Leaner technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of midwestern hardwood is cut when temps are well below freezing, wonder if that is a contributing factor??? There are several species that I try to split when the temp is -10F or so, don't split worth a darn at 50
Not really. If a tree is going to chair for whatever reason it will chair. I will say the hold wood is more brittle.

Just an assumption on my part, based loosely on experience, seems that the face cut has as much or more to do with fiber pull than anything. Narrow little face and the stem will want to lift off the stump rather then fold and break the fibers. But the down side is that a wide open face will let the tree more or less free fall and smash hard into the dirt? That part I'm still kinda working on though...

Granted hold wood still has an effect on both speed and fiber pull, its finding that balance between the two that I may never find... every tree is different and they all have their own issues, can't just say here's the magic formula and go.

Also I still hold the theory that a lot of chairs are caused by stalling the tree, usually by not having the face cleaned out good enough, but also by not cutting through the back fast enough, tree starts to go but then stops for whatever reason, puts a tremendous amount of stress on one tiny point, that just so happens to be where your saw is currently cutting. Kinda the whole point of having a big fast saw is to get through that danger point as fast as possible, as well as methods like the Coos, cut that back up quick like and GTFO.

Maybe put a snipe on that wide face. Gutting the heartwood helps tremendously.

I had to watch his vid a couple times to understand what he was doing, does seem a little more complicated. I'm just a firewood cutter but I have examined a few hundred stumps cut by local loggers and am pretty certain that I can say no one uses a Coos bay cut around here. ( probably too much fiber pull on high $$ timber?) They all bore cut and then trip a trigger. after seeing an 880 fly thru the air on another vid I will doing all mine with an upcut instead of a downcut from now on!
Well that's what 'ya' get from releasing the tree from the butt and not the stump. Why would you not release the leaner with your bar tip using a flat cut under your bore a few inches. Regardless of a saw getting crushed, angled cuts, especially from the bottom puts the cutter at a huge disadvantage considering we are already at a disadvantage from clearing our stump. *slaps forehead*
I saw a video on here of a guy cutting down 60° with his face right in the bite.

This **** is a direct result of over using it where it dosent belong. When it's needed its done unsafe. Safe would be anatomically correct for staters. There is a lot of horse **** out there, that's a fact.
On a lighter note, Wade is quite the character, His video was shown on here some time ago. I agree with others that there are better and safer cuts in place that are certifed in my area. You are putting the force on the holding wood and could separate the front of the stump.
The tree has time to stretch and stall. Try that **** on rock in Cedar country and see if you don't get ripped in half or taken by a 60' root wad.

" I couldn't quote you no Dickens... Shelley or Keats
'cause it's all been 'said' before
Make the best out of the bad and...laugh it off!"

what in the heck is with the step in the 'West Coast Swanson? It will stall the butt and spike the top?? I guess the objective was met in this fall.

*Edit* I mean why wasn't the slide continued through?I only do that to save my life or save the wood. Just seems it's Incomplete? Hey if It worked it worked.
*Edit again* OK I caught the conversation.

what in the heck is with the step in the 'West Coast Swanson? It will stall the butt and spike the top?? I guess it's not important in this fall

I'm totally confused with the additional higher face cut and two back cuts. Is the secondary face stop supposed to make it jump the stump and how does it affect a leaner?

Hey bud, how's it going?

I would guess its a scribe mark that was low in regards to the backcut.
As we call it; West Coast Swanson with the sharp angle out of the front of the Humboldt. A regular Swanson cut is a 1 to 1 ratio basically twice the opening of a Humboldt. So it's for getting the butt to the ground before the top. VERY important on hills as the wipping action will send the tree back at you. It changes where the compression meets then hits a quick slide.

Tree just had a funky sharp lip to it on the original snipe so I cut that off so it would close on a larger more square piece of wood. My backcut looks all wamperjawed because of I had to cut all the bark off because it kept plugging up my bar and chain. Tree did have some side lean to it as well but it held in there to the lay with no issues.

Bitzer, I am trying to visualize your cut and am guessing with the root pull that you are essentially cutting out the strip front to back and though technically not using a bore cut, you are doing the same thing. If not, what am I missing?

Ron
Here is one of my variations of a Coos bay from a week or so ago. This tree had some head lean and down hill lean but wasn't too bad. I didn't want to chase the back cut because of the snag, but you get the main idea. I'm going to start taking more video from the job. I took about a dozen from this last one. Just need the time to upload em all. On a real hard leaner the back of the stump would pull out. And for anyone curious I have been double fistin donuts lately! Dam mild winter not keeping me in shape, but I'm eatin the same if I was hittin it hard!

Here is one of my variations of a Coos bay from a week or so ago. This tree had some head lean and down hill lean but wasn't too bad. I didn't want to chase the back cut because of the snag, but you get the main idea. I'm going to start taking more video from the job. I took about a dozen from this last one. Just need the time to upload em all. On a real hard leaner the back of the stump would pull out. And for anyone curious I have been double fistin donuts lately! Dam mild winter not keeping me in shape, but I'm eatin the same if I was hittin it hard!

[/QUOTEhttps://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4

Mistuh Kurtz he dead.

Did you read Heart of Darkness? I have not.IMG_20160302_093446957_HDR.jpg IMG_20160302_092251059.jpg
"Chips were flyin' Raccoon's were cryin' "

I could see a raccoon above when I was making the fall, the Hoe operator said one made it, he figured he could have a chance because of all the BlackBerry bushes but another must have got scared and stayed in its home in the crotch. I guess there wasn't much left. ..I didn't see it. That one was a 5'6" Dia. 11 ft to the Fraser river on the low side. That's a pic of me stabing in the low side. I was able to reach as I could lean on the cable on one side and a saplings on the other so no springboard nedded here. The cable is holding a dock.
I couldn't finish the undercut as it was getting tight so I bored the last bit. I had to get the Hoe operator to take some low weight to cut the low side. You can see me struggling when I start on the back low from pinch. This saw Is my back up and Is just a 52mm BB and mufler, no porting. It's a temporary thing? Everything is.
Got a vid if it loads? See me do a beaver tail...by habit

Peace

Did you read Heart of Darkness? I have not.View attachment 489566 View attachment 489568

I could see a raccoon above when I was making the fall, the Hoe operator said one made it, he figured he could have a chance because of all the BlackBerry bushes but another must have got scared and stayed in its home in the crotch. I guess there wasn't much left. ..I didn't see it. That one was a 5'6" Dia. 11 ft to the Fraser river on the low side. That's a pic of me stabing in the low side. I was able to reach as I could lean on the cable on one side and a saplings on the other so no springboard nedded here. The cable is holding a dock.
I couldn't finish the undercut as it was getting tight so I bored the last bit. I had to get the Hoe operator to take some low weight to cut the low side. You can see me struggling when I start on the back low from pinch. This saw Is my back up and Is just a 52mm BB and mufler, no porting. It's a temporary thing? Everything is.

Peace
Yes I've read it. Its on my bookshelf. T.S. Elliot and the hollow men is somewhere on that same shelf.

That a cottonwood? I had three coons roll out of a crotch a week or so ago. One must've had a busted leg cuz he hobbled off into the brush. The other two kept sleeping. I poked em with the bar and they moved, but they didn't want to be bothered. They were gone the next day.

Yes I've read it. Its on my bookshelf. T.S. Elliot and the hollow men is somewhere on that same shelf.

That a cottonwood? I had three coons roll out of a crotch a week or so ago. One must've had a busted leg cuz he hobbled off into the brush. The other two kept sleeping. I poked em with the bar and they moved, but they didn't want to be bothered. They were gone the next day.
Yeah he wrote some masterpieces. Sounds like you have a nice collection. Good taste. The song I posted is a very powerful cover. I will have to play it for my Dad on his Birthday next week. He will love it. Maybe he has heard it? I know he will think it's incredible.

You had Raccoons in a tree too. Ha-ha.
Yes that's a Cottonwood variation from the coast. The interior ones are cool because they have that very deep groved bark on the larger ones. I will try load the vid again. I believe it said I can only have 8.9 MB? (Dosen't seem like much for a limit) It's about 5 min long. Maybe I will have to trim it some how? I'll get it done eventually.

Did you read Heart of Darkness? I have not.View attachment 489566 View attachment 489568

Peace

I have a red oak stump looks like that complete with coon. Had to make the face cut over my head so it took me forever but he stayed in it and then was trapped after it fell. did not feel like cooking coon so I cut him out and he hobbled off

Ok if a pictures worth a thousand words.
Then this ought to make up for my 10's of Thousands of words.

"There's those that teach and those that do"

and of course there's those that can do both...lol.

*WARNING
animals died jurring the filming of this vidio

Back