Latest firewood work, pics and videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yepper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I've found myself in between jobs for about a month and worked out a deal with a few local folks to cut their firewood. Seems like it's easy to find short term work around VT once word gets out that you're handy with a chainsaw...

These photos are from the main job I'm working on with a dual purpose of clearing pasture and generating firewood. The trees in this section are 90% red maple with a few black and yellow birch, very easy cutting and splitting. The first photo is a bit of a mess since it was taken right before a lot of brush dragging but you get the idea. Can you spot the hidden saw?? Everything back to the conifers is being cut, though a few that are leaning heavy away from the clearing might stay. To the right of the photo is another patch of about 15 more maples to go. Most are in the 8-12" range with just a few pushing 20", makes for easy hauling and splitting. IMG_0293.JPG

Here is my one and only splitting tool, the Gransfors Bruk splitting maul. I can't reccommend this highly enough, even hard maple splits with relative ease and in this softer stuff it is an absolute powerhouse. The price was a hard pill to swallow but I've found it worth every cent. IMG_0291.JPG

Finally here's a quick video of some of the bigger drops from the week. The stumps are all being left so high at the land owner's request for potential future use as fence posts, so a lot of them probably will get lopped off lower once the fence is up.

That's all for now, the job runs through the third week of March and I aim to have new content about once a week.

Thanks everyone, I'm having a lot of fun doing the videos. Last winter I was using a GoPro for helmet cam videos but it is no longer accessible, playing with the camera and tripod setup opens a lot of new possibilities for angles.

Why so high on the stump ?

The stumps are high at the landowner's request for potential future use as fence posts. Many will probably be cut off flush later in the spring but he wants them all high for now to leave more options for the fencing. I'm sure getting a lot more practice at Humboldt cutting with those high faces..

Very nice work, and nice clean edit on the video. I need to refine my video editing skills.
Are you doing this work alone? I do 90% of my firewood work alone. A recent large oak (36" DBH) that I took down in my lawn is really taxing me. I enjoy most of the work, with a very large EXCEPT dragging brush.

Nice! You are never out of work long with a strong back and a good work ethic. Good for you on filling the gaps with something fun. Wish there was a "Harry Potter" method for dragging brush

Very nice work, and nice clean edit on the video. I need to refine my video editing skills.
Are you doing this work alone? I do 90% of my firewood work alone. A recent large oak (36" DBH) that I took down in my lawn is really taxing me. I enjoy most of the work, with a very large EXCEPT dragging brush.

Yeah the editing goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it, it's mainly a lot of trimming as most of these start being 5-7 minute clips from the time taken to start recording, go cut the tree, run back and shut recording off, etc. I just use the included Windows Movie Maker, it's definitely not a fancy piece of software but if trimming down short clips is what you're doing it'll work just fine.

So far all the work has been by myself. I generally only cut when the landowner is home because I really, really don't like running a chainsaw with nobody in shouting distance but he has a lot of other projects going on which is why I'm here cutting. Honestly I don't mind dragging brush a bit, makes for a nice breather after running a couple tanks through the saw and I like to keep a pretty neat work site so nice tight piles suit me well. I suppose it helps that this is an area where all the brush will be burned later so I don't move it around much, more than say 10 paces and it's time to start a new pile.

Well it's the end of another week, the footage was a little sparse until today. I've cleared most of three sides and this video is starting on the fourth. This first photo points at roughly the same area as the one in my first post so you can see the progress.

IMG_0302.JPG

This is how I like to work the trees up when the order allows it, fell a couple across each other so they're held up for easy limbing.

IMG_0301.JPG

I know everyone likes looking at saws so here's my 036. Picked it up at a local shop for $199. Being young and on a budget I am firmly committed to the one saw plan at this time and a 60 Cc saw has been great for that. Sometimes feels a bit heavy for limbing etc. but it's plenty of grunt to cut just about everything I encounter. If I have to stick with one saw I'd rather heft a little more weight than take all day to buck larger trunks. Around here the only thing that'll slow it down is burying all 20" in frozen sugar maple which I'm fortunately not doing a lot of these days..

IMG_0298.JPG

Here's a smaller job I've been doing for another customer, digging up and removing two blowdowns from the edge of a yard. It was a bit of work digging up all the snow but they were happy to pay for it so I was happy to do it. At times it reminded me a lot of digging up a fossil, surprisingly fun. The one pictured is a poplar, the other was a fairly large apple. The bottom couple logs of the apple were pusing 16", will make a few long burners for next winter

IMG_0300.JPG

And last but certainly not least, here's the latest video footage.

Well it's the end of another week, the footage was a little sparse until today. I've cleared most of three sides and this video is starting on the fourth. This first photo points at roughly the same area as the one in my first post so you can see the progress.

View attachment 410218

This is how I like to work the trees up when the order allows it, fell a couple across each other so they're held up for easy limbing.

View attachment 410217

I know everyone likes looking at saws so here's my 036. Picked it up at a local shop for $199. Being young and on a budget I am firmly committed to the one saw plan at this time and a 60 Cc saw has been great for that. Sometimes feels a bit heavy for limbing etc. but it's plenty of grunt to cut just about everything I encounter. If I have to stick with one saw I'd rather heft a little more weight than take all day to buck larger trunks. Around here the only thing that'll slow it down is burying all 20" in frozen sugar maple which I'm fortunately not doing a lot of these days..

View attachment 410214

Here's a smaller job I've been doing for another customer, digging up and removing two blowdowns from the edge of a yard. It was a bit of work digging up all the snow but they were happy to pay for it so I was happy to do it. At times it reminded me a lot of digging up a fossil, surprisingly fun. The one pictured is a poplar, the other was a fairly large apple. The bottom couple logs of the apple were pusing 16", will make a few long burners for next winter

View attachment 410215

And last but certainly not least, here's the latest video footage.

Looks good. Love the t-shirt while working in the snow.

Looks good. Love the t-shirt while working in the snow.

Me too! After the colder peak of winter anything above 30 feels like summer when working. It was probably high 30's the day that was shot and up in the 40's today, even warmer tomorrow. The sap is starting to run in this part of VT.

Looking good! You got a pretty good deal on that saw too.

I agree, I've seen them posted for closer to $300 in similar condition.

good work ...
i wish i had a hundred acres of trees to saw on , i hate idle time ...

Heck you don't need anywhere near that much, the folks I'm doing this for are only on 20 acres. They've been cutting a lot of firewood for 29 years and had it logged, and the forest is still plenty full.

I see just grabbing the Gransfors Bruk was enough to convince that last tree to yield to the inevitable. Ron

Yeah that was an interesting one, it's just barely starting to go as I get the maul to drive the wedge farther and I don't see it till I'm about to swing again. It's fair to say I should have watched the top closer... these red maples are interesting having not cut a lot of them previously, they like to teeter on the stump and fall a little slower than the hard maple and ash I'm more used to.

Nice videos. Need to keep the thumb on the left hand tucked under the handle. Sorry, just an old safety guy and I can't let it go. :nofunny: Enjoyed watching and will continue to check it out.

Thanks for the tip, is the idea to have less chance of cutting your thumb off in a severe kickback? I tried keeping it tucked in today and it actually felt like a less secure grip than pressing on the handle with an outstretched thumb. Maybe it's because I'm still actively concentrating on doing it that way.

OK here's a question, anyone have tips for lining up humboldt face cuts? I've been doing a lot of them because of the high stumps, and for most of these trees I have a mile wide drop zone so it's a safe place to practice new techniques. I really like the way the notch falls right out with a humboldt especially on larger trees, but man it has been hard cutting them clean without lots of nibbling and adjustment. Much higher count of ugly stumps here than I'm used to.

Yeah that was an interesting one, it's just barely starting to go as I get the maul to drive the wedge farther and I don't see it till I'm about to swing again. It's fair to say I should have watched the top closer... these red maples are interesting having not cut a lot of them previously, they like to teeter on the stump and fall a little slower than the hard maple and ash I'm more used to.

Thanks for the tip, is the idea to have less chance of cutting your thumb off in a severe kickback? I tried keeping it tucked in today and it actually felt like a less secure grip than pressing on the handle with an outstretched thumb. Maybe it's because I'm still actively concentrating on doing it that way.

OK here's a question, anyone have tips for lining up humboldt face cuts? I've been doing a lot of them because of the high stumps, and for most of these trees I have a mile wide drop zone so it's a safe place to practice new techniques. I really like the way the notch falls right out with a humboldt especially on larger trees, but man it has been hard cutting them clean without lots of nibbling and adjustment. Much higher count of ugly stumps here than I'm used to.

Actually having the thumb tucked under the handle makes it more likely that your hand will not slip off the handle during kickback. Should your left hand slip off you would be handling a kickback with just your right hand on the rear handle.

Latest posts

Back