Just had to laugh at her.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My daughter lives in Wisconsin and I think there is some thing in the water there. She sent me an E mail the other day cussing the above normal temps in Wisconsin. I just had to chuckle as she doesn't heat with wood and I flat refuse to visit her from mid October to mid May. Her house is so darn cold in the winter she could rent it as a cold storage locker.
I told her to stop gripping as she should be happy with all the money she has saved in heating cost and medical cost from her kids half freezing and getting sick every winter.

I love my nice rounded 75F temps in the house and as far as I am concerned you can take summer heat and shove it to where the sun can't shine.

What has me gripping this November is the high winds. Sure is wrecking havoc in the woods with all the blow downs and broken limbs.

:D Al

I just had to chuckle as she doesn't heat with wood and I flat refuse to visit her from mid October to mid May. Her house is so darn cold in the winter she could rent it as a cold storage locker.
I have 5 sisters with house temps like that. I can go out and work in the snow in a T Shirt but I want my house "Wood heat Warm"
I catch A Sawmiller friend of mine backing up to the inside wood furnace on the back porch where the hang out is - the front is 1 layer of steel so that is mainly radiant heat from there. At times the fire "AIN'T" but he is of the optimistic old school generation with ingrained habits.

Some people laughed at me when i put an owb in, since I have geothermal heat. The house is set at 73 warm degrees, not that cold air blowing 68 we used to keep the place. Besides that who wants to be beholden to the electric company. Not me.

My daughter lives in Wisconsin and I think there is some thing in the water there. She sent me an E mail the other day cussing the above normal temps in Wisconsin. I just had to chuckle as she doesn't heat with wood and I flat refuse to visit her from mid October to mid May. Her house is so darn cold in the winter she could rent it as a cold storage locker.
I told her to stop gripping as she should be happy with all the money she has saved in heating cost and medical cost from her kids half freezing and getting sick every winter.

I love my nice rounded 75F temps in the house and as far as I am concerned you can take summer heat and shove it to where the sun can't shine.

What has me gripping this November is the high winds. Sure is wrecking havoc in the woods with all the blow downs and broken limbs.

:D Al
I just returned from Oconomowoc Wisconsin. Beautiful weather (warm for Nov.16-19) very nice people and lots of beer choices. Got going before the first snow.
Now the snow caught up to me. Still nice, 34F.Outside , 77F inside Burning White Oak and Hard Maple.

I'm from wi. Every one I know sets it at 68-69 if your burning gas. 65 if your not home or sleeping

Years back when I burned fuel oil I kept my thermostat right at 68 and it seemed like I was always froze when I left I turned it down even lower , and my lower level was barely heated . Today I have to scratch my head and wonder why I went so long without wood heat . I was always uncomfortable and if I did crank it up I knew I'd pay dearly at the end of the month . Thank God. Those days are over. Never again !

We keep the house at 70°-71° during the day... 65°-67° at night... the wind always blows here.
75° is just to damn warm... 80° is a sauna.
Outside it's 17°, winds are relatively calm out'a the northwest 12-15 MPH... a very nice and comfortable 71° in the house.
I ain't tossed any wood in the firebox since 7:30 this morning... probably won't even check it until after dark.
I hate winter... I'm a winter bigot... but I love my smoke-dragon wood furnace, it runs itself.

We keep the house at 70°-71° during the day... 65°-67° at night... the wind always blows here.
75° is just to damn warm... 80° is a sauna.
Outside it's 17°, winds are relatively calm out'a the northwest 12-15 MPH... a very nice and comfortable 71° in the house.
I ain't tossed any wood in the firebox since 7:30 this morning... probably won't even check it until after dark.
I hate winter... I'm a winter bigot... but I love my smoke-dragon wood furnace, it runs itself.

My football # in jr. high was 71, so because I'm weird with #'s that's what it was always set at. I bought too big of a stove and now have to suffer the high 70's and sometimes 80's. You know you heat your house with wood when your windows are open more in the winter than any other season of the year. Bedroom's are always a bit cooler though which is nice.

You know you heat your house with wood when your windows are open more in the winter than any other season of the year. Bedroom's are always a bit cooler though which is nice.

65, 68, 70, 75, no way. We like warm, 78-80 once the wood burner fires up which will probably be tomorrow. We entertain a lot over the holidays so when our friends and family come over the windows go open, our chihuahua is freezing and our golden retriever rests easier inside. When they leave the smoke rolls and I once again melt into the lazy-boy. LOL.

Low 70's is ideal for us. Unfortunately, the pocketbook says "mid 80's in the summer" and "low 60's in the winter." Well, some parts of the house get downright chilly. Big drafty uninsulated victorian, but I wouldn't trade it for one of your boring modern houses.

199529_1009457641817_3250_n.jpg

Wood heat is not free heat.
Back in 2001 when I installed my wood heater, It cost me around $1,200.00 to put the heater in.
Then I spent $1,100.00 on a splitter and $2,000.00 in saws.
Factor in time and money to cut split haul wood, and it's not at all free.
Thats $4,300 in equipment plus time.
If I spent that time working overtime at work, I could easily make more money then I save on fuel bills.
However, cutting and splitting wood is something I can do in the summer in my spare time.
Hauling wood is where the biggest cost is for me. Wood is heavy and fuel is expensive.
It's also a managed heat, being that I have to constantly feed the heater and regulate the heat.
It's not like setting a thermostat and forgetting it.
I do love my wood heater and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Unfortunately, the pocketbook says "mid 80's in the summer" and "low 60's in the winter."
OK, I get the summer temp...but why the 60s temp in the winter?! Throw some wood in the stove ya ole skin flint tree trimmer you! :buttkick:
Heck, I wouldn't think it would take much more than a candle to heat the place what with all those bodys giving off heat to the house! :surprised3:

If I'm sitting around in the house reading, I like it around 70ish. If I'm up and doing housework 60 something is good. It is all about what clothing one has on and their physical activity level.

This seems to be a conflict between men who are sitting in recliners wearing summer clothing during winter, and women who are working at house things at the same time. I watched my mom sweat away while my dad with t-shirt on was watching football and know couples who are at odds about the temps. Not my problem. I can open windows without anybody complaining even when I'm playing my fiddle.

And, I love my boring, modern house.

It can be extremely difficult in the workplace when your job requires you to spend a bit of time in the office. You go to work dressed for the outdoors and end up sweating away while making phone calls because co-workers who are office workers have on shorts and flip flops and have to keep the thermostat up accordingly. Luckily, I also had my own space and could close the door and open a window.

It's also a managed heat, being that I have to constantly feed the heater and regulate the heat.
It's not like setting a thermostat and forgetting it.

Ummmm........Ya..............For some of us is in fact that easy. Set the thermostat to the desired temp and let the OWB provide heat as needed.

Ummmm........Ya..............For some of us is in fact that easy. Set the thermostat to the desired temp and let the OWB provide heat as needed.

No thermostat on my wood stove. It wouldn't make a difference anyway.
Best I can do is get get a good fire going and dampen it down after it gets going.

...when I installed my wood heater, It cost me around $1,200.00...
...spent $1,100.00 on a splitter and $2,000.00 in saws. ... Thats $4,300 in equipment plus time.
It's also a managed heat... It's not like setting a thermostat and forgetting it.
WOW‼
I didn't spend near $1200.00 on the last three wood heaters I've installed combined... maybe around $300 on the saw back in '92... the splitter dad bought back in the late 70s', maybe early 80s for not much more than my saw.
And in all seriousness... other than tossin' wood in the box twice a day (sometimes three) and emptying the ash pan a couple times a week... it is as easy as setting the thermostat and forgetting it.
(Oh... I change the furnace filter once a month.)

We like it hot at mid 70's to about 80 . I've gotten to where I'm not stingy anymore on throwing a few extra splits in the firebox to accomplish that . I work hard cutting splitting stacking and I'll be darned if after all that work I gotta settle on only being at 70 to conserve wood and kids in full fleece clothing or wrapped in blankets ! I got a high end wood burner and invested all this time and money for a reason and that reason is to be comfortable to my liking regardless of what's happening outside ! So I run her hot

We like it hot at mid 70's to about 80 . I've gotten to where I'm not stingy anymore on throwing a few extra splits in the firebox to accomplish that . I work hard cutting splitting stacking and I'll be darned if after all that work I gotta settle on only being at 70 to conserve wood and kids in full fleece clothing or wrapped in blankets ! I got a high end wood burner and invested all this time and money for a reason and that reason is to be comfortable to my liking regardless of what's happening outside ! So I run her hot

Firewood, the fuel that warms you twice. Once when you cut it and once when you burn it.

Latest posts

Back