Just bought, first XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some cleaning while waiting parts to arrive.

Not superb job, but biggest dirt gone.

View attachment 408539

Since I don't have own place to wash, I had to go DIY carwash.

Meteor is on its way and I hope local saw shop manage to get partition wall and clamp to me soon.I just wonder how is it possible they don't have them in shelf all the time...

Siemen ja Kone in Vantaa?

Yes, just that.

They're pretty helpful guys. Always carry spares for saws they know they've sold in recent years in my experience and quick enough to get parts in from husky when needed.

If you want any parts cleaned up before reassembly, I can put them in an ultrasonic cleaner for you this Saturday. Send me a PM if you want.

Thanks for offer. I inspect parts tomorrow when they have dried, if they need more cleanin. I think they are clean enough to put together.

Got my meteor.

For some reason is came with circlips like this:
meteor.jpg

They seem to be at least very hard to put to piston. Previous meteor has different circlips that was able to press with pliers.

Got my meteor.

For some reason is came with circlips like this:
View attachment 410562

They seem to be at least very hard to put to piston. Previous meteor has different circlips that was able to press with pliers.
It can be a little tricky pitting those kind in if your not use to it. Just need to start one end into the clip slot and roll it in. I haven't found a better way to put them in, I just use my fingers. Put one clip in before you put the piston on the rod so your not fighting with both clips while on the saw. If the wrist pin is a tight fit you can put the pin in the freezer for a couple of hours or over night and heat the piston to 3-400*F right be fore assembly, they will slide right in. I havet found any saws that are that tight though, only my snowmobile.

Make sure you get that aluminum "transfer" off the cylinder walls. All it is, is aluminum from the piston that has been transferred to the cylinder walls hence why we call it "transfer". If you don't remove that before running your new piston and rings you will have problems getting the ring to seal. Here's a link and video about removing transfer. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/how-to-remove-aluminum-transfer-without-acid.248325/

Not sure of your mechanical experience, wasn't trying to insult you if you already knew some of this...

I use the the oem circle clips off the original piston.
Each to their own. Some times they are different diameter wire and other times they are the same. I've also heard about the "ears" breaking off the ends of the clips and destroying p/c. I prefer not having the ears on the clips, one less thing to worry about.

Yes and also lots of bad reports about AM clips.
I have more experience with snowmobile AM pistons and clips and haven't found any issues with them. Little to no experience with saw clips. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to it honestly.

I have only used the clips with ears and like how they install. Would use either at this point as I have not had any problems and hope I dont.

But now I manage to buy one: 346XPG w/ heated carb. I don't really need heaters, but I think it doesn't matter, only 100 grams more weight I think. Seller said heaters not working. I have to inspect some what is the problem.

Being in Finland, you definately want at least the handle heating to work. ;)

Not sure of your mechanical experience, wasn't trying to insult you if you already knew some of this...

Since I am newbie with these I gladly take any hint and advice. This is my second rebuild . First was my 350 with lot of trial and some errors... Now it's working fine so I think I have learned something.

I put question to seller. We see what is the answer. I also browsed eBay a little and saw that some meteor kits have clips without ears and some have them. My previous meteor kit for 350 had these ears and was easy to install

I'll "second" the other comments about the piston. Seems a like a little more just normal scoring. It'll take only a few minutes to pull the cylinder and inspect everything. Might have some transfer on te exhaust side. Could of been lean on oil or poor quality oil. Might just need a new ring and the transfer taken off the cylinder wall worst case...
A lean carb setting is another likely cause for the scoring.

Being in Finland, you definately want at least the handle heating to work. ;)

Usually that is true,but last two winters have been very warm...

But I would like to get heater to work. I know nor that front handle heater is the problem, infinite resistance. Too bad that the problem is under handle rubber and can't be analysed or fixed without breaking the rubber.

I actually ordered some heat shrink rubber tube. If it is useable and not look too bad I propably try to fix the heater. Unless I found working one for cheap.

I took cylinder off. Some marks of scoring, but cylinder doesn't seem bad. Lot of karsta (i just don't know english word for that, residue?) ....

Carbon.

Hopefully you ordered the 42 mm piston kit for the 45cc 346, not the 44.3mm one for the later 50cc ones.

Replace the plastic intake clamp set up while you have it tore down.

My OE 346 ported one that had 199 carb. Only seen a couple ported NE 50cc that could beat it in the cut. ;)

Lives in the land of Oz now.

Copyof346xpg262xp001.jpg

Succeeded! Little blood from finger but clips went to their place. I don't think they get loose by themself. Very stiff clips.

Metal intake clamp installed as well. Didn't put any gasket maker to base gasket this time. I hope plain gasket is enough.

And all the job is done at bathroom floor..

Image2.jpg

Latest posts

Back