Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after a year of running my 80/90 felling saw I have my first brake down
View attachment 570429
Not sure how this connected to the handle
Is there a bolt inside ? or some kind of tab ?
Why it's not mounted the same as the top I'am not sure
I looked on google and didn't find any images on the handle assembly
If anyone has a pic or a part # I would appreciate it
I will take the 2 screws out tonight and have a lookView attachment 570430
I like the spike on this it holds even in loose bark

As in Tim's 90 IPL, it's the whole AV....your rubber portion ripped off the steel. I've seen these on eBay and the old saw parts places used, NOS are a bit harder to find but probably worth it after all this time & fatigue on the originals.

Kevin

As in Tim's 90 IPL, it's the whole AV....your rubber portion ripped off the steel. I've seen these on eBay and the old saw parts places used, NOS are a bit harder to find but probably worth it after all this time & fatigue on the originals.

Kevin

I found a complete handle with av intact
I have added to list for all av rubber mounts (hard to find)

I found a complete handle with av intact
I have added to list for all av rubber mounts (hard to find)

It's a VERY long-lived AV...in the thirty plus yrs I've used my 80, that's never been replaced that I remember. Those bottom handle black plastic support pieces are very hard to find as well....something to consider when you're tempted just to throw the saw in the back of your truck hard.....lol.

Kevin

Guys I have started a little Blog in Australia in an attempt to help people understand some of the less well know saws down here. If you are interested in having a look I would be keen if any Jonsereds experts see any errors or think that there is specific information that should be added. Its not meant to be book type entry but a basic overview of the brand. Cheers.
http://pepeschainsaws.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/the-respected-swede.html

Nice blog start for Jonsereds.

Selfishly, I would like to see mention of the 70E, the 621, the 801/80/90 for larger pro saws and a special mention for the 910, the last 'true' Jonsereds pro saw. Others will chime in with their personal perineal favorites I'm sure.

Also, I think it worth a mention of the strange, almost bizarre marketing and dealer network sales of the 60's-80's (before Electrolux Group AB rebadged the brand to Husky clones). In the PNW, about the only place you could get pro Jonsereds was Tilton out of Portland Oregon. And yet in places like Minnesota, Michigan and Main, dealer networks were developed.

Out here in the PNW back then, there were Husky dealers sprouting up everywhere. It was just a logical decision to buy a saw that was well supported. I wound up with my first J'reds in CO about '80 or so on a whim, as a back up saw for smaller scale. Been a huge fan ever since. I would also mention that if they had taken the 111S, put some plastic parts in it, electronic ignition and slimmed down the ginormous full-wrap, they might have competed well with the Husky 2100. Of course, that would have required a better dealer network back here (see above)...lol.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I deliberately left out some of the more iconic saws as I am keen to do specific pieces about a number that you mentioned. Jonsereds is my favorite brand alongside Sachs Dolmar and I have a bit in store on each of these manufactures most famous saws.

I have found that there is so much knowledge about saws but it tends to be hidden in a post here and there so I am keen to try and collate some of this history in the blog. I am just basically grabbing bits and pieces I have come across along the way.

I am keen to do a specific piece on marketing and dealer support in the saw world. It seems that Dolmar, Jonsereds and Solo all did a pretty good job of shooting themselves in the feet in this regard. Stihl has its dominance in Australia due to its rock steady dealer network that sees a dealer in every major town. Sure its the same in the US.

Yeah, I didn't mention Stihl. When I started loggin' in the PNW there were Stihls everywhere (they had become the New Guard)...I started with an 075. But then Husky in a very short amount of time just seemed to dominate the loggin' shows. I tend to believe that the 2100 was a clear winner and Husky went the extra distance to support us loggers out in the field. Plus, Bailey's was heavily discounting the saws. It was a win/win for us out in the field. Even when I moved away to CO, Husky clearly was dominating the woods there as well. In hindsight, knowing now what I know about the quality of pro Jonsereds back in the day, :cheers:, I would have had backup pro saws like the 90. And if I had stayed in the business, I probably would have tried at least the 910....especially in smaller scale.

Kevin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-90-CHAINSAW

I was gonna pass on this as a decent looking saw, but I see four problems. First, the full-wrap although correct (I have one just like it), terminates on the clutch side too far FWD, it should terminate on the center line of the clutch, right where the case body has that sloping shoulder at the bottom side of the saw. Of course it's cut too...like most are, but the angle is wrong and I'm wondering how it got that way. Secondly, the throttle trigger is some kinda phony ring arrangement..like Chuck Conners' Winchester in The Rifleman. Thirdly, the handle support piece above the clutch plate has a crack....it's toast. Fourthly, where the bar nuts are is some plate thing and I see no threads coming through the nut (Husky bar nut) towards the back of the saw. Obviously, he has something stripped or a problem there.....says it's a 'modified' clutch cover from a different saw...beware!

Makes me wonder what else has been 'rigged' on that saw. For that kinda money, I'd want everything correct to start with. Please don't think all us PNW guys rig big saws like this to run/sell...lol!

Kevin

Jesus....what is he cutting there, 'ironwood'? Incredibly dull chain I reckon, can't even finish the cut. I hope he doesn't get that price with all its faults......

Sometimes I think we are entering a new era of chainsaw dumbness....and displaying it proudly...lol!

Yeah, non-original AF lid screw(needs knob), non-original screw thing going on down toward the rear handle bottom, no fan screen (he does state that) and wrong pull handle for Jreds. Robin can probably find other stuff too...for that money I'd would want original parts throughout.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back