Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 80/90 I like it
I did not do it myself it came to me this way . having (2) 801s I would not mess with a good 80
Only time you see a difference is on a long bar
I like the felling spike

JaGtCW -

Great looking saw and that's some serious timber, too. I have plenty of 6, 7, and 8 cube saws for the long bars, so I'll leave well enough alone with the 80.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

Wandering @WOT is probably a seal/air leak....but could also be a carb in need of rebuilding. Hope you track it down.

Why does that one doughnut look like it's suspended in mid air?

Kevin
I will run a vac/pressure test on the case. I fully rebuilt that saw last year and it has only 15-20 tanks through it. Piston, bearings, crank, new seals/o-rings, fuel line, carb rebuilt and so forth. Tuning the H seemed problematic yesterday. I went from rich to lean less than 1/8 of a turn it seemed. I pressure tested the carb today and put it back together. It has very high pop-off pressure. But it does pop-off and re-seat.

The cookie just happened to be cut where the branch inserted into its width. Branch is holding it up in the air. Thought it was a cool shot and for a second when I was cutting, couldn't figure out why it was "floating" in the air. That dry log of lodgepole was cutting up fast.

I will run a vac/pressure test on the case. I fully rebuilt that saw last year and it has only 15-20 tanks through it. Piston, bearings, crank, new seals/o-rings, fuel line, carb rebuilt and so forth. Tuning the H seemed problematic yesterday. I went from rich to lean less than 1/8 of a turn it seemed. I pressure tested the carb today and put it back together. It has very high pop-off pressure. But it does pop-off and re-seat.

The cookie just happened to be cut where the branch inserted into its width. Branch is holding it up in the air. Thought it was a cool shot and for a second when I was cutting, couldn't figure out why it was "floating" in the air. That dry log of lodgepole was cutting up fast.

Funny on the cookie thing. Lodgepole pine is a dirty word to me......most of the death defying snags the Forest Service made me take were that.

Have you substituted a fresh plug in, or is that one fresh?

Kevin

Way back when I picked up a 525 and a 90 somewhat worse for wear. The 525 needed a piston and ring which was purchased and installed only to find out that the oiler didn't. So under the work bench it went as the oiler is inside the crank case and I didn't feel like pulling it apart again. Well today I tripped over it and thought give it a go. Started up OK not running great as I'd not done anything with the carb and then suddenly , drip drip oil! Yea! So this saw came to me with no B&C so found one that looked like it might fit (325) plus a chain. The chain plates are all wrong I think, even with only one plate on the chain will barely move. So I am looking for a pair of chain plates for a 525. The piston came from the Redbarn I think.

Now If I can only get the 90 to oil I'll be a happier man.

Way back when I picked up a 525 and a 90 somewhat worse for wear. The 525 needed a piston and ring which was purchased and installed only to find out that the oiler didn't. So under the work bench it went as the oiler is inside the crank case and I didn't feel like pulling it apart again. Well today I tripped over it and thought give it a go. Started up OK not running great as I'd not done anything with the carb and then suddenly , drip drip oil! Yea! So this saw came to me with no B&C so found one that looked like it might fit (325) plus a chain. The chain plates are all wrong I think, even with only one plate on the chain will barely move. So I am looking for a pair of chain plates for a 525. The piston came from the Redbarn I think.

Now If I can only get the 90 to oil I'll be a happier man.

Hey Lee,
I've never really let my old J'reds sit for really long periods of time.....wonder if the oil receeds somehow and cavitates a bit before starting again. The oiling system on the old silver tops/90 is pretty basic. Did you kit the oiler assmebly itslef with all new O-rings?

Just thinking out loud here....

Kevin

Finally got a 111S - I grabbed the one off eBay. May have overpaid for it, but I've been looking for one for months. Needs rear handle for sure, clutch cover, top cover, probably piston, maybe cylinder, etc. If you have parts or know of parts sources, please pm me.

Here's the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/122617484144

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Lee,
I've never really let my old J'reds sit for really long periods of time.....wonder if the oil receeds somehow and cavitates a bit before starting again. The oiling system on the old silver tops/90 is pretty basic. Did you kit the oiler assmebly itslef with all new O-rings?

Just thinking out loud here....

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Yes I put some new O rings on the oiler, maybe not exactly the correct size. The old ones were pretty worn so size a little hard to measure.

Newby error on the 525 bar plates, had the 1st one on backwards, LOL.

Finally got a 111S - I grabbed the one off eBay. May have overpaid for it, but I've been looking for one for months. Needs rear handle for sure, clutch cover, top cover, probably piston, maybe cylinder, etc. If you have parts or know of parts sources, please pm me.

Thanks,

Scott
Nice grab. I wondered who bought it as I saw it this morning after the auction was over. In my opinion you paid half what it's worth.

Congrats.

Hi Kevin,

Yes I put some new O rings on the oiler, maybe not exactly the correct size. The old ones were pretty worn so size a little hard to measure.

Newby error on the 525 bar plates, had the 1st one on backwards, LOL.

Yeah I was gonna suggest a plate was on backwards......but didn't wanna insult...lol.

Nice grab. I wondered who bought it as I saw it this morning after the auction was over. In my opinion you paid half what it's worth.

Congrats.

Prices on 111s' are artificially high anyway. Hard to wrap my head around incomplete saws with issues going for $350.

I guess that's gonna stay as the price of admission on eBay......lol

Kevin

Thanks,

Scott

That's the biggest problem with the 111s, parts are scarce to non-existent, Scott. Clutch cover and a top cover are gonna be tough.

I would suspect even in the Motherland parts are scarce.

Good luck!

Kevin

That's the biggest problem with the 111s, parts are scarce to non-existent, Scott. Clutch cover and a top cover are gonna be tough.

I would suspect even in the Motherland parts are scarce.

Good luck!

Kevin

Parts are even more scarce in the Motherland than they are in the states -- not much big timber in Sweden; I've been told that most of the big cc Jonsereds (exception being the early ones - XF, etc) were exported to the states. I was exceptionally lucky to find my J'red 80 here, have yet to see a 90 for sale, and the 111's are few and far between. Only one I've seen for sale here was a beat up saw with a few issues with an asking price of $950.

Anyway, this will likely be a long term project. At some point, I hope to end up with a few more of these, and hope to find a few good sources for parts, too. Might be something like the XF's - I stumbled across an incomplete one and spent weeks looking -- unsuccessfully -- for parts. Next thing you know, I have 10, and a bunch of spare parts, too...

Also working on reproducing some parts. I have a CAD file of the XF clutch cover; just need to find someone who will reproduce it for a reasonable price.

Scott

Parts are even more scarce in the Motherland than they are in the states -- not much big timber in Sweden; I've been told that most of the big cc Jonsereds (exception being the early ones - XF, etc) were exported to the states. I was exceptionally lucky to find my J'red 80 here, have yet to see a 90 for sale, and the 111's are few and far between. Only one I've seen for sale here was a beat up saw with a few issues with an asking price of $950.

Anyway, this will likely be a long term project. At some point, I hope to end up with a few more of these, and hope to find a few good sources for parts, too. Might be something like the XF's - I stumbled across an incomplete one and spent weeks looking -- unsuccessfully -- for parts. Next thing you know, I have 10, and a bunch of spare parts, too...

Also working on reproducing some parts. I have a CAD file of the XF clutch cover; just need to find someone who will reproduce it for a reasonable price.

Scott

It's true......due to the logging success of saws like the Husky 2100, big cc Swedisn saws were primarily sent to the PNW or to milling applications elsewhere.

Back in the day:cheers: they always told us that there weren't really big trees in Sweden and the big cc saws were mostly sent to the US. I've never heard anyone including Niko dispute that. And I've also speculated for yrs that there were numerous US contractors that fitted full-wrap handles on the saws coming into the PNW. I say this because I have several different styles of full wraps for the same saws. You almost never see full-wraps away from here, other than milling applications.

I think eventually, 3D printing will save a lot of hobby items from the brink of extinction. However to date, it's not exactly setting my world on fire....so a big MEH from me.
Kevin

It's true......due to the logging success of saws like the Husky 2100, big cc Swedisn saws were primarily sent to the PNW or to milling applications elsewhere.

Back in the day:cheers: they always told us that there weren't really big trees in Sweden and the big cc saws were mostly sent to the US. I've never heard anyone including Niko dispute that. And I've also speculated for yrs that there were numerous US contractors that fitted full-wrap handles on the saws coming into the PNW. I say this because I have several different styles of full wraps for the same saws. You almost never see full-wraps away from here, other than milling applications.

I think eventually, 3D printing will save a lot of hobby items from the brink of extinction. However to date, it's not exactly setting my world on fire....so a big MEH from me.
Kevin

What you're saying about big cc saws in Sweden is consistent with what I'm hearing. And when I do find the larger cc Jonsered saws in Sweden, I have yet to find one fitted with a bar longer than stock. Vast majority have the shortish roller tip original bar.

3D printing in plastic is fairly inexpensive, but it wouldn't result in a quality clutch cover. If you don't have one, I guess it would be better than nothing. We had intended to use 3D print in plastic just to see if the CAD file was accurate. 3D printing in metal will be expensive, of course. Best bet is probably old school casting using the lost wax process or something similar.

Thanks

Scott

Well, there's a miltary grade 3D printer that does something other than the metal 'layering' which is less than satifactory for strength and durability. Only the multimillion dollar military machine approaches old-school castings. Like I said, this whole process has YEARS yet to filter down to the common man in affordability and practicality. Again...meh.

Kevin

FYI - trying to close the deal on a vintage Jonsered Holy Grail saw...it's one that has eluded me so far, and this is the first one I've seen for sale. Wish me luck!

Closed the deal. It's a Jonsered XA diesel. Not a shelf queen, but complete. Will have it in a few weeks.

252603672_fcb79619-cd57-40f1-9058-a06d4dca435e-1.jpg

Boy.....it has been awhile since I have been on AS! Everything is different, but Niko is still here, so at least some things are the same. I am finally ready to start working on saws a little bit. I just bought a 670 Champ for $50 and pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday morning. I am looking forward to getting back into the Jonsered scene. I see Robin is still on here, too. I still have not dug into that 590 I got from you....but soon!

Latest posts

Back