Jonsered 2188

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the suggestion would be get the lighter 2172 for everyday use and go out and get a different power head for any milling.

If you had a choice between the two 2188 vs 2172 for felling and bucking, forget milling and money was not the issue which would be recommended.

For bucking and felling the lighter saws will be more nimble. Keep in mind that you could buy a used large displacement saw for milling whether it be running or something that needs a rebuild. I would not suggest that someone use their primary "earning income" saw on the mill.

To an extent but you can meet up a 90cc saw witha 50cc saw later on and still get a decent two saw plan with milling capability. If he gets a 2172, he still might want something smaller, and then he also needs something bigger.

I would get the 2172 and then look for a used 394/5 for milling. The 2188 is a good saw but I think the 2172 would serve you better unless you need to run a 32" all the time for felling and bucking. The milling will be harder on a saw than the felling/bucking by a long shot. I think something with better filtration and a stronger bottom end would be the way to go.

Far as I recall the 2188 uses the same crank and bearings as the 349/395 saw basically.

Well....basically the same stroke, but the rest is a little different besides the flywheel side bearing. The 395 has a longer stub for the outboard clutch.

Last edited:
I just wanted to see if I should be aware of any changes that are already in the works.

I was thinking the same thing about the 36 inch bar coming standard being BS. I was originally thinking he puts the 36 on for the showroom more than what would be recomended. When I asked thats what he told me. Like I said all the research I have done the longest bar JRed recomends in 32.

As far as I know, Husky/Jonsered saws that large doesn't "come standard" with any specific bar. They basically are sold pho, and either the distributer or the dealer added the bar.

Last edited:
After some digging around and cutting a connecting rod off a 390 crank to measure it better they are the same.

372 390 395

crank bearing OD 35mm 40mm 40mm
crank bearing ID 15mm 17mm 17mm
crank bearing width 11mm 12mm 12mm
big end pin 16mm 18mm 18mm
big end rod bearing ID 22mm 24mm 24mm

I still think the 2172 will essentially necessitate the purchase of a larger saw down the line, whereas a 2188 will not.

To the OP, if you are ok with this, that's fine.

I'd also say though that if I were routinely cutting hardwoods with a 24"+ bar then I would probably look to a bigger saw than a 2172 anyway.

One thing that has always frustrated me is finding big saws in decent shape used. Most of the time when I see a 394/395 for sale it is one tired looking saw. Outside of this site not many people buy them to use occasionally. And even when they are pretty spent people still want $500+ for them.

I have a 3120 that's in very good condition that I got a pretty good deal on, but it still cost me more than any other saw ever did.

I have a few customers that have the same dilema, bought 2188 and alaskan mill setups only to find that they didnt like changing out the mill every time they needed to use the saw for bucking or felling, then they came back for 2165's or 71's and are much happier having both. Personally I'd buy the 2172 w/24" for everyday use and get a 395/4 for the mill like I have. It may not look like much on paper but the extra grunt of the 394 is well worth it on a mill.

On bar size, the saw ships with a 20" up bar size, sopping at 36"- it's whatever the dealer asks for shipped...so in a way it does ship standard with a 36- that is to say, it doesn't ship with a 24" and then you have to get a 36".

That saw is only a couple years old, cant see it being replaced soon.

I know a guy who has one locally, he bucks hardwood two feet and above all the time with it and he says it eats it up. If the milling is a part time thing, I'd say go for it. If you want to mill a lot, I agree with the suggestion of the 2172 for felling, etc. due to lighter weight and a bigger saw for milling.

So with Tilton out of the JRed business should I hold on the 2188. Do you think there will be enough support

I really like he dealer. He is small and most important friendly. How can I be sure he will be able in 6 months to take care of any issues

I take it that I should not worry about the fact the distribution and dealer support is in flux. It seems husky is taking back JRed

I would imagine they'll be support for Jonsered after Tilton goes away. I don't see them going away as a brand.

I take it that I should not worry about the fact the distribution and dealer support is in flux. It seems husky is taking back JRed

In theory your dealer, depending on what other lines he has, in an unlikely, worst case scenario could dump Jonsered if he doesn't like the agreement hat he will have to to make with the new distributor.

Does he have other strong lines?

Chances are there is always going to be a (and likely many) JRed dealer somewhere in the western half of CT so you don't have to worry too much I wouldn't think.

If hell freezes over and worst comes to worst you can always get the jonsered parts through husky.

I wouldn't really worry one way or another though.

Picked it up today. Runs like a raped ape. Was cutting 30 plus inch Hickory and it ripped right through it

Thanks everyone

View attachment 273995

I got the 2188. Its alway better to have a few more cc's and the weight difference was not big enough for me to get the 2171. If I get into milling and love it I can get a bigger saw and dedicate it to just milling

Latest posts

Back