Just had to laugh at her.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the way they built them back in the day.

Sure, I could bore holes and put some in (or hire a company to do it), but that process isn't all it's cracked up to be - the insulation settles, doesn't fill the corners, and 90% insulated is 'uninsulated' anyway.
A good insulation company will find the leaks an stop them .

I work outside everyday an done it for almost 30 years . An cut firewood since 81, in the 70 es I was cold in the winter back then . What I learned if your cold take your coat off if your hands an feet never warm up find a bucket of ice water or go barefoot in snow . In the summer feeling hot ! find some place hotter . We are mammals with mechanism that needs stress to work right . When these big heating an cooling machines are not stressed . We pay for it with are health big time . I was born in 60 growing up no one had allergies never heard anything about it , everybody could eat peanuts an very few was obese . With every one being in climate control an thinking they were comfortable ,Then we got very uncomfortable, a immune system that no longer works . A metabolism that only produces fuel an no fire . Now you can laugh . But I would comfortable in a 60 or 90 degree house with a immune that is bullet proof .

No one had alergies? WRONG. I spent Christmas in the Hospital when I was 5 years old, almost died- Alergic reaction to Hazel nut ( Filberts to some of you) flavoring. That particular nut is the same as cyanide for me and any other type of nut that is not a tuber is almost as bad. Fast forward about 5 years and I was experiencing different problems - peanuts and derivatives of them while not as bad as the other nuts it was extremely painful. My skin would become hard and split open. More than ten years before you were born Aokpops. My younger years were spent on the farm it was cold then and still cold now and yes if you lounge around ya get cold but there were/are times even busting your butt it is still COLD. I been splitting wood since I was old enough to pick up a hatchet. Somewhere around the time you were born is when we got that wondrous electric power at the farm. Mostly to operate the new milk equipment demanded by the city slickers.

I was born in 60 growing up no one had allergies never heard anything about it , everybody could eat peanuts an very few was obese.
That's ridiculous.
I was born in '58... grew up in the 60s... you must'a grown up in an alternate universe from the one I did. I fought hay fever, asthma, and allergies until my teens... so did my siblings. My mother, born in '36, still suffers dreadfully from allergies. Her brother, born in '28 cannot eat nuts. And I remember plenty of "fat chicks" also... plenty of fat boys that couldn't climb the rope in gym class. Heck, the 60's was the hay-day of soda pop, ice cream, penny candy, carry out pizza, fast food, frozen dinners... and nobody walked anywhere to get the stuff, you even ate in your car at drive-in restaurants. McDonald's was founded in 1955... there was an A&W, a Baskin-Robbins, a Pizza Hut, and a Dairy Queen in every little town.

We tend to remember things the way we think they were... not the way they actually were.

No one had alergies? WRONG. I spent Christmas in the Hospital when I was 5 years old, almost died- Alergic reaction to Hazel nut ( Filberts to some of you) flavoring. That particular nut is the same as cyanide for me and any other type of nut that is not a tuber is almost as bad. Fast forward about 5 years and I was experiencing different problems - peanuts and derivatives of them while not as bad as the other nuts it was extremely painful. My skin would become hard and split open. More than ten years before you were born Aokpops. My younger years were spent on the farm it was cold then and still cold now and yes if you lounge around ya get cold but there were/are times even busting your butt it is still COLD. I been splitting wood since I was old enough to pick up a hatchet. Somewhere around the time you were born is when we got that wondrous electric power at the farm. Mostly to operate the new milk equipment demanded by the city slickers.
pops goes of on extremitys nearly every day...ignore works.....

Filbert allergy here too.

Allergies were definitely still around back when. These days we have more food allergies thanks to all of the gmo garbage we are fed. Also these days there are many hypochondriacs who read too much "expert advice" on the Internet.

Allergies have always been around, but today they have ways to tell if you have one or detect an allergy, back then they didn't. But the doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Hell i took a PB&J to school everyday for lunch. The other night we went to the school for my son and daughter parent/teacher conferences and there are signs posted ALL over....NO PEANUTS OR TREE NUTS ALLOWED WE HAVE ALLERGIC STUDENTS.

I went to a very small school an no one even mention allergies ,I didn't even know about them until about 20 years old, had to help get a pass out guy out of the barn . I started to get allergies about age 46 . Took the pills for about 3 years an then stop . My nose has never been plug in the last 4 years . From what I know it should work for everyone . I wrote a few places about what I do . Two things I got insulted an banned . They will not try it test it or have any part of it . Just sharing a way to be happy healthy an strong .

nothing like a warm coal fire in the garage to thaw my feet. im going to get hanged here for burning coal. :laugh:
here is a picture of the cozy fire.
coal fire.jpg

nothing like a warm coal fire in the garage to thaw my feet. im going to get hanged here for burning coal. :laugh:
here is a picture of the cozy fire.
View attachment 464953
Nothing wrong with coal- just that I would have to buy it- wood free- except for the obvious equipment and labor- but that is generally a one time shot ( except CAD of course). Equipment & stove long since paid for by what would have been paid to a utility. One season will pay for a brand new $1200 saw with change to spare or a couple seasons for a new Fancy stove instead of the utility NC30 ( 30 works fine & I don't have a significant other to answer to )
If I were to change stoves likely a BK Princess, only because the King needs 8" flue. I will let the dust settle on the rest of them. If to a Wood furnace- Kuma, but it has be totally DC power driven including blowers as then I could keep it off grid.

Back