Length of logs to mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some white oak, currently it's still in tree form, clean to about 24' I'm debating on how long to cut the logs, I'm thinking a 14' and a 10' or 2 12' sections. There is a slight change in trunk at about 12' not sure if that would affect the price or desirability in a negative way. Anybody have any suggestions?

IMG_0673.JPG

I want to sell it as live edge slabs so the knots aren't that big of a deal to me. The longest I could haul is 16' but that only leaves me with an 8' piece. I'll probably end up at 14' and 10'.

O.K. live edge and not structural or finish lumber. Might want to think about how you'd slice up the slabs before bucking it. The bend at 12' might be a good place to cut then 1 log won't have a bend in it. Besides the slabs you might be able to saw out some grade from the outer flitches, and/or some cants/beams from the center if those don't like like nice pieces for live edge.

Will you have buyer or will the slabs be dried/stored then marketed? As mentioned you can always make things shorter

O.K. live edge and not structural or finish lumber. Might want to think about how you'd slice up the slabs before bucking it. The bend at 12' might be a good place to cut then 1 log won't have a bend in it. Besides the slabs you might be able to saw out some grade from the outer flitches, and/or some cants/beams from the center if those don't like like nice pieces for live edge.

Will you have buyer or will the slabs be dried/stored then marketed? As mentioned you can always make things shorter

I have 3 parties interested in slabs currently and I haven't even tried to market them, all 3 are furniture makers.

I always thought of white oak as more of a dimensional lumber species than a slab species.
I contacted a mill that's semi local to me that makes flooring. They offered me $250 per 12' log. Seems really low to me.

I'm thinking the 12' will work the best with the way the wood bends. Next time I'm there I'll take a hard look and measure some stuff more accurately.

Just 'cause you asked for suggestions - That whole tree would be in my firewood pile, unless I needed a 12 x 12 to put under a bridge somewhere. I can't believe a mill offered you 250.00 for a 12' log from that, you should take the $$$$ and run before they see the log they bought. You said "it's clean to 24 ft " Where? That log has nothing but defects, knots, etc - There isn't a clear face in your pic. Best way to buck it? 18" lengths.

Just 'cause you asked for suggestions - That whole tree would be in my firewood pile, unless I needed a 12 x 12 to put under a bridge somewhere. I can't believe a mill offered you 250.00 for a 12' log from that, you should take the $$$$ and run before they see the log they bought. You said "it's clean to 24 ft " Where? That log has nothing but defects, knots, etc - There isn't a clear face in your pic. Best way to buck it? 18" lengths.

I showed one of the mill's pictures, one mill came out to look at it and said it was something they'd buy.
Around where I am trees this size are valued as more than firewood, as a slab the twisted grain and knots all make it have more character, that's what people pay for, just a plain Jane slab of white oak isn't interesting.
It's clean as in no rot or ants or cracks from felling, not clean as in "defect" free.

I have plenty of lesser wood to use as firewood, this will be slabs.

Thanks for the opinion though

IMG_0728.JPG

I estimate the log to weigh right around 4200lbs, all that was used to load it was a harbor freight winch and some steel ramps, thanks to this sight I learned about parbuckling and that's how I got it up there.

I cut my logs at 6'3" to fit in the bed of my truck. Easier to carry. As a weekend woodworking warrior, I rarely use anything over 4'. Also I don't cut to sell

You should of mentioned the diameter of the tree. In the first picture the tree looks like it is 15" in diameter. On the truck it looks 30 in diameter.

Chris

I cut my logs at 6'3" to fit in the bed of my truck. Easier to carry. As a weekend woodworking warrior, I rarely use anything over 4'. Also I don't cut to sell

You should of mentioned the diameter of the tree. In the first picture the tree looks like it is 15" in diameter. On the truck it looks 30 in diameter.

Chris

Yeah the wide side of the log is 32 1/2"... narrow side is 28" and it's about 13' 6" long.

View attachment 580670

I estimate the log to weigh right around 4200lbs, all that was used to load it was a harbor freight winch and some steel ramps, thanks to this sight I learned about parbuckling and that's how I got it up there.

Very glad you have learned so much. With a small winch using more strategy is all that is needed. Once you have done it it is easy peasy. Nice load for your truck. I got up to 45,000 lbs of wood until my supply ran out. Now my loads do not exceed 20,000 lbs. A very big suggestion is NEVER leave you wood just strapped down like it is shown in the picture. It will rock back and forth until it come loose. In my area we have many curves and hills so it is very important to have some wedges to keep wood stable. Take some good limb wood and cut a variety of them to fit your load. Many times you can take a wedge and tap it along the sides keeping them close to opposite of each other and they will stay in place with out extra straps.

If you are selling to a mill they will tell you what sizes they want. They wanted 14' 6'' or 16' 6'' from me. If you are cutting for you then it is up to you what will meet your needs the best. If you need some 18' slabs then it is difficult to cut them from 16' logs. I needed quite a bit of 7' dog eared fencing so cut several logs at 15'. Looks very good. Thanks

I want to sell it as live edge slabs so the knots aren't that big of a deal to me. The longest I could haul is 16' but that only leaves me with an 8' piece. I'll probably end up at 14' and 10'.

Remember the ends usually need to be 3'' longer than your lumber needs or 14' 6'' for a 14' , 16' 6'' for a 16' lumber requirement. The ends dry out the first causing the ends to be trimmed off. Some people wax the ends immediately to prevent this. Thanks

Very glad you have learned so much. With a small winch using more strategy is all that is needed. Once you have done it it is easy peasy. Nice load for your truck. I got up to 45,000 lbs of wood until my supply ran out. Now my loads do not exceed 20,000 lbs. A very big suggestion is NEVER leave you wood just strapped down like it is shown in the picture. It will rock back and forth until it come loose. In my area we have many curves and hills so it is very important to have some wedges to keep wood stable. Take some good limb wood and cut a variety of them to fit your load. Many times you can take a wedge and tap it along the sides keeping them close to opposite of each other and they will stay in place with out extra straps.

If you are selling to a mill they will tell you what sizes they want. They wanted 14' 6'' or 16' 6'' from me. If you are cutting for you then it is up to you what will meet your needs the best. If you need some 18' slabs then it is difficult to cut them from 16' logs. I needed quite a bit of 7' dog eared fencing so cut several logs at 15'. Looks very good. Thanks

I had it wedged on the back side, that's the way it wanted to roll, there's a knot hidden by the first strap all the way at the front that wouldn't let me roll it farther onto the truck.

45,000lbs of logs? That's 10 of the logs on my truck. What do you use to haul that with?

I'm trying to find a way to buy a skid steer/ loader and a gooseneck trailer so I can haul bigger loads.

I have had some success with some flatbeds and trailers, but started with a C 600 dump truck and a home made triple axle trailer. The dump trucks always worked well for me because they were so versatile. A tractor designed to pull a fifth wheel is great on the highway, but not so great in tight places.

I have a skid steer and yes it works great. I built two ramps that hook to the back of my dump truck so I can back it up into the truck bed. Hauling a 8,500 lb tractor does not always fit if you only have 20 or 30 logs to move. The USDA will not allow me to leave my equipment unattended even for the night so what goes in must come out. So when ever possible I use my portable winch that can pull and load all my logs however they are needed. Thanks

Back