Learning About Husqvarna 562xp's .. The Saga begins. (MUCH more to come BTW)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing is I know the guy who bought it, so I may see if he wants to sell it later on. If nothing else I'm sure others will show up.

The lathe adds a dimension to the hobby that will keep it interesting for years. I run mine more and more for simple stuff like bearing and seal installation tools, popup's, and decking cylinders. I put some on video but have tried to stick to simple mods with simple tools so the lathe doesn't fit the narrative...I will add more as time goes on. Saws like the 562 and 254 force the issue as simple things like base gasket deletes aren't possible..

If I could make a video request it would be more time with the lathe, such as how to set it up, find centers and so on. And also maybe a 50 cc class video series. Or maybe an all auto tune series, are they practical, have they proven themselves, will they stand the test if time?

There are alot of 30 year old saws out there still running but how long will husky continue to support the computer components . In 30 years will we see people on these forums drooling over a fabled el48 carb like we do over the hda199 or other nla unicorn parts today.

On the 465 in your latest video, was it muffler modded, if not, would it benefit from it?

On the 465 in your latest video, was it muffler modded, if not, would it benefit from it?
No and I really thing its choked up really badly so a muffler mod would help. The one thing I did notice was after an hour or so it went from rich to lean as it came off a cut. You could hear it surge a bit. I plan to buy a sacrificial muffler to do exactly that. Also actually today will do some plug checks to get a better idea of how its running. Have to say putting a better bar & chain combo on it helps. Notice how crisp that 562 turned out! As it's broken in its really come around. Its close to a match of a stock 372 now. A little less torque maybe with better chain speed at the higher RPM so what you loose is torque is made up with chain speed.....might be a .325 setup in its future!

The 562 is one saw I would love to have. There aren't too many around thsee parts, so my usual way of getting saws from a pile or a box of parts hasn't yeilded one yet. How much gain in compression did you see from the popup, I understand the popup was because of the tight clearance without the gasket. I was just wondering if the compression bump really made a noticeable difference in the cut?

The 562 is one saw I would love to have. There aren't too many around thsee parts, so my usual way of getting saws from a pile or a box of parts hasn't yeilded one yet. How much gain in compression did you see from the popup, I understand the popup was because of the tight clearance without the gasket. I was just wondering if the compression bump really made a noticeable difference in the cut?

Just wait, some of the 2013-14 versions will show up. Best to start with the six screw cases with an el46 or 48. Just less money required. Some of them should be getting to that service life end point by now in the logging community. Mine started as a blown up 2012 version with the five screw cases.. I put a new set of cases and a el48 when I built it. I might drop back to a el46 after the last one I built! Cases r cheap .. the el48 not so but the 46's go cheap on eBay because of the hesitation issue some had. But to your question, mine measured a 13-15 lbs boost the way I built it. Not huge but one thing was noticeable and that was how much easier it was to start. Its a three pull starter every time cold, one pull hot....every time.

Makes you wonder if alot of the hard start problems were just low factory compression

Has the latest piston and cylinder setup really changed significantly from the original? My 562 starts much more easily hot or cold even than when it was brand new, now that I have new cylinder/piston on it.

Do you ever check the o ring seals on the transfers, I've never personally had a 562, closest I have is my 550, but I've heard that they have a tendency to be bad from the factory.
BTW the 550 is a sweet little saw, it gives the 346 a run for its money.

Do you ever check the o ring seals on the transfers, I've never personally had a 562, closest I have is my 550, but I've heard that they have a tendency to be bad from the factory.

I have one right now that I'm evaluating and that's a possibility. Can stall it with brake clean sprayed on the transfer cap PTO side...:(

The saws I have built with those cap's, including the X-torq 365/372's; I just seal up with 1184 and the O-ring anyway. Just takes a variable out of the equation.

It really makes me wonder if I need to take mine off my 550xp I'm not a big fan if the intake setup either on these saws. I usually use sealant on it when I work reinstall them.

I've been looking for some pictures/video of anyone who has been opening up their 562 muffler, (I previously had a seniors moment here and wrote carb but meant muffler). Anyone seen pics of the easiest/best muffler gutting routine? I see several different written approaches but visual learning works best for me. Some guys are gutting it with some kind of a grinder or dremmel through the existing ports, others are drilling holes and welding on new exhaust port, still others are cutting and gutting then welding her shut again.

Have to say the one I though was leaking at the base gasket because the flange was right on the case....wasn't. It was leaking through the transfer cap. So I think that will be a standard tweak when I have one apart, Just like the 372xp BTW.

Well if I ever luck up on a 562 I'll remember to check it. As it is now I will just keep playing with my 350 conversions.

Back