Kindling Axe/Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I like to hear what you guys got for a high quality kindling axe or hatchet.
I've been eyeballing a few Japanese and Gränsfors.
Not interested in Fiskars because I have a couple and want to go to something of higher quality.

Not interested in Fiskars because I have a couple and want to go to something of higher quality.
How much quality do you need to split kindling? I bought a hatchet, and decided I would just as soon use my axe, choked up on the handle for kindling.

It sounds like you might as well choose the one(s) you want. Almost anything will work.

Philbert

066blaster,
I have a buttload of cedar and need to use them up. Maybe sell some even.
I may need to hand split a bunch of 16" cedar kindling that's why I started this thread hoping to get some info on the baddest kindling axe.

If I paid $175 for a hatchet to split kindling, I'd be afraid to use it.

I have a number of hatchets but the Fiskars are all I use. If I lose or break one, I don't much care. For less than $30, I can get another and they do a damn good job.

The Estwing is the kindling hatchet of hatchets. It's tough. It's durable. It's attractive. Comes with a great leather sheath. Above all, you'll not be afraid of abusing it. On the other hand , U can get a high dollar unit, and never take it out of its sheath except to oil it , and admire its beauty.
tinder wagon.JPG IMG_0026_1.JPG

Look no further than the Estwing Fireside Friend...4lb, 14" long sledge/maul on one end, tapered to sharp, axe head on the opposite. $29 at HD. Model number E3-FF4. Never need another kindling tool again. And as mentioned, keep the US mans' job around, hell with overseas. Eastwings' quality for price can't be touched...I have several Estwing campers axes of various lengths, hatchets, framing hammers, ballpeens, mallets, dead blows, etc, etc... never a single failure.

I have to agree, I've used the Estwing hammers and hatches for over 45 years and never looked for anything different. My old hatches was just like the one in the picture above, it was used as a hatches, wedge and a chisel. I'd still have it today but like a fool I stuck it in to a log until I got out of the woods but forgot it there - I guess the guy at the bar needed my hatchet more than I did.. It's hard to beat the Estwing products... I think I paid around 35.00 for my new hatchet. The best part is if fits in my tool box when not on my tool belt..

I use splitter trash, bark chunks, small twigs broken up with my hands, plus cardboard boxes torn up and junk mail. Plus on a lot of trees I cut down to one inch, so I have beaucoup smalls to burn. I have so much smalls that is my morning fire, a bucket of smalls to get it back going again, just chuck whatever I have in the five gallon bucket in on the coals from overnight. I split some pine kindling for bundles, and I use my fiskars supersplitter with one hand for that. I *had* a fiskars hatchet, but it was part of the stuff that was stolen from the barn a few years ago and never replaced it. With that said, I agree on the estwing stuff.

Back