Jonsered not running properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin coley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a jonsered cs2238 less than 10 months old. in those 10 months I only burned about 3 liters of gas, due to the saw being a hassle to use. from day one since started to use the chainsaw, it will start and run, for only a few mins,( 3-4 mins) then the motor will bog, until I loosen the gas cap, then she will be good again for another 3-4 mins. And when I open the gas cap, I always gets a sudden vacuum or a whoosh. And I can also feel it. With my hand. So I suspected a bad fuel tank vent. I knew the saw had warrenty left so I decided to get the service repair shop check it out, and I explained everything to them, it's been over a week now. And I still don't have my saw fixed. They called Me today, stating they have replaced the fuel vent, but the issue is still there, and they don't know what to try next. (I haven't seen the saw since I dropped it off to the dealer 100 kms away from me so I can't confirm the work done, I am just going from what they said.) what else can this issue be? I didn't expect it to be the carburator, because it idles great, and runs, seems like fuel starvation for sure, would it be faulty fuel diaphragm in the fuel pump from factory? Any ideas/suggestions to this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I can relay any useful information to the service dealer. I am getting impatient and just wants my saw back and obviously fixed.

When I had a bad gas cap on one of my saws that came in pieces and wouldn't start i tried a lot of carb adjustments and even took the muffler off thinking it was plugged and I was going to buy a new carburetor then I removed the gas cap as a last resort and it started. I got a new cap and had to re adjust the carb. The saw runs great now. Have you taken the carburetor apart? They have an idle needle and a running needle. Something could be blocking one of the needles. I'm not familiar with the jonsered but I have a husqvarna and 2 poulan saws which are all the same family. They have a fuel filter too.

Still sounds like a gas cap issue though if you loosen it and it keeps running I'd buy a new cap they are pretty cheap on ebay.

My one poulan was factory reconditioned and didn't run when I got it... took some carb adjusting.

My husqvarna came new with a bad oiler also.

Thanks for the input, and ya I checked the fuel filter, it's clear. And carb no, I haven't removed it or opened it up. My gas tank vent is built into the saw case under the carb, a small bronze plug and a duck bell vent. I still think that is the issue. My gas cap is just a solid cap. No vent or anything, I looked online to try find a vented gas cap to fit the saw but never had no luck. Hoping someone can chime in that may know of a vented cap to fit the jonsered cs2238

I also have a poulan pro 4220 it was a great saw. It gave me a few issue with the plastic tool less chain tensioner, never had any mechanical issue with motor or carb. Currently the carb needs some adjustments, because I was tinkering with it thought it needed to be adjusted but it was a blocked fuel filter and it needs new chain and bars. That's why I bought the jonsered. To retire the poulan. Lol

I bought the stihl cause I was tired of all the problems with the husqvarna/poulan line of saws and I like it way better but I have not used my husqvarna 450 since I put the adjustable oiler in it so hopefully it will work well for me again.

If they don't know what to do and cannot be bothered to write the local Jonsered distributor/field rep an email to ask what to try, I'd strongly suggest dropping Jonsered Canada an email to tell them your experience with their aftersales network.

Rest assured either your saw will be repaired or you'll be offered a new one or a buyback.

I just got a call from the service dealer that's working on the saw, they said they are working with jonsered and they are trying to isolate the issue. They believe it's an internal issue, mechanic said possible bad bearing. This does not sound like a bad bearing issue to me, I been doing mechanic work for years, and I cant see it being a bad bearing. Anybody out there can confirm this? ( bad bearing cause motor to bog and die after few mins, and remove gas cap then reinstall and saw will work best kind again with full power for another 3 mins?) bad bearings usually cause excessive noise, no start, lack of power, seizing when warm, running lean. I never had any of them symptoms.. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Even if it were a bad crankshaft bearing (an exceedingly remote possibility, but a possibility nonetheless), opening a chainsaw engine to check on said bearings is something I expect a small engine shop to be able to do without too much fuss.

Personally I think both Jonsered Canada and the shop are feeling like they are wasting their time on a homeowner saw but don't want to simply give you a brand new one.

Today, I spoke with the "mechanic" that's is looking at the saw. He said they are waiting for a leakdown tester from jonsered. He said the saw is suppose to build pressure in the tank. And the vent is not my issue. He also stated. The saw keeps building cyclinder compression. It goes up pass 210 he said, I asked what's a normal compression for this saw, he stated 120-130 psi. Is what it should be for a new saw. And he said the cyclinder looks scored up.. Don't make any sence to me. He also said that it may take a week to recieve the leakdown tester from jonsered. I am wondering if I should just go pick up the saw myself. And confirm if he replaced the fuel vent. Because it seems like I'm getting di*ked around.

Here's my take: since it's pretty obvious neither the shop nor Jonsered Canada are serious about giving you a working chainsaw in reasonable time, ask them to give you your money back and buy something from another brand.
What you are being told is a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo.

Yes. I'm gona recontact jonsered, tell them same thing the dealer told me, about the saw, and see what they are gona say. I'm giving the service dealer until Friday to have a solid understanding what to do. And if they don't have anwser or a method to solve the issue, I'm going to pick up the saw myself. (do the work on it myself)

Also to add to the note, jonsered will replace the saw if it's a manufacturing defect, but will not cover anything if it's a "fuel related issue." I don't know what they means by this. Maybe they are talking about 50:1 fuel/oil ratio? Incorrect fuel maybe!? Ie. Diesel? Kerosene? or maybe the carb settings. High and low fuel screws? I am just hoping they come to a conclusion before Friday... I usually does all my own mechanical work on engines 2 and 4 strokes. Gas and diesel engines. Been at it for 12 years never had a issue. It pisses me off when service mechanics di*ks me around talks like they knows what they are at, but in reality they have no clue.

Ok. Thanks mustang71, that's what I was thinking too. I always mixed it properly, and I had half a tank of gas in the saw when I dropped it off... I will let you guys know what happens when I hear somthing.

Just off the phone, they are still waiting for a leakdown tester. I asked if saw was together or in pieces. And it's all took apart they said. Unreal. I might just stop in there tomorrow. Pick up the saw.

I thought they were waiting for the emissary they sent to the Oracle of Delphi to come back with a reply.

It's these times you really wonder why you are paying an extra for a warranty...

Ok. I went and picked up the saw. Very disappointed when the mechanic passed it to me, he didn't even remove the fuel vent, so today I'm gona put the saw back together. (dealer had it striped down) and I'm going to drill a small hole in the fuel vent. I did do a Compression test, 200 psi exactly with 8 pulls throttle wide open. This is high, but I believe these new jonsered saws are between 180-210 psi. Maybe some one can confirm this. I hope I will resolve this issue myself.

Back