Land owner says it is hackberry..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it is.. its been dead a long time.. the bark just doesnt look right to be hackberry.. but then some of what is left on the stump looks like it..

if it is.. its been dead a long time.. the bark just doesnt look right to be hackberry.. but then some of what is left on the stump looks like it..

I agree. Bark doesn't look like hackberry. But it does appear to have been dead a long time so the bark may have deteriorated. I have seen them that big around here,,,,not very common though.

Definitely Hackberry. The bark has decayed a bit. Hackberry is commonly spalted. And yes, they do get big!

Hackberry. The deer love to rub against the bark. Good firewood. Really dense when green but splits rather well when green--much better than either elm or cottonwood. Unlike mulberry, it burns with no sparks. I'll take it any day. Four years ago I brought in ten truckloads of it.

I agree, hackberry. They get pretty big around here.
I'm with ya on this one, but I don't screw with it unless its dropped off. Too stringy when splitting, bark starts falling off making a mess after its dried and LOTS of ash for the btu's that are given off. IMO. Also want to specify that I am referring to burning in an OWB.

I agree the wood looks like hackberry, but not too sure on the bark. Anyway, if it is Hackberry, be sure to burn it all or store it under cover. It does not weather well at all, gets rotten and punky after about 1 season after being cut/split. Good wood when it is in good condition.

its hackberry. last year, I took out a old farmplace of trees..all white oak, except one. a 42 inch dbh, hackberry.. when it went over,, it stopped at 45 deg, because of some huge branches stopping it....not so fun...I got MOST of it cut and split last season, but here were some BIG branches left over for this year. I agree with some,,ill take ash over that stuff,,,when it was dry,,it got really light... and burnt just as fast...and a few of the branches were cracked,,and they had mold thru the cracks,,and when I split them,,the stuff was spalted,,but just in the first stages of it.....

Back