Just had to laugh at her.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said you can take summer and shove it where the sun will never shine. I fall my trees in the winter if they haven't been blown down by the wind already (heat # 1) I then chunk them up (heat #2) and they stay there till the fall then they are loaded in the trailer or wagon (heat # 3) brought to the house and split (heat # 4) then brought into the house a weeks worth at a time (heat # 5) Ashes are removed about every 4 days depending on how cold it is out side (heat # 6).
I enjoy doing the wood I burn I am sure even with gasoline over $2.00 a gallon it is still cheaper heat than Electric forced air. No I don't set a thermostat and for get it and neither do those who heat with Propane, Natural gas fuel oil or electric that I know. they are conestely turning the heat up and down to save money. Some have spend a good amount of money for programmable thermostats too. I do the same by opening and closing the furnaces draft and adjusting the damper.

:D Al

I was one of those people who turned down the heat in the 1980s to around 68F in winter and got griped at by the wife and kids. Now I can't get the house above 65F in winter without hearing about it from that self same wife.

Wood heat is not free heat.
Back in 2001 when I installed my wood heater, It cost me around $1,200.00 to put the heater in.
Then I spent $1,100.00 on a splitter and $2,000.00 in saws.
Factor in time and money to cut split haul wood, and it's not at all free.
Thats $4,300 in equipment plus time.
If I spent that time working overtime at work, I could easily make more money then I save on fuel bills.
However, cutting and splitting wood is something I can do in the summer in my spare time.
Hauling wood is where the biggest cost is for me. Wood is heavy and fuel is expensive.
It's also a managed heat, being that I have to constantly feed the heater and regulate the heat.
It's not like setting a thermostat and forgetting it.
I do love my wood heater and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree totally. I smile at people who see me around town scrounging firewood when they say," are you looking for free firewood"
I always reply,"Well, it's hardly free. My trailers, saws, splitter and axes, gas oil, tires, chains, time and of course, my back....is not free."

My equipment is less than most of you, but I still have thousands invested in wood heating equipment.
I do it to be self sufficient, save some money(rather than give it over to the electric company) and I enjoy cutting my own wood.
And there's nothing like the feeling of wood heat and doing it all myself.

Remember well the big push to conserve energy in the late 70's, so like good little lemons we turned down the heat and froze. Then we get a kick in the face from the utility- we are going to to raise rates because everyone saved enough that we can't pay our investors there guaranteed returns. That p.....d me off to no extent- still extremely irritated by the rationals used by the utility companies. So my wood heating is my way of telling them to shove it where the sun don't shine. They keep swapping out the sending unit on the gas meter- I just laugh. Course now they don't raise the actual power cost just all the incidentals. Those meter rental and transportation costs are twice or more that of the cost of the actual amount used.

Low 70's is ideal for us. Unfortunately, the pocketbook says "mid 80's in the summer" and "low 60's in the winter." Well, some parts of the house get downright chilly. Big drafty uninsulated victorian, but I wouldn't trade it for one of your boring modern houses.

199529_1009457641817_3250_n.jpg
uninsulated????? why???

I agree totally. I smile at people who see me around town scrounging firewood when they say," are you looking for free firewood"
I always reply,"Well, it's hardly free. My trailers, saws, splitter and axes, gas oil, tires, chains, time and of course, my back....is not free."

My equipment is less than most of you, but I still have thousands invested in wood heating equipment.
I do it to be self sufficient, save some money(rather than give it over to the electric company) and I enjoy cutting my own wood.
Exactly! how I think.

Remember well the big push to conserve energy in the late 70's, so like good little lemons we turned down the heat and froze. Then we get a kick in the face from the utility- we are going to to raise rates because everyone saved enough that we can't pay our investors there guaranteed returns. That p.....d me off to no extent- still extremely irritated by the rationals used by the utility companies. So my wood heating is my way of telling them to shove it where the sun don't shine. They keep swapping out the sending unit on the gas meter- I just laugh. Course now they don't raise the actual power cost just all the incidentals. Those meter rental and transportation costs are twice or more that of the cost of the actual amount used.
this year,,has caused me to go over what it would cost to convert the furnace, and hot water heater, and the cook stove is just reset the burners, to propain,,as the cost for it is at near record low prices...I didn't do it,,but may next year, as you don't have them BS gas co added costs, which we never had on the bill years ago...gas cos of all types are ripping the American public bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's 40 bucks a month in "fees and taxes" just to have power here before you even use your first watt. When I first had a house it was like 36 bucks a month all in. Slight amount of gouging if you ask me.

uninsulated????? why???

That's the way they built them back in the day.

Sure, I could bore holes and put some in (or hire a company to do it), but that process isn't all it's cracked up to be - the insulation settles, doesn't fill the corners, and 90% insulated is 'uninsulated' anyway.

Sure, I could bore holes and put some in (or hire a company to do it), but that process isn't all it's cracked up to be - the insulation settles, doesn't fill the corners, and 90% insulated is 'uninsulated' anyway.
when I blew cellous,[ground paper] in my house,,because of plaster and lathe, I turned the pressure up a bit. an in 15 yrs, its never settled...I don't know who you've talked to, but blowing insulation in now,,is a bit different than years ago.. better machines...and sir..90%, aint uninsulated!! youd be surprised, If you did end up with 90%[I dont see how], you wouldn't believe the difference....and blow the attic 24 inches deep......

It's 40 bucks a month in "fees and taxes" just to have power here before you even use your first watt. When I first had a house it was like 36 bucks a month all in. Slight amount of gouging if you ask me.
gots to support all the execs,,yah know... they need their caviar, rolls, town houses, etc..they are parched..............:dizzy::dizzy:

Check this out http://www.icynene.com/en-ca
This is I want to use in my old house.

Yes ground paper works great been using it instead of fiberglass for years. Wind( not really the correct term but it will do) doesn't blow through it like fiberglass. It does settle some but so does fiberglass, less expensive than foam and is treated to keep out rodents and the like ( them critters love foam they even find fiberglass cozy) Fiberglass loses R value as the temps drop due to thermals passing through it - cellulous doesn't . looked at foam many times - cost has been the down side and if the contractor doesn't get it mixed just right .......... ? Temps come into play when installing in a retro fit . For me either way requires boring holes in inside walls as external is all brick. Pulling the window trim and using those low exspanion foam cans to seal the framing up can do wonders all by itself.

A few years ago my brother had some serious health issues and had spent over a month in the hospital and then had to spend several months with me before he could go back home.
Like me he has a smart meter. The electric company came out 4/5 times to check his meter because they could tell no one was using electricity. I think they though he had rigged his meter to get free electricity.
I kept telling them he wasn't living there, but they kept coming out to check.

Well said.
If I live in the country on a few wooded acres, and I will and I am then I will have a truck, tractor, trailer, chainsaw, and accessaries for each. Woods routinely suffer from storms, disease, invasive species, etc. I make brush piles with the tops and the rest makes firewood. I can't get it all here but surrounding property owners have similar interests. I like it so I can easily say "it is a hobby that heats my home". Don't count out the exercise for us may be more beneficial than loungeing on upholstered funiture. Those climbing electric and gas bills, we ain't seen nothing yet.

Back