Kindling Axe/Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well; if U have pics stored in your PC, it's easy. U don't have to type any posts, but for I.D.'s sake or comment go ahead. When U've finished, hit the [Upload a File] button at the bottom of the posting window. The search engine will usually pick up the last folder of pictures you PC recalls. At any rate , go to the folder where your pics are stored, highlight (click-on) the pic U want to UpLoad, and click on the [Open] button down in the bottom right-hand corner of the window.
Your PC Window will change back to your Post entry. At the bottom of the screen U can watch the progress as the pic loads up. Once it reaches 100% there may be a pause before a small icon of the pic appears with a question box regarding the size of the pic U want. Click (Full), and it will appear below your post. If U have more pics to go with that one, then click the (Upload a File), and go through the routine again.

I ran across some kindling splitting pics U may like.
Below is the gransfors bruk in the split. Note the blade is not even near the split, because the large poll or butt of the hatchet head is so broad that it is wedging the wood apart. With kindling, it becomes easily broken if too much pressure is exerted in the split. Thus, time after time the gransfors caused the wood to snap before it could finish the split.
IMG_1871.JPG
Here; the Estwing splits the kindling, and the blade easily contacts the wood if it doesn't split prior to its descent down threw the wood. Note the streamlined poll of the head prevents an aggressive shock to the wood while splitting. Splitting is notably more uniform with this hatchet.
IMG_1868.JPG

I ran across some kindling splitting pics U may like.
Below is the gransfors bruk in the split. Note the blade is not even near the split, because the large poll or butt of the hatchet head is so broad that it is wedging the wood apart. With kindling, it becomes easily broken if too much pressure is exerted in the split. Thus, time after time the gransfors caused the wood to snap before it could finish the split.
View attachment 464429
Here; the Estwing splits the kindling, and the blade easily contacts the wood if it doesn't split prior to its descent down threw the wood. Note the streamlined poll of the head prevents an aggressive shock to the wood while splitting. Splitting is notably more uniform with this hatchet.
View attachment 464433
With ya all day long on that theory...I still like the Estwing Fireside Friend...tap it a couple of times, much wider head than the Bruk, pieces just fall apart. I think it's either very thin, or really side that serves the purpose best. How dry the splits are that are being 'kindled' certainly plays a part as well. Nice pics, Sage.

My choice is the granfors and some sassafras for kindling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LoL ! Sassafras; that brings back old memories. Mom wanted to make some sassafras tea, and told me where there was a sassafras tree over in the NW Quarter of Dads section of farmland. So, I follow her directions, and sure nuff, there was the tree, just like she described. At the tree, I put the shovel into the dirt a few times and hitting a root, I severed it , and brought it out of the ground. I cleaned it off , and put it too my nose expecting a whiff of root-beer aroma, but nada, nothing. Curious, I stood, and walked around the tree only to find the biggest poison ivy vine U ever laid eyes on. My head swelled up like a balloon. My Doc never seen anything like it, (me).:cry:

Sage I've been wanting a couple of the gransfor hatchet the mini for my hunting pack and a couple more. Here is my Collins crafstman and estwing . Most the time grap the craftsman for small splitting and kindling. If it don't go through swinging I just tap it on the back with another small log.

image.jpg

Here's one that I restored and gave to my brother as a Christmas gift a few years ago (along with the blue-handled boy's axe). The odd looking handle was actually a boy's axe handle that I removed too much material from for use with an axe head. I haven't yet been able to achieve a mirror finish, but they're definitely reflective.
005.JPG

Here's my current user. It's not pretty, as I haven't had time to restore it yet (other than sharpening it, and taking down the edges of the poll; some fool was using it as a hammer).
View attachment 465042
Beautiful. Don't know if I'd change a thing on that one.
I have 2 of that type splitting hatchet,not collins but.....They work quite well on previously split wood.They won't do the job on a round over about 10 inches.
I agree hatchets do best on wood that has been split down to 3", maybe 4". From there, they can make fine kindling. A boys axe does great getting them down to where it's easy for the hatchet.

Beautiful. Don't know if I'd change a thing on that one.

I agree hatchets do best on wood that has been split down to 3", maybe 4". From there, they can make fine kindling. A boys axe does great getting them down to where it's easy for the hatchet.

That's what I do (split down to hatchet-manageable size with a boy's axe). I actually cut certain rounds specifically for processing into kindling. Almost always cedar, and bucked in 11" lengths; that way the kindling can be stored in milk crates.

That's what I do (split down to hatchet-manageable size with a boy's axe). I actually cut certain rounds specifically for processing into kindling. Almost always cedar, and bucked in 11" lengths; that way the kindling can be stored in milk crates.
Cedar is best for kindling in my area. Burns hot and fast.

Back