Justify a Bucket Truck Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleabhart

Reaction score
I manage a tree business with 3 crews. We've been in business for seven years and continue to grow. I'm trying to justify the purchase of a bucket truck to the owner. Is anyone aware of a spreadsheet available that I could use to prove that purchasing a bucket trruck would increase our profit?

I manage a tree business with 3 crews. We've been in business for seven years and continue to grow. I'm trying to justify the purchase of a bucket truck to the owner. Is anyone aware of a spreadsheet available that I could use to prove that purchasing a bucket trruck would increase our profit?

Now I have heard it all. I think some of you guys make this stuff up to get a rise out of people.

I guess you didn't understand what I was looking for. I was hoping to find a spreadsheet or program that would justify the ROI on an investment such as a bucket truck. The guy I work for loves to have numbers to look at before he makes any purchasing decisions and I want to give him some real numbers to look at.

Oh, you are serious. Well, Depends on the job. A dead tree with no DZ, un-safe to climb, do you even bid on it without a boom truck? Maybe several trees to do and all close enough to do with two or three set-ups? There are many scenarios that if you had a boom, you would be using it's usage in your bidding. Look at some of your past jobs and profit, then imagine a boom truck on the same jobs.
Jeff ;)

Like Jeff pointed out...it depends on what you ARE doing and what you COULD be doing that you are not doing.

If the primary business model is IPM, than it may be hard to justify a bucket. If the primary busness model is dead tree removal and powerline clearence, than it would be hard to imagine not having a bucket truck.

I don't know of a spreadsheet, and I highly doubt one exists because there are too many variables. If you want to make one, calculate the cost to own and operate a bucket truck then divide that expense by an hourly rate. Now the question is: can you sell that many hours of work that require a bucket -OR- can you save enough hours based on your current work load (in other words, does it makes sense that he pays a bucket truck loan instead of you)?

I guess you didn't understand what I was looking for. I was hoping to find a spreadsheet or program that would justify the ROI on an investment such as a bucket truck. The guy I work for loves to have numbers to look at before he makes any purchasing decisions and I want to give him some real numbers to look at.

It depends how much use you'll actually use it. Davey uses them all the time for line clearance. My company would have almost no use for one. How often would you actually use it and when you do is it reducing man hours enough to justify the cost/gas/maintenance expenses that come with the truck?

Ever see someone die in the power lines is that enough to convince him?

It depends on the type of work you're doing, want to do or have to turn away.

You can start by looking at the cost of renting a bucket truck for a particular type of job and costing it that way. Figuring it against the monthly payment of a purchase, maintenance and upkeep and see if you would have enough business that would warrant buying one.

If you dont have a bucket here everyone looks down on you. I do so little climbing because everyone has a bucket and no one wants to climb. Call me young and stupid but i like it.

If you dont have a bucket here everyone looks down on you. I do so little climbing because everyone has a bucket and no one wants to climb. Call me young and stupid but i like it.

I guess I would say that most here have bucket's, other than some of the small res type companies and mom 'n' pop;s. There are so so many tree jobs that a bucket is not a factor. Even with great access, would you prune a monterey pine with it? Most prunes are best when climbed. Even some removals are easier and faster if the bucket happens to be in the way of creating a larger DZ. It's all about application. I (we) here in Socal often see the (one of the) larger companie's (WCA) doing road work and freeways. They got all the stuff. So, on a major street here, has about 100 or so Canary Pines in the median with 2 lanes in each direction. They do not climb. They got 2 boom trucks for each tree. Probably an hour or so set up for traffic control, then the 2 guys and their boom's set up on either side of the pine and each one trim's a side. Maybe it works for them, but I would (with all that traffic control) have six trees at a time going with no boom. All depends.
Jeff :)

I guess I would say that most here have bucket's, other than some of the small res type companies and mom 'n' pop;s. There are so so many tree jobs that a bucket is not a factor. Even with great access, would you prune a monterey pine with it? Most prunes are best when climbed. Even some removals are easier and faster if the bucket happens to be in the way of creating a larger DZ. It's all about application. I (we) here in Socal often see the (one of the) larger companie's (WCA) doing road work and freeways. They got all the stuff. So, on a major street here, has about 100 or so Canary Pines in the median with 2 lanes in each direction. They do not climb. They got 2 boom trucks for each tree. Probably an hour or so set up for traffic control, then the 2 guys and their boom's set up on either side of the pine and each one trim's a side. Maybe it works for them, but I would (with all that traffic control) have six trees at a time going with no boom. All depends.
Jeff :)

Yes there are way to many lazy people here, but i do like pruning in a bucket because im still kinda green i dont like climbing with out spurs.

Latest posts

Back