Just joined

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Gillett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just joined up and have been reading lots of post. I have 5 large oaks 32" by 10' long that I need to trim so it
will fit a Norwood sawmill. Been looking at the chainsaw mills and have decided to buy a 42" unit to give me
lots of room. I know what size saw and bar I need but not sure about the chain. Have been reading about the
type of chain most are using. What I need to know is would it be best to find a sharping service that could
sharpen my chains to a ripping chain? Would a skip tooth chisel chain be the one I need ? Hope this weather
will improve so I can get started on them.

Lester

Welcome to the site Lester, I won't be of much help on the milling project, but will be watching and learning with you. KZ

You're not the only one watching & listening. If it helps, Bailey's has a really good price on 100' reels of WoodlandPro 3/8" ripping chain. Yeah, thinking big here, anticipating use of a bit of that chain, as also some buds. Being in such good shape for firewood supply, and being in possession of a new 576 Husqy, finding "higher and better" use of logs seemed a no-brainer. Yes, there are lots of big logs waiting out there for the snow to leave. So many fun things to learn! Such a great resource here! :yes:

One focus of my attention right now is the grinding angles to use on that ripping chain. To be reflected of course in the setup for filing those chains. Mine at least; some others easily find debris, so they'd see the grinder.

On their website, Bailey's sez about this 30RP chain: "The top plate of the semi-chisel cutter is ground at a 10 degree angle, while the side plate is ground at a 75 degree angle." The 10 degree part sounds reasonable, but 75 degrees elevated from horizontal sounds really blunt. Given that typical crosscut chain is ground at 55-60 degrees, I could see how some spec 40-50 degrees. Clues most welcome. :bowdown:

I may have it wrong, but it sounds more like the side angle is the vertical part of the tooth being filed at a sharper angle from front to rear of the tooth? The tilt of the grinder or arc of the file would be normal 50ish.

I may have it wrong, but it sounds more like the side angle is the vertical part of the tooth being filed at a sharper angle from front to rear of the tooth? The tilt of the grinder or arc of the file would be normal 50ish.

I've seen, from many, the "normal" grinding angles for crosscutting chains given as 60/30, meaning that the wheel is inclined 60 deg. from the horizontal, and the chain-vise is rotated 30 deg. from perpendiculat to the plane of the wheel.

Thus, a 50 degree tilt would make the cutters a bit acute (and thus delicate) for crosscutting, and 75 degrees would make them bludgeons, as best I can tell. IOW that would have them only 15 deg off of being literally bludgeons. Maybe someone can resolve this, and educate us. Cheers. :cheers:

Thanks every one for the reply. I got a grinder to sharpen my chains and it had a fixed angle tilt, not sure what angle it is. I can change the angle for the
plane of the wheel. I have a Homelite 330 saw with a 24" blade and I think this will work for the size of logs I have. I also have a lumber maker I can
cut the sides of the log so it will fit the Norwood mill. I am going to cut one of the logs later in April and will be making a movie of it to show.

Lester

Another Norwood owner! Welcome! Which Independence are you from? I'm in southwest MO, so we might be neighbors. Drop me a line if you're down this way.

The Homelite 330 is 54 ccs, so yes, a full skip chain would be a good idea for a 24" blade. If you go with the 42" mill, you'll definitely want an 80 cc or bigger saw. I use a round filed chisel chain, but have to keep it sharp. Tooth angle is 10 degrees (almost straight across) for milling, which works for me. I just use a round file & guide so I can sharpen the chains on the saw. I've quartered oak logs up to 44" diameter to get them onto my HD36. You can get some nice quartersawn lumber that way. Saw: Husq 2100, bar: 32".

Just joined up and have been reading lots of post. I have 5 large oaks 32" by 10' long that I need to trim so it
will fit a Norwood sawmill. Been looking at the chainsaw mills and have decided to buy a 42" unit to give me
lots of room. I know what size saw and bar I need but not sure about the chain. Have been reading about the
type of chain most are using. What I need to know is would it be best to find a sharping service that could
sharpen my chains to a ripping chain? Would a skip tooth chisel chain be the one I need ? Hope this weather
will improve so I can get started on them.

Lester

Hi Lester,

If you are just trimming the log to fit on your mill standard skiptooth chain should work just fine. Ripping chain cuts a bit slower but leaves a smoother finish.

What Norwood mill do you have? I have a LM2000 and I've sawn more than a few 32" logs...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Big logs are a LOT of work!

SR

What Norwood mill do you have? I have a LM2000 and I've sawn more than a few 32" logs...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Big logs are a LOT of work!

SR
Sawyer rob we have a Norwood mark 4. It will only take a 26" log and have milled some 30". The widest we can cut is 18" so I will cut those logs
down on the sides to fit our mill.
Lester

I had an older Lumbermate for 9 years before I bought my 2000, it was a pretty good mill and I milled a lot of lumber with it. The 2000 is a big step up though, if you get a chance to try one out, you should give it a go as they can be bought used and sometimes for a fairly decent price. They are quite a bit stiffer and will mill bigger logs...

On over size logs, I would just free hand the sides a bit and mill them!

Thanks for answering...

SR

Back