Kenetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
People that have Kenetic Log splitters how do you like them?

When did you buy it?

Why did you buy it?

Tell me why I should buy one.... or why I shouldn't buy one and which brand do you recommend and which should I stay away from.

Any help would be appreaciated!

"Kinetic" splitter. I'm sure you mean a rack and pinion style and not the "wheel of death"

The super split has a cult following and are great for high production of 20" diameter and less-straight grained type of wood. I'm in no way saying that they can't do more bigger or more knarly wood but you might have to take a few "cracks" at it.

I personally don't own one. I have a big slow hydraulic unit that does just fine on the big stuff I can't get with my fiskars x27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a supersplit and it's been nothing short of phenomenal! It has split a good 300 face cords over the last 3 years without a hitch. The thing is amazing and compared to a commercial splitter the cost is nothing. Old fashioned technology that is proven, tested, and unbeatable. It's a joy to use. You will simply be amazed and never want to look at a hydro again. The big stuff I pickup with my tractor, split it, right back into the bucket, and not a problem. I've never had a piece I couldn't split. Some crotchs or gnarly pieces may take a couple more whacks, but it'll get 'r done. The wedge is actually more like a knife as it cuts more than splits. This makes it much better on elm, hickory, and stringy stuff. Buy the original supersplit, and you'll never look back or regret it.

I have a DR power version. I would buy a SS if I did it again.
It stripped out in 1 month, repaired under warranty. It stripped out again a time later, and I took it apart to find out why. DR Power sent me replacement parts, and with lubrication where it needs to be, and correct adjustment it has survived.
It will do the knarlier pieces, however I prefer to use it on dry stuff for bundles the fast cycle time is great for that.

How old are you? How much wood do you need? Are you trying to go into the firewood business? When I was a kid, my Dad owned a tree care business and we had a big commercial splitter. Now I'm 61 and split about 10 cord a year. So, it doesn't matter how fast the splitter goes, it's how fast I go. Several years ago I bought a Tractor Supply badged Speeco 22 ton for $999. Weather has been in the 80's-90's lately. I can go out early before it gets hot, take the wood off my big trailer, split and stack on my little trailer, or in a pile. Do about a 1/3 of a cord a day. Next thing you know, I've got 10 cord split and stacked. Would a Super Split be nice, sure. But the splitter I paid $999 for was just on sale for $899. The Tractor Supply spitters have been reviewed many times here and never a bad word. Mine will sit for months, outside, push the primer 6 times, pull 3 times and always starts. I'ts all I need. I never base purchases on need, it's what I want. I collect old Savage rifles. I could buy a couple nice rifles with what I saved buying the Speeco. Don't over look our Sponsor's DHT splitters either, great reviews. Now, if you just WANT a SS, just go get it. One of Dad's suppliers was an SS dealer and tried to sell us one back in the 70's, they have been around a long time, Joe.

I invested in a Super Split HD last winter. My primary goal was to speed up the process since I found myself spending to much time at the splitter waiting for it to cycle.

Ill never go back to a hydraulic splitter again. That doesn't mean it is without faults. It requires a little more maintenance. It requires reading the wood so it can split efficiently.

But get into a groove and you'll be rewarded with a machine that will split wood in consistent sizes for as long as you can feed it. Its takes 3 of us here to make full use of the SS.

Here is one benefit I found... Much more consistently sized splits.... We heat with wood stoves and the squarer splits allow us to pack the firebox full... Splits on the bottom were done with the SS while the darker rows above were done with a hydro the previous year...

upload_2017-6-21_21-3-51.jpeg

Here is a friend, My Son and me (taking the picture) feeding the SS and its keeping all three of us in constant motion.

upload_2017-6-21_21-14-1.jpeg

And since the SS increased productivity so much, I built a log deck and cutting deck to make things go even quicker.

upload_2017-6-21_21-16-37.jpeg

A good shot showing the size consistency...

upload_2017-6-21_21-17-15.jpeg

That being said.. Heres a thread I started about the little cam follower that rides on the beam....

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/not-impressed.306652/

Its a significant investment over a hydraulic splitter. Its hard to beat the TSC/Speeco 22 ton unit at the sub $1000 pricepoint. I didn't come across anything that splitter wouldn't split. I do now find there are pieces I will toss aside for the firepit... But that's OK. The firepit needs wood too.

I invested in a Super Split HD last winter. My primary goal was to speed up the process since I found myself spending to much time at the splitter waiting for it to cycle.

Ill never go back to a hydraulic splitter again. That doesn't mean it is without faults. It requires a little more maintenance. It requires reading the wood so it can split efficiently.

But get into a groove and you'll be rewarded with a machine that will split wood in consistent sizes for as long as you can feed it. Its takes 3 of us here to make full use of the SS.

Here is one benefit I found... Much more consistently sized splits.... We heat with wood stoves and the squarer splits allow us to pack the firebox full... Splits on the bottom were done with the SS while the darker rows above were done with a hydro the previous year...

View attachment 586318

Here is a friend, My Son and me (taking the picture) feeding the SS and its keeping all three of us in constant motion.

View attachment 586319

And since the SS increased productivity so much, I built a log deck and cutting deck to make things go even quicker.

View attachment 586320

A good shot showing the size consistency...

View attachment 586321

That being said.. Heres a thread I started about the little cam follower that rides on the beam....

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/not-impressed.306652/

Its a significant investment over a hydraulic splitter. Its hard to beat the TSC/Speeco 22 ton unit at the sub $1000 pricepoint. I didn't come across anything that splitter wouldn't split. I do now find there are pieces I will toss aside for the firepit... But that's OK. The firepit needs wood too.
Hi C,

I am also looking at getting kinetic splitter for a second machine, currently running Tajfun RCA 480 as main machine, but looking for something that I can process smaller stuff that is not productibe through RCA.

What is the price range that I can get AS for and from where. I will need to get shipped to South Africa.
I do full time wood as my main business.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

I have a SuperSplit HD, which is the middle one of the three offered by SS.
How do I like it? Likes/Dislikes.
6 hp Subaru sips gas. :yes:
Love the beam/table height, and that it has the optional table for re-splitting.
Very rhythmic to use, enjoyable to use. Standing up, straight back.
NOTE: The SS is engaged with one hand on the operating lever. No two hand safety operation like some kinetics have.
Knife like wedge does well in most wood. Cuts small to medium size knots well. Some pieces a hydraulic might tear up and mangle, the SS cuts into usable, stackable firewood.
Dislikes:
The push plate is small, so no double stacking. (no need really, just saying)
It does require more daily maintenance than a hydraulic. (cleaning, grease rack every few hours, and flywheel zerks weekly, oiling bearings daily on return carriage)
I keep mine inside at night, so the need to move it daily. I do not know how well it would do outside under a tarp at night. I did that for three weeks, and needed to change out the top carriage return bearing with a freshly oiled one when it was humid or rained. Ten minutes or so. Wedge the spring steel carrier, pull one small bolt that goes thru the bearing. Change bearing, and put froze up one in oil over night. They have unsealed needle bearings, and technically are called a cam follower.
I found the splitter awkward to move by hand, as there is no hitch on mine. With the optional factory hitch on the wedge/beam end I could not get the splitter up to the conveyor.
The SS brand splitter can not be towed on a road, and must be trailered.
I have modified mine to move it more easily at the wood lot.
When did you buy it?
I first heard of them on this site, and read about them here for two years before ordering one, having never seen or used one. I think I have used mine three years. This is the forth year. I have done about 50-60 full cord per year (128 cu. ft. stacked). This year I have done 26 cord to date using it. The hydraulic splitter, with four-way and log lift, sits unused unless there is some big stuff I can't lift onto the SS.
Why you should I buy one/which brand?
Only you can evaluate the type of wood, conditions you have, and how you work, to assess if it is a good fit.
They are affordable here. With shipping it was about $3,300. at the time. (shipping, and optional table, which is necessary for production) I have heard the then standard Subaru is no longer available, and the then optional Honda is now standard.
As for brand, I love the SS. I do have extra bearings for the return carriage. I have soak them in oil and swap them out when the ones in use get moisture in them (winter use). I have replaced the double drive belts, although it probably did not need them. I ran it with a loose belt adjustment at first. If the ram stalled on a block of wood (not the engine) the belts would slip. I thought this was good but it wasn't, it was just hard on the belts. With the proper tension it works great. There is also a centrifugal clutch on the engine shaft for startup and stall protection.
It is a different kind/type of splitter, and there is a learning curve.
At some point the rack/push plate return, which is spring return, may frustrate you. Clean, lubricate, and most importantly, align the top bearing. If you get a piece that puts lots of side pressure on the carriage, then ever so lightly tap the top bearing holder to realign it, to track straight down the beam. Problem solved.
Read the manual for splitting difficult pieces. Crotches. Split 1/2 of one side of the crotch. Then one half of the other side, before splitting between the two limbs.
ALSO NOTE: It is a one man machine, to load and split. I truly believe two people, or kids, on this splitter will lead to lost fingers or worse.
Modifications I did to make it easier to move on the wood lot. I added forklift tubes under the beam, bolted to the two legs, so I could move it with the lift. There is a stop bolt through the tube so I can not hit the engine. Last winter I moved the fixed axle to the wedge end, and added a steer axle and trailer tongue to engine end. The tongue unpins so it is not a trip hazard when working. I can now easily move it for nightly storage, and push it up to the conveyor for use. Both modifications bolt on and can be removed.

Kevinlar, long winded, but hope this helps some. The SS is a splitting machine.
IMG_0442.jpgIMG_0433.jpgIMG_4139.jpgIMG_4057.jpgIMG_4063.jpgIMG_4064.jpg

I have a SuperSplit HD, which is the middle one of the three offered by SS.
How do I like it? Likes/Dislikes.
6 hp Subaru sips gas. :yes:
Love the beam/table height, and that it has the optional table for re-splitting.
Very rhythmic to use, enjoyable to use. Standing up, straight back.
NOTE: The SS is engaged with one hand on the operating lever. No two hand safety operation like some kinetics have.
Knife like wedge does well in most wood. Cuts small to medium size knots well. Some pieces a hydraulic might tear up and mangle, the SS cuts into usable, stackable firewood.
Dislikes:
The push plate is small, so no double stacking. (no need really, just saying)
It does require more daily maintenance than a hydraulic. (cleaning, grease rack every few hours, and flywheel zerks weekly, oiling bearings daily on return carriage)
I keep mine inside at night, so the need to move it daily. I do not know how well it would do outside under a tarp at night. I did that for three weeks, and needed to change out the top carriage return bearing with a freshly oiled one when it was humid or rained. Ten minutes or so. Wedge the spring steel carrier, pull one small bolt that goes thru the bearing. Change bearing, and put froze up one in oil over night. They have unsealed needle bearings, and technically are called a cam follower.
I found the splitter awkward to move by hand, as there is no hitch on mine. With the optional factory hitch on the wedge/beam end I could not get the splitter up to the conveyor.
The SS brand splitter can not be towed on a road, and must be trailered.
I have modified mine to move it more easily at the wood lot.
When did you buy it?
I first heard of them on this site, and read about them here for two years before ordering one, having never seen or used one. I think I have used mine three years. This is the forth year. I have done about 50-60 full cord per year (128 cu. ft. stacked). This year I have done 26 cord to date using it. The hydraulic splitter, with four-way and log lift, sits unused unless there is some big stuff I can't lift onto the SS.
Why you should I buy one/which brand?
Only you can evaluate the type of wood, conditions you have, and how you work, to assess if it is a good fit.
They are affordable here. With shipping it was about $3,300. at the time. (shipping, and optional table, which is necessary for production) I have heard the then standard Subaru is no longer available, and the then optional Honda is now standard.
As for brand, I love the SS. I do have extra bearings for the return carriage. I have soak them in oil and swap them out when the ones in use get moisture in them (winter use). I have replaced the double drive belts, although it probably did not need them. I ran it with a loose belt adjustment at first. If the ram stalled on a block of wood (not the engine) the belts would slip. I thought this was good but it wasn't, it was just hard on the belts. With the proper tension it works great. There is also a centrifugal clutch on the engine shaft for startup and stall protection.
It is a different kind/type of splitter, and there is a learning curve.
At some point the rack/push plate return, which is spring return, may frustrate you. Clean, lubricate, and most importantly, align the top bearing. If you get a piece that puts lots of side pressure on the carriage, then ever so lightly tap the top bearing holder to realign it, to track straight down the beam. Problem solved.
Read the manual for splitting difficult pieces. Crotches. Split 1/2 of one side of the crotch. Then one half of the other side, before splitting between the two limbs.
ALSO NOTE: It is a one man machine, to load and split. I truly believe two people, or kids, on this splitter will lead to lost fingers or worse.
Modifications I did to make it easier to move on the wood lot. I added forklift tubes under the beam, bolted to the two legs, so I could move it with the lift. There is a stop bolt through the tube so I can not hit the engine. Last winter I moved the fixed axle to the wedge end, and added a steer axle and trailer tongue to engine end. The tongue unpins so it is not a trip hazard when working. I can now easily move it for nightly storage, and push it up to the conveyor for use. Both modifications bolt on and can be removed.

Kevinlar, long winded, but hope this helps some. The SS is a splitting machine.
View attachment 586467View attachment 586469View attachment 586470View attachment 586552View attachment 586583View attachment 586582
What is diferent about the woodmaxx 34 ton splitter? At 1800usd, it seems agood buy? Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

I've had a Super Split J model for 7 years, best thing since sliced bread!

There really is no good reason not to get one!

Not familiar with Woodmax.
I did look up their web site and watched the video.
If you pause the video in the first few seconds, you will see the machine without the flywheel cover.
The rack is mounted to guides on the beam... on both ends, which is interesting.
It also has small cradles on each side of the beam to hold the round, so the two hand safety can be used to activate the rack.
The SuperSplit rack is mounted on one end, to the push plate guide, and the other end of the rack floats in a tube.
The engine on the Woodmax is mounted below the beam, so further from your ears, and a probably a much lower center of gravity.
The SS gas engine is mounted above the rack guide tube.
The SS does have an electric motor option.
Below is a photo of how the SuperSplit HD was shipped to me. I think the (optional) table is under the box, narrow end toward the pallet jack, wide end opposite, with cardboard over the raised side edge. The axle/leg is on top, and one tire/wheel on each side. The wheels have grease zerks, but no bearings that I recall, and held on with a washer and cotter key. They may package things differently for over seas shipments. You would have to ask. IMG_0393.jpg

Latest posts

Back