japanese kei mini-trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have one of these? I am seriously considering one for use in the yard. Am currently using a beater pickup, but had thought I'd get a atv with trailer to haul splits with. One of these looks like it would be a better fit, but am afraid of spending the money and getting burndt. I know they aren't street legal in Wisconsin, but am wondering if they are subject to atv regulations.(Could take it on designated atv trails) They look real interesting. Any thoughts?

Have you ever run one? They aren't going to haul much. A 2 person side by side would be better suited.
We had them in Korea (calle them Bongos) and they handle like poo. Easy to tip over, and if you get on the brakes with 2 people, and an empty bed they stand on their nose!
They suit 100lb 4-5ft tall people better!

I just looked at a site for Jap mini-trucks and saw they had some Suzuki's. I had an 88 Chevy Geo that was made by Suzuki. It had a 3 cylinder, 1 liter engine, 5 speed, got 60 MPG. I loved it, till it got 125,000 miles on it. It was like I wound up a spring and at 125k, every thing fell apart, Joe.

I'm pretty sure that's what he means. That was what I was thinking of. An American company used to make them, Grumman? Can't remember. They had one that the bed lifted up on a scissor jack, level, 4 feet, then dumped. Thought it would be great for dumping firewood over a chain link fence, Joe.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I can't believe it dumps, and didn't know kia makes them, also. If that were close by, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Tons of them around me. Everyone I know has one. But I have a van version. In the Japanese countryside, its all you see.

All are 660cc (0.66 liter) 3-cly mid-engine, and most have 4WD. The bed is 4' wide, 6' long, and the tail gate as well as both sides flap down, allowing for a completely flat bed.

If you're over 5'10", you'll have a tight fit unless you get the (slightly) extended cab type. If over 6'2", its unlikely you'll be able to physically get around the steering wheel.

Totally illegal I believe in the US though, mainly due to complete lack of safety. (lack of crumple zones, no airbags, just a thin piece of sheet metal separates your feet from the front bumper) Good luck finding one.

Someone had a about 10 of them for sale a few years ago around here. Everything went well until they needed parts! I think everyone of them is gone now. Be careful if you have to source parts! Gets really expensive when you have to have everything shipped over to the US. Speaking as an authority, I own a UNIMOG.

I would love to own a Unimog but from what I understand every part right down to the tires is a custom part. I look into mini trucks several years ago but they are only street legal in a couple of states. Right now, I am looking for a Mitsubishi Fuso FG4x4. Prices, even of rust buckets, would choke a moose.

http://www.mitfuso.com/en-us/models/fg4x4

We had a local guy selling these for awhile. He sold them stock and lifted with ATV tires/wheels on them. I almost bought one and have regretted it ever since because i cant find one reasonable now. I thought they would be the perfect farm truck

1996%20MITSUBISHI%20TRUCK.JPG

My dad has one. It is not a gray market version. It was sold under the cushman name and made by Mitsubishi in Japan for off road use in the US. It is left hand drive. It is a 4x4 with the flat bed and folding sides. It doesn't dump. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is a 1.0l 4 cyl. With a three speed manual trans.

It has been fairly trouble free other than some recent carburetor problems. It has a fairly complicated speed governed carburetor and it loads up and fouls plugs if you let it idle. According to his research the easiest fix is to replace it with a motorcycle carburetor. I guess they have problems with ignition modules but the 4 pin gm HEI modules can be made to work.

It is a great yard truck rated for 1000# payload. I know he regularly has more than that in it. It is very low impact and even with marginal street tires it gets around just fine in the yard. I'm not sure how capable it would be off road.

IMO it is a much more robust vehicle than a side by side at a much lower price. IIRC He paid $2500 for it around ten years ago.

For anyone interested he has been talking about selling it. I'm pretty sure $1000 would take it.

My dad has one. It is not a gray market version. It was sold under the cushman name and made by Mitsubishi in Japan for off road use in the US. It is left hand drive.

I think he has like this:

http://www.valuevehicles.org/cushman-gas-utility-little-truck.html

_5482893.jpg

This is an export model and nicer/bigger. A "real" Japanese kei-truck is smaller and probably less roomy/comfortable, and usually devoid of any bells and whistles. In Japan the design is based on a "small (kei) vehicle" limit, which allows for cheaper insurance, lower tax/registration, and cheaper tolls. Such cars/trucks can have a maximum of 660cc engine and 63hp, with max width of 1.5m (about 5ft) and length of 3.4m (about 11ft). Usually they are 5-speed (sometimes 4 or AT) and with 3-cyl, and the trucks have a 350kg (770lb) payload. They get about 40-45mpg and sell new for about $6 to 8000 new

If you notice, the J-version is a little less in size:

DSCF3592.JPG

Yes, like the first picture. I didn't realize it was so much different.

The cab isn't all that big. I'm 6'4, big and tall and I can barely drive it.

For many years I drove an '85 Toyota mini van. The mini trucks remind me a lot of that van. That thing was bulletproof except for the Ohio rust. I think it was considered a 1 ton van. I used to an entire band's worth of equipment and drive it all over. Mine was blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 15
My dad has one. It is not a gray market version. It was sold under the cushman name and made by Mitsubishi in Japan for off road use in the US.
Thank you, I said Grumman, it was Cushman that I used to see all over. They had a lot of them on government installations like NIH, Joe.

If they made one that was street legal in all 50, I'd get one for running around town. I had one of the first Chevy Sprints, made by Suzuki. It had a 3 cylinder, 5 speed, and got dead on 60 MPG. You would think if they can make a Smart Car safe they could do something with the mini trucks. But, then they would cost 25-30 K, Joe.

A friend of mine had one but I don't remember the brand.
Anyway, it was 4 wheel drive and did well as long as all wheels had equal traction, but neither differential locked nor did the transfer case, and if you lost traction with one wheel, you were stuck.

If they made one that was street legal in all 50, I'd get one for running around town. I had one of the first Chevy Sprints, made by Suzuki. It had a 3 cylinder, 5 speed, and got dead on 60 MPG. You would think if they can make a Smart Car safe they could do something with the mini trucks. But, then they would cost 25-30 K, Joe.
I thought to be street legal it had to have bumpers headlights and seat belts... turn signals optional since you could hand signal. If it has the basics and a title you should be able to register it in any state, except maybe kalifornia.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back