Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's a total bummer. Most of us are not gonna be interested in a different crank etc. Too many saws out there to use instead....after all the 70E while a notable saw in the ol' Jonny lineup, it not a Holy Grail saw.

Next proposal would be to follow the direction for repairing that SEM's module on the Stihl....think it was the 036. The EE that came up with the repair specialized in circuit design in real life. Amazing solution. Child's play to him, voodoo for me.....lol!

Kevin

Hey, what plugs are y'all running in your older J'reds? 60, 601, 62, 621, 80? Looks like Champion CJ7Y is the OEM plug, but I prefer NGK to Champion. Of course, there are half a dozen NGK equivalents listed.

Thanks

Scott

Scott....what ever plug you want run the top must unscrew as the older Jonsereds plug wire will only fit the treaded portion that's left.....the direct cross NGK from the J7Y doesn't unscrew.....I just stay with the Champions..... On a side note.....I acquire quite a few non-running Jonsereds....some are an easy fix.....some are only parts saws....the thing is.....what does nearly everyone do when their saw won't start???....put a new plug in it....so 90% of the parts saws I come by have a brand new, never fired spark plug....hehehehe....I have a box full of new J7ys...even though I have 50 odd running Jonsereds I'll never need to buy a spark plug for them...LOL!!!

OR.......you can change the boot end to the type that is larger so you can run any plug you want.....but of course then your very valuable ancient Jonsereds would not be considered stock.....

Well, that's a total bummer. Most of us are not gonna be interested in a different crank etc. Too many saws out there to use instead....after all the 70E while a notable saw in the ol' Jonny lineup, it not a Holy Grail saw.

Next proposal would be to follow the direction for repairing that SEM's module on the Stihl....think it was the 036. The EE that came up with the repair specialized in circuit design in real life. Amazing solution. Child's play to him, voodoo for me.....lol!

Kevin

Yeah.....to bad....but the 621 and 70E are not even the same family of saws so it's not surprising......guess I'll have to go back to that site and pee on that guys parade....seemed like a pretty clever guy and know what he was talking about......but not in this case....

Hey, what plugs are y'all running in your older J'reds? 60, 601, 62, 621, 80? Looks like Champion CJ7Y is the OEM plug, but I prefer NGK to Champion. Of course, there are half a dozen NGK equivalents listed.

Thanks

Scott

I'll just throw this out there and do what you want with it. I was a long time NGK advocate....I started using them as soon as they became available....long time ago. Was like using Autolite in muscle cars instead of Champion....working man's plug. Of course once a manufacturer gets a name going for themselves, they start to slide....the way of the world I guess. A couple of yrs ago I bought a lot of NGK plugs for my saws. I started to have problems with RPM's cutting out. Put in a new plug and all was fine, but just for awhile. Puzzled by what to do, I scored an NOS lot of Bosch WS7F plugs (I ran these loggin'). Everything has been fine since. Draw your own conclusions there.

I watched Champion go from the best plug in the world to shite and then back again. I won't run them because of that to this day. And I can say exactly the same for Bosch and all their electronic components. I'm struggling right now with Bosch componets on a vintage car that are made in third world places and the dist cap in Spain.....garbage.

I use Denso plugs now in everything...except the saws because of the Bosch NOS lot I scored. I would only throw those old style Bosck plugs out loggin' because they had been in forever....not because they failed.

There's a whole thing on runing resistor plugs and why....non-resistor plugs can damage the module etc supposedly. I've seen people run wrong, cockamamie plugs in small engines for yrs without damage...not suggesting doing it, but other than the wrong heat range, I wonder if non-resistor plugs can really damage modules.

Kevin

Yeah.....to bad....but the 621 and 70E are not even the same family of saws so it's not surprising......guess I'll have to go back to that site and pee on that guys parade....seemed like a pretty clever guy and know what he was talking about......but not in this case....

Hell yeah....give it to him. I hate that shite worst of all....people making stuff up that they think will work and never actually doing/trying it. I remember once asking a guy the details on how he did something....never could give me the details because he hadn't done it. If it were me and I was running a technical site, I'd kick their arses off the site for that.....grrr.

Kevin

Hell yeah....give it to him. I hate that shite worst of all....people making stuff up that they think will work and never actually doing/trying it. I remember once asking a guy the details on how he did something....never could give me the details because he hadn't done it. If it were me and I was running a technical site, I'd kick their arses off the site for that.....grrr.

Kevin
Well I went back and finally found the thread and reread it....he mentioned that when he used the 621 flywheel and he thought he used the 621 ign he said.....couldn't tell really if he just meant the coil.....but a 621 coil won't fit in the recoil cover on the 70E.....didn't actually say he used the points I guess but in another part of the tread he says he has several 70s with a points ign??....so I'm confused and am just gonna keep still as it's a two year old thread.....no sense stirring poo.....and dredging up obscure crap...

Kevin
Yeah...repairing a toasted SEM module is way beyond my pay grade.......

I have an early 630 with a silver ID tag SN 1984018212. 1984 saw?

I can't find an IPL for a 630 made before 1987. Does anyone know the PN's for the AV mounts?

I'n specifically looking for the PN for the cylindrical ones that are upper rear in line above the fuel cap.

Well I went back and finally found the thread and reread it....he mentioned that when he used the 621 flywheel and he thought he used the 621 ign he said.....couldn't tell really if he just meant the coil.....but a 621 coil won't fit in the recoil cover on the 70E.....didn't actually say he used the points I guess but in another part of the tread he says he has several 70s with a points ign??....so I'm confused and am just gonna keep still as it's a two year old thread.....no sense stirring poo.....and dredging up obscure crap...

Well ****, back to square one I guess. Sounds like smoke & mirrors to me.

Kevin

I can't find an IPL for a 630 made before 1987. Does anyone know the PN's for the AV mounts?

I'n specifically looking for the PN for the cylindrical ones that are upper rear in line above the fuel cap.

Here's the 1982 IPL for the early 630.

Attachments

• 630 1982 jonsereds parts.pdf
    730.2 KB · Views: 13

Hi Tim,

I am pretty certain when I swapped some out on one of mine ('82), I just used the 61/266 etc ones. IIRC they were the same part numbers. I know some vendors were trying to sell the front ones using the rear part numbers. The fronts have that sort of scalloped profile.

Anyone heard of more than 230 psi on an 80? I'm getting about 235 psi; used two different gauges. I started a thread in the main chainsaw forum.

Yep that's healthy......my 80 is always right at 238....with my gauge....so just about the same and I've never had it apart.

Hi Tim,

I am pretty certain when I swapped some out on one of mine ('82), I just used the 61/266 etc ones. IIRC they were the same part numbers. I know some vendors were trying to sell the front ones using the rear part numbers. The fronts have that sort of scalloped profile.

Bailey's used to sell two types of the same mounts for this family whether orange or red.....soft and firm.....don't know if they still do or not.....

Latest posts

Back