Just bought a Husqvarna 2100 CD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this an example of where the tillitson carb kit gasket does not work correctly and the husky carb gasket is needed to seal the impulse port properly?

Well it did it with the old gasket, did it with the Tillitson carb kit gasket and it did it last after I made a new gasket like the original. So I'm kinda lost right now. I know the general area
that is leaking but not what is actually leaking.

Well it did it with the old gasket, did it with the Tillitson carb kit gasket and it did it last after I made a new gasket like the original. So I'm kinda lost right now. I know the general area
that is leaking but not what is actually leaking.
Could be leaking through where the throttle shaft enters/exits the carb. It's old

Check the intake block(s) for cracks or warping. Have you determined what year it is? (Can't remember if you posted that info already.)

I look the intake block over and couldn't see any cracks. My brother in law has a spare though we are going to try this weekend. Don't know the year, tag is missing.

Check everything from the carb to the cylinder...and the intake port of the cylinder itself for any abnormalities or dings that may be problematic. OR, break down and buy a MityVac 8500 and eliminate the guesswork altogether!

View attachment 438710

I may just have to do that if I can't nail it down soon!

I ended up buying a few bits for my carb including a new throttle plate. DPO did his work to it....the locating washer and bits did not hold it that well and side thrust wore open the side of the plate. I could not throttle mine down either... minimum idle sounded like 4K.
I ended up swapping out carbs with my 298XP and the 2100CD runs good now. I've yet to actually use the refreshed one...and I still need a good return spring.

I ended up buying a few bits for my carb including a new throttle plate. DPO did his work to it....the locating washer and bits did not hold it that well and side thrust wore open the side of the plate. I could not throttle mine down either... minimum idle sounded like 4K.
I ended up swapping out carbs with my 298XP and the 2100CD runs good now. I've yet to actually use the refreshed one...and I still need a good return spring.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the throttle side of the carb tonight and see if it may be leaking there. It has to be that or the intake block is cracked somewhere and it's
just too small for me to see. Either way I'm confident I'll get it figured out this weekend.

If the throttle shaft bores are loose then it could have sucked enough of that carb cleaner you were spraying for the idle to drop like that. Of course, you'll never have a carb that doesn't pull at least a little vacuum past the throttle shaft (even when new), but it shouldn't be sloppy. If it is...........then that'll cause a wandering tune....

So the leak is right at the throttle on the carb. Sprayed a little carb clear right on that spot and it shut off. Any way to seal it up or do I need a new carb?

I've heard of replacing the shafts to fix it, but never have done it. I took a tiny rubber o ring and stretched it over the shafts and it worked on my 625, but it's probably short lived. Sellers are proud of carbs for the 625 so if it fails again, I'll replace the one ring. Yours may be more available

Correction...

'A' leak is at the throttle shaft on the carb. :) (Could still have another leak elsewhere.)

Pull the throttle shaft and see what's worn. May get away with just replacing the shaft, but my money is on the carb body which probably means another carb. A wrap of Teflon tape on the shaft may seal it enuff temporarily to obtain proper idle adjustment and ease your concerns about other leaks.....just thinkin' out loud...

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll pull the shaft and see and start looking for another carb just in case.

Got a different carb from a member here and it wasn't the fix. Still won't idle down to the right spot. So I sprayed carb cleaner again right in the area where the carb meets the intake
and it shut down. Not sure what to do. Replaced intake, carb, made new gaskets for everything and still leaking somewhere in that area. Maybe I need to check the cylinder gasket again?

Back