ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Kelley KLS24HA log splitter

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by i'mstihlaguy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. i'mstihlaguy

i'mstihlaguy ArboristSite Operative

I did a search and didn't find anything. Someone in my area has one up for sale at $400. Anybody familiar with this log splitter? Any comments on the specs?

http://www.kelleymanufacturing.com/product/log_splitter/KLS24HA/moreimages.php

Features

24" or 36" log platform.
    Unitized 5" H beam frame construction with Category I 3-point hitch mounting.
    Cradle-shaped platform to help position log.
    Advanced 7-1/2" heavy-duty wedge for smooth, controlled split.
    Splitting force 12-1/2 tons at 2000 PSI.
    4" cylinder.

2. husky455rancher

husky455rancher Addicted to ArboristSite

prolly ok if you dont mind laying on the ground to split wood.

3. VTMan

VTMan ArboristSite Lurker

I have the 36 inch deck and have no complaints at all. The thing will split just about anything you need. The only drawback is that it is a little slow. I have heard that all 3 point splitters tend to be slower. I have a OWB and cut my firewood at about 30 inches. Also, the previous post is not really correct, because this splitter is attached to the 3 point hitch you are able to adjust the height of the I-beam deck.

I would recommend this splitter.

4. i'mstihlaguy

i'mstihlaguy ArboristSite Operative

That was my thinking as well VTMan. Some have a log lift on their splitter but with this one you could just drop it to the ground and role the big stuff on it. I can easily reach the lever to operate the 3pt hitch standing behind my tractor. I realize that still requires bending over alot and I have taken that into consideration. A table to catch the split pieces would be an improvement that should be easy to add. I see this model on the Web for around $1K so I thougt this might be a decent deal for the $400 asking price.

5. 2manytoys4me

2manytoys4me ArboristSite Member

i have a northern 3 pt similar to this one, it is slow but im getting older and appreciate the speed

6. skidud

skidud ArboristSite Lurker

Kelley KLS24

Not trying to rehash a dead thread but I'll add my 2 cents. I just got one of these last night and after searching the net for some info I came upon this thread. I picked mine up off Craigslist for $285.

We've also got a home built job with a 6" dozer cylinder. It puts out 47K lbs force vs this things 25K at the same 2000 PSI operating pressure. I was really shocked at how well this little thing did in an 18" round of gnarled oak that I threw at it to test it. I never thought it would get through that hunk but it did without bucking for second.

I bought the thing because the bigger splitter is just two dang slow with that massive cylinder. I'm running them both off the loader's independent front pump on my Massey 165. I checked the flow of the pump at 11 GPM and the PSI at 2000. There are a lot of neat hydraulic calculators online but I really like the simplicity of these two:

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_speed.htm

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_calc.htm