Jonsered 590 and Husqvarna 55 EPA (45mm) Piston options ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoMax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a nice Jonsered 590 Cylinder, but i need a piston...
Husqvarna 55 does also fit (or actually, the 590 piston is superceeded by it). The 55 EPA piston cost's more than 100 Euro here, that is just to expensive :msp_scared:
Does anybody know a windowed 45mm Piston that fits ? What Pin and bearing size does the Husqvarna 254 Piston for example have ? I'm afraid the con-rod end is bigger than on the Partner 5000/husqvarna 55 saws...
And also I'm afraid that the 55 Epa piston will be NLA in some Time...
Ideas ? :msp_biggrin:
Max

I'm in the same boat. 254 piston is 12mm wrist pin. It is also taller.
I asked the same thing not long ago, mastermind said he was going to do a build thread on one he built with a 254 piston soon.

well, looked on the Meteor homepage, the Alpina 500 Piston seems good:
Piston Kit Fit Alpina 500 Model 45mm Kolben | eBay
Pin Size is the same as the 590 has, maybe bearing also so that I would'nt even have to change anything, the Piston is shorter, but the 246 piston i've put in a 5000 Partner is also. If it's really windowed, that should work !
I hope the distance between pin and top is not that much different or if, then bigger...
Max

Hello,
I've got a nice Jonsered 590 Cylinder, but i need a piston...
Husqvarna 55 does also fit (or actually, the 590 piston is superceeded by it). The 55 EPA piston cost's more than 100 Euro here, that is just to expensive :msp_scared:Does anybody know a windowed 45mm Piston that fits ? What Pin and bearing size does the Husqvarna 254 Piston for example have ? I'm afraid the con-rod end is bigger than on the Partner 5000/husqvarna 55 saws...
And also I'm afraid that the 55 Epa piston will be NLA in some Time...
Ideas ? :msp_biggrin:
Max

What is the sourse for that one - I suspect that some would be interested....

Hello you master of swedish saws :msp_biggrin:
Here for 102 euro, i meant this one:
Originalersatzteile, Wölfnitzer Werkzeugkiste GmbH, Ersatzteile und Service Center
Bu i've also found it for 80 euro:
Husqvarna Ersatzteil KOLBEN( 503168771 ) -503168771
I just ordered one...:msp_biggrin:
If someone (you ?) is really interested, i could order a 2nd one and send it...(if they have that much or can really get them).
I wonder that they even have this piston, the saw was never sold in europe afaik and the 590 is also rare in germany...
Max

Right, the closed port 55 was an EPA version sold for just a few years in the USA, so I am also a bit surpriced that you found one in Germany. There have been several threads on here, where people has been frustrated that they couldn't find one.

That's the reason I asked you to tell the sourse, not that I need one myself. :msp_smile:

Btw, an option that hasn't been mentioned here is the 353 piston - I don't remember how suitable that one is though....

I know the 590's and a 2152 piston is interchangeable. I have put a few of the windowed 590 pistons into 2152s and have had great results. But as far as height and wrist pin size its exactly the same. im assuming the husky equivilent is the same.

yeah, the 353 Piston does not work ! I've got one here (is installed now with the cylinder in a 350), did stick it in. It does have kind of cut outs in the bottom, but at ldc and short before it totally closes the lower transfer. The 353's lower transfers are in the bottom of the cylinder, feeded partially from cutouts in the crankcase :msp_wink:

Via google i found that Jacksmallengines sells the 590 Piston for 45 bucks:
Poulan PISTON 503168701
I don't know if it was used by Poulan also (the 325 has 46mm), but at least it's the same part number.
By the way, I#m to put this cylinder setup in a Partner 540 H with electrically heated handles...
Max

well i also ordered an Alpina 500 piston now, so that we get any further here about alternatives...:msp_biggrin:
seems to be windowed...if not, i'm gonna return this...
Max

well i also ordered an Alpina 500 piston now, so that we get any further here about alternatives...:msp_biggrin:
seems to be windowed...if not, i'm gonna return this...
Max

Would you please post dimensions and pictures of the pistons as they come in? It seems there are a handful of obsolete 45mm pistons that folks are trying to match with aftermarket options. I could use total height, pin diameter, height above pin, pin width, etc.

Thanks.

Via google i found that Jacksmallengines sells the 590 Piston for 45 bucks:
Poulan PISTON 503168701
I don't know if it was used by Poulan also (the 325 has 46mm), but at least it's the same part number.
By the way, I#m to put this cylinder setup in a Partner 540 H with electrically heated handles...
Max

Even though the part number matches, the one Jacks has is a non-windowed piston.
I finally found an nos 590 piston a few months ago on ebay, but prior to that, I tried everything... no luck.
The 500 Alpina piston sounds promising, I never tried that one.

There is also the dolmar 112 piston. I found one on ebay, couldn't find the specs on it though. Only site I see with that info is Meteor, and they don't make one.

the 112 has 12mm wrist pin diameter, i guess. Wrist pin bearing is the same for 112, 114, 116 and 117...

Even though the part number matches, the one Jacks has is a non-windowed piston.
I finally found an nos 590 piston a few months ago on ebay, but prior to that, I tried everything... no luck.

Non windowed is possible, there were also 590 cylinders that were feed from beneath the cylinder, with cut outs on the base...
Well, my cylinder looks like a partner 5000 cylinder.
Max

590 cylinder closed port I had. I have also seen the ones that look like the 5000 cyl in 45mm.

Copyof590cylinder.jpg

yeh that's the one i meant ! A 353 piston should work on this...
I'm sure that someone with experience in porting could modify a 5000 (style) cylinder this way...
Do, by the way, 46mm versions of such a cylinder exist ?
Max

At least there are some 46mm closed port ones in that "family" of cylinders - P5500, PP325 and Jonsered 2055.

Btw, the 2151 is another closed port 45mm from that "family", that so far hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I doubt one of those pistons are any easier to find though...

At least there are some 46mm closed port ones in that "family" of cylinders - P5500, PP325 and Jonsered 2055.

Btw, the 2151 is another closed port 45mm from that "family", that so far hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I doubt one of those pistons are any easier to find though...

Guess who just found one of the NOS 46mm 325/5500 pistons this week? :msp_thumbup:

There dang hard to come by. I feel better now with a spare just in case of a disaster.

Back