Just bought, first XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonil76

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have tried to find Husqvarna pro saw for some time. Couple of nice ones I have missed due to be too slow..

But now I manage to buy one: 346XPG w/ heated carb. I don't really need heaters, but I think it doesn't matter, only 100 grams more weight I think. Seller said heaters not working. I have to inspect some what is the problem.

346-1.jpg

Bit dirty as they usually are.

I did some clean up and this is the result.

346-2.jpg

Saw in from year 2004 and not very much used I think. Original piston and ring still inside.

Did compression test too, 160 psi.

I took off the muffler, some marks are visble in piston, but doesn't seem deep. I quess piston is still useable.

346-4.jpg

Saw has no limited coil or limted carburetor. Plastic inlet clamp it has and I allready ordered metal one.

I think it is just great saw for 210€ which is something like 240$.

I'll "second" the other comments about the piston. Seems a like a little more just normal scoring. It'll take only a few minutes to pull the cylinder and inspect everything. Might have some transfer on te exhaust side. Could of been lean on oil or poor quality oil. Might just need a new ring and the transfer taken off the cylinder wall worst case...

I bought some Stihl chainsaw cleaner. It did the job.

I get metal clamp next week and not going to run saw before its changed.. Muffler bolts were tight. Propably I could take cylinder out.

What is normal or "good" compression for this saw?

I'd definitely pull the jug and have a look. You may even be able to lightly sand on the piston and jug and not have to buy anything new. Been there and done it. It works and is worth the effort.

When you mentioned the limiters removed that and the piston looks like it does that is your first clue on it running lean.

Attachments

• PISTON FAILURE DOC.pdf
    195.5 KB · Views: 20
I think limiters were not removed. This is just non-EPA model without limiters. I think all bad is done due to loose plastic clamp. I'll take cylinder out someday.
Propably I could buy and put new Meteor piston in. Its on sale in Greece anyway... OEM piston I just can't afford.

By the way. Do any ofyou know,how to remove heater switch from front handle?

Seem to be very tight and I don't like to broke it.

One of the best saws made. I'd also have a look inside the jug and likely install a new meteor piston... 160 psi is about normal on these.

After some research I must say I was lucky finding propably the best version of 346 oe. Older models have walbro HDA 159 carb which I have heard being not as good as Zama C3 installed in 2004 model. And 2005 model has limited EPA carb.

Nice saw. +5 on replacing piston and ring with meteor. Clean up cylinder and know its right. Cheap fix now compared to a cylinder later.

I took cylinder off. Some marks of scoring, but cylinder doesn't seem bad. Lot of karsta (i just don't know english word for that, residue?) Piston and ring seem worn, I think I put meteor in.

Couple of pictures

sylinteri.jpg

piston.jpg

Marks on cylinder can't feel by finger, seem just cosmetic.

Good score (haha) and nice cleaning job:cheers:

Most guys around here prefer the walbro, but that free advice is worth what you paid for it. If shipping were not an issue I would swap carbs with you.

keep us posted and enjoy
-dave

I have walbro 159 in my 350, if I wanted to swap..

I think both do the job. At least they don't have those annoying limiters.

I found out that impulse hose was totally cracked an must have been leaking. And intake clamp was very loose too.

I hope crank seals are ok, since I don't want to replace them now.. I hope this saw haven't eaten lot of gasoline that has alcohol. I guess that s**t kills these machines. I only use alkyd fuel made for small engines. Best for saw, best for operator.

Did some cleaning while waiting parts to arrive.

Not superb job, but biggest dirt gone.

osat.jpg

Since I don't have own place to wash, I had to go DIY carwash.

Meteor is on its way and I hope local saw shop manage to get partition wall and clamp to me soon.I just wonder how is it possible they don't have them in shelf all the time...

Back