Leaves Turning and Dropping on the Ash Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We dont have EAB here ...yet, as far as I know. every mile on the HWY there is a trap and even on every forestry and county road. I have 86 acres about 2 miles behind my house and it is about 40 to 50 percent white ash, would hate to see it all go. As much business and work it would bring me I Sure hope I never see it here, would rather see a good tornado come through to make work I haven't had this year then that nasty little bug!

Yooper,

Let's hope it stays that way, and some stupid Citiot dosn't bring the damn things with them to deer camp.

The ash tree's here are getting fewer by the day, and it's no big deal to anyone but us tree freaks it seems.

If the EAB were eating I-pods, it would be a national emergency.

Hang in there on the work side of things.
Something has gotta bust loose soon. Maybe the Manitou will start early this year with an Ice storm to kick off the annual war...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Really, everything here is still very green. Large Ash trees around here are mostly standing dead or down. Everything else is still very green. That said we has a wet August compared to most. This summer was perfect though June and July, the right amount of rain and temperatures in the low to mid 80's. August was wet, which it is usually very dry. We have seen less than 10 day above 90°, and in year past we'd have 40 days plus above 90°. The field corn that I'm surrounded with is doing great. Seem like the last month or so we are getting what the northeast was getting all summer long. We've got 6.5 to 7' corn with 2 or 3 well developed ears now.

It was for the most part a cool dry early summer here as well, corn looks good, probably better than a lot of the stuff down in IL and OH that they were still trying to mud in in June after their swampy spring. It sure seems like all the warm weather has been here the last 30 days or so. If It wasn't for the daylight to go by, I'd think the calendar has slipped a cog, spring is later, and so are the rest of the seasons. Nov and Dec are really late fall the last few years here. Note - from a farmer's perspective, double and triple cobs on one plant are not preferred, because one if not all are a bit stunted and have small kernels that are hard to get off the cob, or barren spots on the cob. Some of the best corn I've ever seen had big fat single cobs - 16-20 rows of kernels, planted thick on irrigated sandy ground was almost 230 bushels/acre - excellent for up here where 125 bu is the county average.

A good amount of trees have changed colors here too. Will be glad to see em drop early this year makes for better bird hunting:) If ya had the summer in Minn. we had in the U.P. maybe thats it....cool and dry. hell this week was the warmest 7 days in a row we had all year. In the high 70's and low 80's

Yoop-the tasty birds don't live in the woods, at least not ones big enough to eat. Pheasant season opens in a few weeks, all the reason to help my buddy combine corn...shotguns leaned against a fenceline tree when ya get down to the last couple rounds in a field. Grouse hunting is best done with full chainsaw gear on - otherwise you lose more blood than the birds you shoot. Our summer was about the same as yours - see above. If I could have this year every year, I'd take it.

ash are usually the first to turn and drop. short show of fall colors for the most part.

Back