Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE="Hoggwood, post: 6243884, member: 121745"]Found a video I took of my 630 running some test cuts last summer after the rebuild. Forgot I had it. Bit long, but I like to listen to them after and study the sound/tune. Maybe a bit rich here. Hearing loss makes it tricky for me. This one seems to cut ok with the hybrid makeup. Meteor piston, 61 crank and flywheel and so forth. I noticed it was getting stronger after a dozen or so more tanks last fall. Chain was past due in the video.

I can almost smell those clean doug fir chips piling up on my feet.

[/QUOTE]

From what I can see/hear it sounds like it's tuned OK. Chain seems dull.

A Tilly in the old saws is pretty standard. One turn out on H and 1 1/2 turns out on L. If you are using like Stihl Pro Ultra, you could go 3/4 turn out on H and 1 1/4 out on L. Professionally, I never exceeded those setting and always be prepared to hunt for an air leak if those setting don't seem to work....or a plugged gas filter...or clogged AF. Especially check you AF before trying to tune a saw.

Kevin

Nice!! 630 has got be one of the best all around saws ever made!!! Like it took over where the 621 left off.....

On the other hand hard to pass up this BIN........LOL!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-Chain-Saw-/122476061715?hash=item1c84246413:g:MOAAAOSw42JZCNJG

AND only $37.65 more to ship it to Maine.....what a stihl.......

Yeah, I'm all over that $232.84 BIN price.....maybe it's a joke.

Saw is worth about $35 if you're so inclined to have it. Tim has brought home FAR better saws for free (or nearly free)!

Kevin

From what I can see/hear it sounds like it's tuned OK. Chain seems dull.

A Tilly in the old saws is pretty standard. One turn out on H and 1 1/2 turns out on L. If you are using like Stihl Pro Ultra, you could go 3/4 turn out on H and 1 1/4 out on L. Professionally, I never exceeded those setting and always be prepared to hunt for an air leak if those setting don't seem to work....or a plugged gas filter...or clogged AF. Especially check you AF before trying to tune a saw.

Kevin

I have a couple of 625's that are closer in line with the 1 1/2 and 1. For some reason, the early 630's won't run there for me. The are right with the 1 and (slightly less than) 3/4 the 162's called for. I gave up using the suggestions in the OM. I wonder if it only pertains to the later saws? Don't know what, if any change there may have been. I could never find an earlier manual for the 630 and have only found one post that mentioned the earlier settings being different.

Yep, chain was slow. I had hit something earlier and needed to hand file way down. Of course my flat file was at home. I might have been a stretch to say those rakers were even 0.010" below. Smooth ride though.

I wan't to switch to synthetic. The squeeler in town won't carry the stuff for some reason.

I picked this one up at my favorite Smithrite. Honestly can't be bothered. I have a bin full of these Easter eggs. The rebranded Pioneer and J-reds both have the nice P-series grip starts as OEM. Cracks me up when I think of the type of (muscle) saws those should be on.

Jonsered - Frontier (2).JPG

On the bigger J'reds like the 80/90 and Huskies like the 2100/2101 the big HS Tilly carbs all tune the same for me....maybe at most a 1/8 turn difference from saw to saw. Occasionally, I'd have a pro saw that was close to one turn out on L, but 3/4 turn out on H was the standard with a syn oil mix, 40:1. You're in a real danger zone if you tune in less than 3/4 on H. L is more forgiving.....I always tune in L slowly until the idle starts to pick up and/or the chain creeps, then back off....which usually puts me about 1-1 1/4 out. Then wrap it up a few times to make sure your trigger response is instant with no delay. If your ears are rotten, a tach is nice for H.

Amazon has vendors with Ultra Pro...many times free shipping and/or if you have Prime you don't pay to ship. We have a big squealer dealer here in town...used to be the local saw shop. I play dumb when I go in there...just easier than confrontation.

Kevin

Picked up a drill attachment (and kung fu grip) for older Jonsered saws - it was mounted to an XD but should work for my El Raket XB's, too.

Casting isn't great quality and didn't see any manufacturer info on the adaptor -- do you think this is something that Jonsered made or was it likely aftermarket?

Thanks

Scott
IMG_7251.JPG

Picked up a drill attachment (and kung fu grip) for older Jonsered saws - it was mounted to an XD but should work for my El Raket XB's, too.

Casting isn't great quality and didn't see any manufacturer info on the adaptor -- do you think this is something that Jonsered made or was it likely aftermarket?

Thanks

Scott
View attachment 579783

Hard to say, Scott. My first impulse/guess is to say it's an aftermarket unit. If there was some advertising literature featuring it, J'reds might have had a subcontractor build it. They did sell weed whackers after all.

Kevin

No kidding?......I assume you are familiar with the unit......LOL as I said, only so many left in that condition!!!

It has a Lamberts Power Equipment dealer decal on it. They were a dealer in Bethel, VT. Frank Lambert was even featured in Jonsereds advertising back in the day.

Ha I just came by here to see if there was 111 talk here yet? :laugh:

If you don't know who the seller is, you should. I have run that saw before and its a good one, probably as good or better then what anyone would expect to find today.

I'm not going to buy it, there is still another one over there if I want to run one again. :innocent:

If you don't know who the seller is, you should. I have run that saw before and its a good one, probably as good or better then what anyone would expect to find today.

I'm not going to buy it, there is still another one over there if I want to run one again. :innocent:

I assumed the saw belonged to "CBfarmall", and I remember seeing pictures of it before.

You knew we'd be muttering about it Mark LOL!!! It looks to be in super condition.....I'm not looking to buy either.....the one I have is in similar or perhaps a little better condition than that one....

Back