Leaner technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's funny, 'he' was actually traped. I have had a half a week cutting over my head. The day before I cut this one we only had30 - 40 ft from the road to the river and they were mostly doubles or schoolmarms of Cottonwood. Sometimes a could stand on another stump. I felt like I was helli falling again.

In the North I see Martin's living in the Cottonwood alot. I saw a big rat running away also from this tree pictured...lol. They will end up moving in to a house now

• Looks like fun! Are those logs out in the river? I wish I had something to cut over 4ft diameter. Thats about where our merch timber ends. I've cut willows over 5ft and I've walked by cottonwoods in the 6ft range, but the biggest wood I've sent to the mill was red oak and sugar maple in the 4 1/2ft range. After that the wood gets questionable and they don't saw cottonwood or at least don't pay for it.

Yeah man they are but I'm not doing it.
I'm the Urban Surgeon now..Haha
I wish I was that good. Anyway..I am Falling for property development in the Fraser Valley and Vancouver lower mainland. I'm makeing more a day than a production inlet faller. That's because I work with my operator so I work 8 hours at $85 but they get $100 at 6.5 hours I'm right on the border got a beautiful view of MT Baker in WA most every day. It looks a few ft away. WA and BC got bigger sticks than OR & the AK. I'm going to enjoy been in 'town' for a while and that's something I haven't had much of.
Yesterday was a good one you would have loved. Just one day pretty much all Cotton and about 150 trees and just slamming them when you could. The Hoe brushes out and pushes the rest when you are ready.
Probably about 30 were about 3ft. I started with that 33" bar but did most with a 28" I liked it because it gives me more practice Boring in the low side and walking around. IDK man, I got payed a bunch of money and a woman shook my hand three times & massaged my...um...ego.. Lol
Basically I had 4 Hoe's on me...well 5 counting the ISA/ forestry degree woman..lol
IDK, I like 'em about 2' - 3 ' in Dia. Hey I'm not 47 anymore, the big one's can mainly be harder work. Your saw sounds pretty mean, I like it. So no limbing or bucking with Cottonwood.One day I did limb & buck the with one company as well other species.
That's what we call a "Beaver tail" so basically the "T" cut Gologit posted in the attachment but it's cut off in a different direction on large Dia. No need to cut under like a trigger/back strap because of how the pressure is spread, IMO? That cut will save you if you go cut cedar. You will go down in a webb of roots, tree and all. You always get to finish at the door of you escape route on a hill. Obviously it's Easy on the wood as well barber chairing been the other consern.

Idk what they do with it? (Cottonwood).
It's no good for firewood, I don't recall it an log trucks? Lots of Aspen though in the north that's mainly for OSB. Yesterday they had a big grinder machine and they have to grind all the stumps and maybe the Cottonwood too? It goes for mulch I think.

It's no good for firewood, I don't recall it an log trucks? Lots of Aspen though in the north that's mainly OSP. Yesterday they had a big grinder machine and they have to grind all the stumps and maybe the Cottonwood too? It goes for mulch I think.

Around here cottonwood is pallet lumber. Very wet stringy and prone to warp. I would think it could be used for long fiber kraft in areas with a paper mill. High effort low return firewood, for those who love feeding a stove it is great

It's no good for firewood, I don't recall it an log trucks? Lots of Aspen though in the north that's mainly for OSB. Yesterday they had a big grinder machine and they have to grind all the stumps and maybe the Cottonwood too? It goes for mulch I think.

If you don't mind dealing with the import export morons, send it Down to Everett wa, They are paying 280 for it, but they are really picky...

Cotton wood kept me going most of the summer, luckily I'm back in Fir and Hemlock again!

Why those picky Cotton pickers.

Maybe one day I'll be in a position to do something like that on a small scale. Cedar is where it's at right now. The price is the highest its ever been. Guy told me the other day he is getting $950 a cord for shakes. Doing Machine assist for merch is not the most glamorous of Falling jobs. A lot more limbing and dirt than what I'm used to but I'm always glad to open up another door. Cutting first growth White wood (Hemlock) is the best. Nice big long pipes with no limbs.

Yeah man they are but I'm not doing it.
I'm the Urban Surgeon now..Haha
I wish I was that good. Anyway..I am Falling for property development in the Fraser Valley and Vancouver lower mainland. I'm makeing more a day than a production inlet faller. That's because I work with my operator so I work 8 hours at $85 but they get $100 at 6.5 hours I'm right on the border got a beautiful view of MT Baker in WA most every day. It looks a few ft away. WA and BC got bigger sticks than OR & the AK. I'm going to enjoy been in 'town' for a while and that's something I haven't had much of.
Yesterday was a good one you would have loved. Just one day pretty much all Cotton and about 150 trees and just slamming them when you could. The Hoe brushes out and pushes the rest when you are ready.
Probably about 30 were about 3ft. I started with that 33" bar but did most with a 28" I liked it because it gives me more practice Boring in the low side and walking around. IDK man, I got payed a bunch of money and a woman shook my hand three times & massaged my...um...ego.. Lol
Basically I had 4 Hoe's on me...well 5 counting the ISA/ forestry degree woman..lol
IDK, I like 'em about 2' - 3 ' in Dia. Hey I'm not 47 anymore, the big one's can mainly be harder work. Your saw sounds pretty mean, I like it. So no limbing or bucking with Cottonwood.One day I did limb & buck the with one company as well other species.
That's what we call a "Beaver tail" so basically the "T" cut Gologit posted in the attachment but it's cut off in a different direction on large Dia. No need to cut under like a trigger/back strap because of how the pressure is spread, IMO? That cut will save you if you go cut cedar. You will go down in a webb of roots, tree and all. You always get to finish at the door of you escape route on a hill. Obviously it's Easy on the wood as well barber chairing been the other consern.

Thanks on the saw! I didn't have time to take a dremel to the cylinder this time, but i did pull the gasket and triple ported the muffler. With an 8 pin its pretty torquey. I can really lean on it.

I cut the guts(like leaving a strap) on the T style coos so i don't pull too much of the butt wood. Theres kind of a happy medium where it will pull the back of the stump out or it will pull the guts out of the butt. I know what yer sayin about when the ground starts to heave as the stump starts pulling out. Cedar must have pretty sprawling roots? I was in pretty decent sized red oak this week. Lots of downhilling heavy leaners. Quite a few in the 36-40" range. No video tho. Really had to hammer down to get it done. Break up is here. 60 by Tuesday they are talkin.

I am really trying to behave myself and stay out of knucklehead disputes, but I had to respond to this post in the firewood forum:

"When notching a big oak like that, I like to notch to split. Dont know how to explain, but I use a small face cut and cut slowly on the back cut. I want the tree to self split, sort of barber chair. As soon as the tree starts falling the way I want it to, I just backup and let gravity do the work. It saves a bunch of noodleing and maul swinging trying to split those butt cuts. Might leave a ugly stump with splinters sticking up, but I can take care of those tall strings easier than busting those large rounds."

Among other things, I said that a logger is concerned with more than saving a log when employing techniques to prevent barber chairs. Going home at the end of the day still ranks at the top, doesn't it?

Ron

I am really trying to behave myself and stay out of knucklehead disputes, but I had to respond to this post in the firewood forum:

"When notching a big oak like that, I like to notch to split. Dont know how to explain, but I use a small face cut and cut slowly on the back cut. I want the tree to self split, sort of barber chair. As soon as the tree starts falling the way I want it to, I just backup and let gravity do the work. It saves a bunch of noodleing and maul swinging trying to split those butt cuts. Might leave a ugly stump with splinters sticking up, but I can take care of those tall strings easier than busting those large rounds."

Among other things, I said that a logger is concerned with more than saving a log when employing techniques to prevent barber chairs. Going home at the end of the day still ranks at the top, doesn't it?

Ron

Wonder if anyone has told him that really good oak is worth $1-3 per board foot? But only unbarbered

Ron

I read that post. You gave it a good try, Ron. You tried to help him and he didn't take you up on it. Some people won't ever be convinced that they're doing something stupid until it bites them on the ass.

Some day a a barber chair might fool that guy...slab out on him, split out sideways, break off halfway up, ricochet off another tree, and maybe come down in pieces. I've seen that happen and it happens in the blink of an eye.
Intentionally 'chairing a tree isn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard of but it's damn close.

Funny how he went from saying he uses a small face to a 90 degree face half way into the tree.

I have seen folks timidly fall other species - cut a little, run, look back to see if it fell; if not run in give it a quick stab and repeat until it falls.

I have cut a few red oaks. I believe he may actually be describing an unintended result as if it were intentional. If not, he has been most fortunate.

Bitzer also hit the nail on the head - what is he going to do when his split tree doesn't fall?

Ron

If you don't mind dealing with the import export morons, send it Down to Everett wa, They are paying 280 for it, but they are really picky...

Cotton wood kept me going most of the summer, luckily I'm back in Fir and Hemlock again!
Down here ( 50 miles south) Mills say they accept Cotton wood but at no value. Ive got a friend wants about 5 acres worth taken down.

Cool cutter:heart:

:hi:
hi, Wow! I'm glad to see you out of P&R. Who won the game over there? Did you make any sammiches?..lol
Just tell 'em you got a computer in your kitchen too? That will kinda take the wind out of their sail. I probably should just come over and help. Ha-ha. (Help who EH) yeah no the title of the thread was actually not about reverse cowgirl, I know it gets confusing. So you came out to check out our medial aSSpects, *we just got perved* No No, of course it's the book and poetry conversation.. Right! I'm a little obtuse, forgive me. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduced a real poet, Mrs B. . XOXO

hi, Wow! I'm glad to see you out of P&R. Who won the game over there? Did you make any sammiches?..lol
Just tell 'em you got a computer in your kitchen too? That will kinda take the wind out of there sail. I probably should just come over and help. Ha-ha. (Help who EH) yeah no the title of the thread was actually not about reverse cowgirl, I know it gets confusing. So you came out to check out our medial aSSpects, *we just got perved* No No, of course it's the book and poetry conversation.. Right! I'm a little obtuse, forgive me. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduced a real poet, Mrs B. . XOXO
You being obtuse is what started the whole thing!...lmao!!...And good afternoon to you too, Mr. B...;)

You being obtuse is what started the whole thing!...lmao!!...And good afternoon to you too, Mr. B...;)

Touché.. *silence*..nobody ever accused me of been normal. *Laugh's it off*

"Lovely to see you again my friend"
A Moody Blues song, and how would I know that? My convent Mother's gal pal Marie married Justin Hayward. She went out with George Harrison for a while too..
What a life, getting your knuckles strapped for spelling something wrong then going to the Cavern to see the Beatles on your lunch hour. Love me do, '62 . Small town ****. My dad always says "And your Mother just married for good looks" Lol. I was on my way to see the Stone's in '89 and my Dad was giving me a hard time saying " why do you want to see a bunch of old men for?..we would see then on a Saturday night in their prime" ****** part about it was I had a strict upbringing.. I'm not sure if it took though?

$85 an hour for a chain saw?
I'd like to say ",that's subjective but I think it dosent get more experience than Canada. I guess it's still subjective regardless. That's $680 per day. Do you think I should quit? .. And then what? Do you think I will make more ?what

$85 an hour for a chain saw?
I'd like to say ",that's subject, but I think it dosent get more experience than Canada. I guess it's still subjective regardless. That's $680 per day. Do you think I should quit? .. And then what? Do you think I will make more ?what
With the way you wrote it seemed like it was for $85 a day, I thought it couldn't be possible but then again some really love what they do & maybe it was.
Thansk

Latest posts

Back