizure. I've had 4 replaced under warranty, if you talk to your echo tech man he will tell you all about it - trying to give the top handles away now as it costs too much in petrol driving to the store to return them. why dont i add them to my saw list??? because like my cs5100, cs6702 and cs8001, it's junk.

They feel heavier and awkward to use, lower performance, higher fuel consumption. I save an average of $1600 per saw per year in fuel alone buy running husky. Then take in to account the labour savings, I would estimate that the huskys and stihls are 10% faster in the cut. Doesnt sound like a lot, but this saves me an additional $2000 per year in labour per man. How many echos can you buy in a year for $3600...

Lean seizure and takes more fuel. More smoke. I'd have ao agree on theCS8000, not Echo's best by far. Steve

lean outs only on top hadles due to av movement stretching bellows...

but like i say, all my trimmers are echo because no one else can get it right...

the cs8001 runs well with a 14" bar and 3/8LP chain... ;) :rock: :D

I just got a great idea. Red may wanna open an echo shop down here!! Steve, reckon it'd do any good?

Latest posts

Back