Jonsered 2166 vs 2172

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtthwvn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been checking these saws out and I noticed both of these models have the same cc's and weight... What's the difference between them?

Matt

i dont no much about them but i would think the 2172 has better vib and filter system. but im sure terry will be around to tell u the difference

they are the exact same saw down to the last nut and bolt except for the transfer port covers,the sticker and the metal badge. the 2166 has a restrictor cast into the transfer port cover that cuts down the flow and in turn the hp. if you take that cover off and grind out the restriction then wahla you have a 2172 with 2166 sticker and badge.

I assume the options that can be had with the saw when new is a bit different as well, like handle and carb heating, but everything can of course be retrofitted....;)

So what's the price difference in these two saws? I visited your website tlandrum but couldn't find any prices, just specs. I'm not too concerned about heated handles...never even ran a saw that had it.

they are the exact same saw down to the last nut and bolt except for the transfer port covers,the sticker and the metal badge. the 2166 has a restrictor cast into the transfer port cover that cuts down the flow and in turn the hp. if you take that cover off and grind out the restriction then wahla you have a 2172 with 2166 sticker and badge.

The one other difference is that the 2166 only comes with an inside dog while the 2172 has both inside and outside. The outside dog costs about $17 if you gotta have it.

The one other difference is that the 2166 only comes with an inside dog while the 2172 has both inside and outside. The outside dog costs about $17 if you gotta have it.
spike is 100% correct,in that case I fell the 2166 is a better buy,i just bought another one ,Comstock logging supply dolgville ny has the 2166 with 24in bar,on sale for 599,99 I thin that's a super deal,if I had the extra money I would buy a 3rd,boy the run great and a great do-it all saw,with the 20inch,its super for limbing a fellen trees,or bucking up fire wood,

Back