Jonsered 630 not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kallaste

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw runs fine but oiler is not working. I have cleaned the saw, rinsed out the oiler hole and pressurized the oil tank thrue a bolt hole when you remove the muffler. I ran the saw w/out the bar and it still wont oil. Is the oiler adjustable? How do I fix this? Do I need to split the case? How does the oil pump work? Please expalin thouroghly w/ as many steps as possible. I havent done much work w/ chainsaws. I did a search, but didnt come up w/ much info. Thanks ahead of time.. Steve..

IF its the same as the 670, the oil pump is driven off the clutch drum, by a plastic screw of sorts that sits on the crank. if you need pictures I can do that for you. theres an adjuster screw on the side of the oil pump, which is just behind the clutch drum on the saw, in the upper rear corner there should be a little flathead type screw, which is labelled with numbers 1-4, and will adjust the oil output.

mine is permanantly set at #4.

oil

same thing as 670 look at the plastic gear could also be a hole in the oil line.:yoyo:

Lawn Masters said:
IF its the same as the 670, the oil pump is driven off the clutch drum, by a plastic screw of sorts that sits on the crank. if you need pictures I can do that for you. theres an adjuster screw on the side of the oil pump, which is just behind the clutch drum on the saw, in the upper rear corner there should be a little flathead type screw, which is labelled with numbers 1-4, and will adjust the oil output.

mine is permanantly set at #4.

Nice post Lawn jockey, I have to give you credit that was fairly informative.

good on ya

Buck

630 oiler

:bang: Thanks for the info. You seem very knowledgable on the 630. I found the adj screw and turned it clockwise and counter clockwise. It clicks w/ each # setting but I can continue to turn it it seems infinately adjustable. I saw the gear where the chain goes and it seems to float towards the saw or the clutch 1/8 in either way. I dont see a gear for the pump. there is an opaque washer right against the saw where the clutch shaft goes into the saw, looks kinda like a cover to keep sawdust from getting into the body of the saw. How do you get the clutch off and how do you get to the oil pump to service it? Thanks for all your help!!
Ok got the clutch off. black plastic gear look rough. Even w/ new gear I cant figure out how this thing could pump oil, It has no impellers or anything. is the whole housing suppose to be full of barlube in order to lube the crankshaft bearings? I dont get it it looks like spider gears, how will this pump oil even w/ a new plastic gear. I pulled the hose out w/ the filter on the end how does it pump oil thrue the oil hole? I see no passages. Thanks Steve..

Last edited:
one thing I forgot to mention in pm, it may take some force on the wrench to remove the clutch. they have a habit of tightening themselves on there real well.

kallaste said:
:bang: Thanks for the info. You seem very knowledgable on the 630. I found the adj screw and turned it clockwise and counter clockwise. It clicks w/ each # setting but I can continue to turn it it seems infinately adjustable. I saw the gear where the chain goes and it seems to float towards the saw or the clutch 1/8 in either way. I dont see a gear for the pump. there is an opaque washer right against the saw where the clutch shaft goes into the saw, looks kinda like a cover to keep sawdust from getting into the body of the saw. How do you get the clutch off and how do you get to the oil pump to service it? Thanks for all your help!!
Ok got the clutch off. black plastic gear look rough. Even w/ new gear I cant figure out how this thing could pump oil, It has no impellers or anything. is the whole housing suppose to be full of barlube in order to lube the crankshaft bearings? I dont get it it looks like spider gears, how will this pump oil even w/ a new plastic gear. I pulled the hose out w/ the filter on the end how does it pump oil thrue the oil hole? I see no passages. Thanks Steve..
The spider gear is driven by sprocket when the saw is running over idle rpm.The spider gear drives the worm gear installed on the pump shaft.At the end of the pump shaft there is a cut that sucks oil from the oil pump,sending oil to the blade.On the oil hose,you should have a brass filter WITH a screen on it.If no screen,then dirt goes inside the oil pump.Before intalling back the oil pump,blow air to clean hose and pump.Dont forget the small seal that is recessed in the c/case going over the oil duct.On the shaft ,check if the tiny screw holding the gear and shaft together is there.Usually,we remove the shaft from the pump to clean passage inside with air.Dont run your saw w/o bar and chain,the clutch could come off and hurt you .
Your crank bearings are lubricated by your gas mixture,no chain oil should come inside your engine.

I have my saw apart and am also wondering how this thing actually oils. I can see how it bring GS the oil In but where does it go from there? Does it fill up the silver plate that's part of the oiler or does it pump to another port? My saw leaks oil really bad so I was searching for a seal or something that would cause it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's a 670 champ also

I have my saw apart and am also wondering how this thing actually oils. I can see how it bring GS the oil In but where does it go from there? Does it fill up the silver plate that's part of the oiler or does it pump to another port? My saw leaks oil really bad so I was searching for a seal or something that would cause it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's a 670 champ also

Oil go from the hose to the IN port,then the metal shaft gear driven by the plastic gear ( only when rpm is over idle rpm ) will turn.The shaft at one end has a cut that serves like a scoop to pull oil.The other end of the shaft has an angled end that create in/out movement while touching the eccentric bolt for adjustmentThe movement of the shaft push oil ito the OUT port and then to your blade .

Back