Kinetic Splitter tips and tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen this little guy at the local Lowes yesterday.View attachment 601299

I thought it might make a pretty good kindling maker for setting up in the basement. $450 price tag, made me buy a new file for my little hatchett instead. If Ii was into making and selling bundles, I might reconsider. I could run everything thru my 6way hyd, and then set that little puppy up for resplits.

I've had my eye on a few of the small kinetic splitters, the timber champ one in particular. They were everywhere for a while and now they are nowhere. I'm not sure if they have been pulled from the market or just popular and waiting on another container full to arrive.

I have quite a bit of wood on hand (3+ year's worth). I split mostly by hand and I was thinking of splitting into larger chunks for seasoning, then resplitting in the garage as needed. Since quick seasoning isn't a priority for me I figured it would cut down on handling. When I say larger chunks I mean burnable, overnight size but not fire starting or shoulder season size.

I've had my eye on a few of the small kinetic splitters, the timber champ one in particular. They were everywhere for a while and now they are nowhere. I'm not sure if they have been pulled from the market or just popular and waiting on another container full to arrive.

I have quite a bit of wood on hand (3+ year's worth). I split mostly by hand and I was thinking of splitting into larger chunks for seasoning, then resplitting in the garage as needed. Since quick seasoning isn't a priority for me I figured it would cut down on handling. When I say larger chunks I mean burnable, overnight size but not fire starting or shoulder season size.
I dont know how old that little splitter is. Paint is all faded and starting to rust in places. Either no one wants it, or its been setting out back, forgotten, for a long time.

Hows the cutting board working out @Sandhill Crane
:drinkingcoffee:
Why did I wait?
Well for one, I never really looked at how to mount it, and figured the splits would catch on the raised lip of material added on top of the existing table.. Once I looked it over, the solution was quite simple, unbelievably simple. And the result delightful...
Well sometimes I now have to catch half rounds going up the conveyor if they get bumped on the table.

Are you finding the plastic is getting marred up at all?

Mind sharing where you got it from? The thing Ive found with the HDPE I have is it isn't self lubricating. Scratches and marks add friction although its still better than the plain steel.

Been camping since Thursday at Mears State Park in Pentwater along beautiful Lake Michigan's sandy beaches.

I've run a couple cord through it and no issues so far.
The piece over hangs the end of the table by an 1/8" and that end floats. Sometimes smaller rounds don't get split and I toss them in the conveyor. Once in awhile they hit the tail edge, that unsupported edge of the table first, and I'm waiting to chip off a chunk doing that. So far has not happened. It is not cold yet either.
On line at:

Plastics International, Eden Prairie, MN 55344 ph. (952) 934-2303
(1) piece .500 in thick UHMW Virgin Natural 0.500tk x 32.00 wd x 46.00 lgth
I don't have the price on the packing slip, but about $140. + $32. shipping

Edit: There might be a better choice of material. Just ask Customer Service.

Back