Japanese Maple + Neem oil = Very Bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ej24

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've posted this on other gardening and horticulture forums and nobody had any real advice so I figured I'd try here.

I recently had spider mites and root aphids attacking a small, ~5 year old Japanese maple (grown from a seed) in a ~25 gallon pot. The new growth was beginning to wilt pretty bad so I decided to do something about it before it started dropping leaves. I don't like overly toxic pesticides so I figured the usual Neem Oil would take care of it. Well it wilted worse. So I figured, hell I'll spray it again every other day until I wipe out the insects. It wilted worse. It was at this point I realized Japanese maple might be one of those few plants that simply can't tolerate Neem. Unfortunately I was right.

I doused it with fresh water every day (it's very well draining pot) to wash it as best as I could. Alas it dropped every damn leaf. No insects anymore, also no tree...

It's been about a month. No new growth. No new buds. No signs of life.

Most branches have turned grey and dry so I know they're dead. However, I noticed the lower half of the trunk is still dark. I slight scratch of the bark still yields green flesh below. So in a last ditch effort to save the tree could I coppice it? Do Japanese maples tolerate coppicing? Do I have any options? I'd really like to save the tree.

Sorry, I realize now I meant to post this in the Help Forum

Latest posts

Back